Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Kind Of Breakfast Do You Ladies Do?
Hunni Bee 04:57 PM 06-06-2011
At my center, we have homemade breakfasts 3 or 4 times a week. We rarely ever have "junk" breakfasts such as poptarts, donuts, etc., and we have a non-sugar cereal on the the days we have that.

The problem is, most of it goes in the trash. This morning we had sausage, scrambled eggs, wheat toast and apple slices. The SA kids ate most everything, but most everybody else nibbled at the sausage or the apple slices and trashed the rest.

If we have a not-so-healthy, high-sugar breakfast, everybody is begging for more.

When I was little, if given the choice between a hot breakfast and cold cereal or pop-tarts, the latter would have been in the trash. I don't get it...

What do you all serve?
GotKids 05:04 PM 06-06-2011
For many kids childcare is the only place they get a "real" meal. It may seem in vain when you see it get tossed away but I wouldn't lower your standards. Over time they will learn to eat the healthier things.

I don't serve cereal here and any pancake/waffle is whole grain and served with a pureed fruit topping. The kids here like omelets. They can pick they kind of cheese and which veggies they want in there. I also serve plain oatmeal and have different add in choices they can pick like PB and diced fruit or berries.
SunflowerMama 05:31 PM 06-06-2011
I make a lot of homemade whole wheat waffles and pancakes, french toast and muffins (cheaper and healthier). Then I'll top with organic honey or farmers market fruit jam or just cut up fruit. I'll also include a protein like eggs or turkey sausage or turkey bacon.

I would stick with the healthy meals and they'll get on board eventually if they know it's that or nothing. When I serve cereal it never has more than a couple of grams of sugar and always a ton of fiber.
WImom 05:43 PM 06-06-2011
I serve low sugar cereal with fruit and milk 3 days and then a hot breakfast the other 2 days. During summer it will probably more hot breakfasts since I won't be trying to get my kids out the door for school.
sharlan 06:13 PM 06-06-2011
fresh waffles and pancakes
scrambled eggs, bacon, toast
cold cereal, once or twice a week
yogurt

I give very small amounts and let them have more when they finish that.
wdmmom 06:44 PM 06-06-2011
The biggest hit here is pancakes, waffles, french toast...pretty much anything with syrup! The stickier, the messier, the sugarier, the better! LOL

They also love breakfast that includes bananas or strawberries.
PitterPatter 08:47 PM 06-06-2011
I usually make hot breakfasts. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, dippy eggs, toast, french toast, even biscuits and gravy sometimes. And of course fruit with every meal. Sometimes it's canned but usually fresh cut up apples or oranges, bananas are our breakfast fruits. If we have pancakes or waffles I serve apple sauce. Once in a while I cheat and serve oatmeal or mini wheats, life, or kix. I never serve poptarts for breakfast.
spud912 11:16 PM 06-06-2011
My favorites:

Scrambled eggs and cheese
Pan-seared eggs (over hard) with toast
Egg sandwich (usually on whole wheat English muffins with cheese and sliced ham)
Whole wheat waffles (regular or pecan)
Whole wheat pancakes (regular, blueberry, or pumpkin)
Whole wheat muffins (zucchini/carrot, blueberry, apple, or banana)
Whole wheat bread (banana or cranberry)
French toast (made from high fiber bread)
Turkey sausage whole wheat biscuits with sliced cheese
Bagels with cream cheese
Plain Greek yogurt with processed berries and granola
Smoothie (made with Greek yogurt, milk, frozen berries, and banana)

Side dishes:
Fruit (berries, melons, or bananas)
Turkey bacon or sausage
Cooked ham
Whole wheat toast with butter
Whole wheat biscuits

Once or twice a month I will serve cereal with milk (either regular cheerios or Raisin Bran Extra -- both of which are high in fiber). All of my meals are served with milk. If they refuse milk the substitute is water, but no juice.

Breakfast is really my thing. I LOVE making breakfast! If only I could have the same passion for lunch......
KEG123 05:14 AM 06-07-2011
Mostly it's just a pancake/waffle/oatmeal/muffins/french toast + fruit. Simple but delicious!

Oh and the only one who gets syrup is my own son. We buy the expensive stuff, and he ASKS for it. The other kids don't. So I sneak a drop onto my son's plate and they don't even notice. Applesauce or apple butter makes a great dipper too, not as sugary as syrup but still tasty!
SunflowerMama 05:15 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
My favorites:

Egg sandwich (usually on whole wheat English muffins with cheese and sliced ham)
Bagels with cream cheese

Side dishes:
Turkey bacon or sausage
Cooked ham
Whole wheat biscuits

Once or twice a month I will serve cereal with milk (either regular cheerios or Raisin Bran Extra -- both of which are high in fiber). All of my meals are served with milk. If they refuse milk the substitute is water, but no juice.

Breakfast is really my thing. I LOVE making breakfast! If only I could have the same passion for lunch......
I'm definitely heading to your place for breakfast!! Sounds amazing!
jojosmommy 10:24 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
My favorites:

Bagels with cream cheese

Side dishes:
Turkey bacon or sausage
Cooked ham
Whole wheat biscuits

How long did it take to get your kids to eat Greek yogurt? I have tried it and my kids HATE it. Do your kids have a favorite brand? Do you let them make their own parfait or how do you get them to eat it?

We eat: toast, cheerios, waffles, pancakes, egg bake, bagels- either with egg and cheese or pb, english muffins, blueberry muffins- all homemade of course. Fav fruits are blueberries, raspberries, bananas, apple slices, cantalope and applesauce. I don't offer straight syrup on our waffles/pancakes it is applsauce mixed with syrup so they don't get too much syrup in the AM. The kids love it and it is so much less mess. I never have sugar breakfasts in the am (poptarts, cinnamon rolls, etc) and my kids never ask for it. I offer milk only- no juice here.

All my kids eat breakfast in about 10 min and only one "picky" one. I buy what is on sale that week and I figure this works so why change it.
SandeeAR 10:40 AM 06-07-2011
pancakes w/ sugar free syrup
waffles w/ sugar free syrup
scrambled eggs
bacon
sausage crumbles
oatmeal
cream of wheat
muffins
toaster strudels
cinnamon toast
cinnamon raisen toast
cheerios & fruit loop mix (on a busy/lazy day)
donuts (on VERY rare occasions)
yogurt
fruit with each breakfast: apple, pears, peaches, raisens, banana, fruit coctail
spud912 10:54 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
How long did it take to get your kids to eat Greek yogurt? I have tried it and my kids HATE it. Do your kids have a favorite brand? Do you let them make their own parfait or how do you get them to eat it?
I'm really a firm believer that it really depends on the child. My daughter was raised on plain yogurt so she loves it. I have a dcg who likes it most days and a dcb who doesn't like it. I serve it and they will eat it or they don't. If they don't, I will save it and re-serve it for snack (instead of their favorite high-fiber granola bar). If they are hungry enough, they will eat it eventually. If not, then they usually eat a lot for lunch .

I really like Fresh and Easy brand, but it's a little pricey (at 99 cents for a small container). I have been buying Dannon Greek yogurt in the big container because it's the closest to the Fresh and Easy brand. Once in a while I will find it on sale for $2 for the big container, which is great!
Ariana 04:59 PM 06-07-2011
I use this site for great meal ideas:
http://weelicious.com/

Jessica Seinfelds book "Deceptively Delicious" has some great ideas too.

I also serve multigrain pancakes and I'll usually add protein powder for an extra boost. Then top it with 100% maple syrup. The kids love it. Muffins from scratch with fruit in the middle are a hit too.
Tags:breakfast
Reply Up