Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Teacher/Children Ratio Apply During Nap Time?
Unregistered 02:29 PM 01-21-2021
Most of the kids at the large daycare are asleep from 12pm-2pm. We offer our assistant a break during those hours. Does the assistant need to be present with me when 12 children are asleep or can they leave and come back when the children are awake. In other words, can a teacher be left with 12 sleeping children or does there have to be an assistant for 12 kids even when they are asleep? Does the ratio only apply to when children are awake?
Cat Herder 02:47 PM 01-21-2021
My understanding is that, in centers, once the kids are down one provider can supervise the room since there are floaters and admin available onsite at all times. All but the infant room, if I remember correctly.

In family care, here, naptime is supervised and ratios stay the same. You can rotate in an approved sub, though.
PB&J 03:59 PM 01-21-2021
In Indiana, home based licensed care requires the same ratios, awake or asleep. Centers are allowed to reduce staff in nap rooms. So it will depend on your state’s regulations and how you are licensed (home or center). My CCR&R and my inspector generally answer my questions quickly; you may want to ask yours.
satcook 12:17 PM 01-24-2021
I work at a center in Kansas. We have to maintain ratio at all times.

So it must be state dependent.
Former Teacher 02:26 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Most of the kids at the large daycare are asleep from 12pm-2pm. We offer our assistant a break during those hours. Does the assistant need to be present with me when 12 children are asleep or can they leave and come back when the children are awake. In other words, can a teacher be left with 12 sleeping children or does there have to be an assistant for 12 kids even when they are asleep? Does the ratio only apply to when children are awake?
Unless it's changed, Texas allows 50% of staff at nap.

They also mandate that a caregiver can not work more than 10 hours in direct care a day.
CeriBear 04:23 AM 01-26-2021
Yes. We have to remain in ratio even during nap time.
Tags:naptime - requirements, supervision - active vs. passive
Reply Up