Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - Dog smell
lovemykidstoo 09:05 AM 08-22-2014
I have read the thread about eliminating poopoo smell, but wondered if anyone had any tips for dog smell. We have a cockapoo and she is very clean. We bath her regularly, but she sleeps in a crate in the living room and when I come downstairs in the morning after the house is closed up for the night, it smells like a kennel and I hate it! Any advice?
AmyKidsCo 09:09 AM 08-22-2014
I'm not a dog person do we don't have one, but maybe try a spray air freshened or spraying white vinegar/water solution, burning a candle if you can, or wax tarts? I do wax tarts during the seasons that the windows are closed, and parents have commented how good my house smells.
sharlan 09:16 AM 08-22-2014
How often are you washing her bedding?

I would spray the kennel down with either Febrezz or OdoBan every morning.

We have a litter box downstairs and it stinks. I don't care how often it's dumped and washed, it still stinks to me. I keep a small can of car air freshener hidden behind the litter box. It helps, but my family complains about the strong cherry smell. I'd rather smell cherry than poop.
KBCsMommy 09:19 AM 08-22-2014
I hate that smell too!! I have a big dog and he doesn't get a bath nearly as much as I would like ( he is nearly 200 lbs.). He is indoors all the time too. We are lucky enough to have tiled floors all through our house. What I do to help with the smell is: Mop with a vinegar, water solution weekly (sometimes I add Peroxide), carpet powder (glade or pet fresh) couple times a week, Glade or febreze scentsy gets turned on first thing in the morning, Febreze spray every morning. I have also cleaned my rugs and carpets in the bedrooms with a vinegar and peroxide solution it really helps cut down on the smell.

A lot of times I bake in the mornings, cinnamon rolls or muffins for my kids. DCP always tell me my house smells great in the mornings!!

One DCM complained to me that she didn't understand why her house smelled like dog really bad but mine doesn't since her dog is smaller than mine.

Hope that helps
lovemykidstoo 09:29 AM 08-22-2014
All great tips, thank you guys!! I only wash her bed like every 3-4 weeks. I need to do that more regularly. I do have the candle warmer that I put the wax cubes in and that helps, but it takes awhile to heat up and melt in the morning, so that's hard. It smells great a pickup time though! I will use some of these tips.
jenboo 09:39 AM 08-22-2014
Maybe turn a fan on in the room she sleeps in to get the air circulating...
How is her breath? That could easily make a room stink
Leigh 09:54 AM 08-22-2014
Are you cleaning her ears regularly? Cockers are notorious for nasty ear problems-and those ears STINK! If ears are the issue, Zymox is an awesome product for keeping the ears clean...I'd clean ears weekly and use the ear solution once per week as a preventative, as well. What are you using for shampoo? Does the dog's skin and fur stink? Sometimes yeast on the skin can make a dog stinky, too. You can use a dandruff shampoo on the dog to kill skin yeast (let it sit on the dog for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off), or get an antifungal shampoo from your vet.

Last, nutrition: If your dog is not eating a top-quality food, that could be the problem. Honestly, if you're buying it at WalMart, it's not good enough. Some good brands to consider: California Natural, Innova, Healthwise, Wellness, & Blue. For cheaper, better foods, Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice, 4Health Grain Free (available at Tractor Supply).
missy 12:29 AM 08-23-2014
Every time I walk back into my house from being away I am hit with the dog smell! I have tried everything to find the culprit. We have hard floors so I began the exclusion method-- I removed every rug or mat from the house one at a time to try to rid the smell. I knew it had to be something absorbent. I even bought a new couch!!

The conclusion: if you have dogs, your house will smell like dog:-/

Personally I think they just need bathed more. But that is so much work!!

I am a tart warmer user every day still:-)
KidGrind 03:36 AM 08-23-2014
I have two dogs.

I don’t have a great sense of smell. I do worry about my home smelling like a dog. I have quizzed my most honest friend with a good nose. She says my home smells good.

I use two Freeze Breeze plug-in air fresheners. One in my downstairs hallway, near entryway and one in my living room. I also spray my carpet, rugs and sofas with Nature’s Miracle. Often parents commit how great my home smells.

In my home, I can’t smell anything beyond burnt popcorn, gas and poopy diapers.
daycarediva 10:42 AM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
How often are you washing her bedding?

I would spray the kennel down with either Febrezz or OdoBan every morning.

We have a litter box downstairs and it stinks. I don't care how often it's dumped and washed, it still stinks to me. I keep a small can of car air freshener hidden behind the litter box. It helps, but my family complains about the strong cherry smell. I'd rather smell cherry than poop.
wash bedding more often and I use just a little bit of vanilla in an old coffee mug in the oven, turned down as low as possible. It smells the entire house up like vanilla for HOURS. I do it every morning. I have also found extract oils work much the same way (orange and lavender are my other favs)

Litter box- ew. We have 5 cats (formerly feral indoor/outdoor) and because of my sensitive nose, I put a cat door to the garage and put two litter boxes out there.

DS has severe allergies so no other spray fragrance, aerosol or otherwise can be used. The pediatrician is the one who told me about the vanilla.
lovemykidstoo 06:07 PM 08-23-2014
I definately think I can wash her bed more often. I'll try that. I do have nature's miracle in case of skunk sprays. didn't think of that.

I don't clean her ears except after baths. It's somethign I have a hard time doing. makes me gaggy lol
Reply Up