Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacuum
Unregistered 03:38 PM 09-07-2013
Sorry forgot my password so logged out!

We have a Dyson Animal that is about 7-8 Years old. We are just starting to shop for a new vacuum. We love the one we have, it just doesn't have the suction it used to have (never looses suction haha) still open to a dyson thou.

So what would vacuum do you suggest/recommend?
Memc2001 04:33 PM 09-07-2013
I used to have a Dyson but it was REALLY heavy. I purchased a Shark about 1.5 years ago. I really like it and it serves its purpose. Light enough for my kids to use too.
Blackcat31 04:45 PM 09-07-2013
I don't think I've ever owned anything but Kenmore canister vacs. They seem to last several years......atleast as long as your Dyson....for less than half the cost so that's my recommendation.

I bought a new one for my house and demoted the old one to daycare. So far it still works great!
Unregistered 06:51 PM 09-07-2013
Is Shark and Kenmore vacuum better than a (new) dyson? Not too worried about price, just want it to have great suction! It's hard on my back to bend over and pick some of the small things up. Want a vacuum with great suction!
Familycare71 07:22 PM 09-07-2013
I had one of the original dysons and my kids broke it
I tried three diff vacuums (diff brands and most compared themselves to dyson) and it wasn't the same- at all!
I am 100% dyson- I have their hand vac (w the long attachment) and a full size upright - wouldn't have anything else!
If you want to know my model # let me know...
jessrlee 08:12 PM 09-07-2013
I hear Kirby brand is really good. My MIL has had hers for 15 years!
DaycareMama 09:08 PM 09-07-2013
I had the old Dyson Animal. Had it about 10 years. Loved it. Just started to smell like animal and can't find replacement filters that fit. Bought the new Dyson Animal the Fushia one, 3 months ago. I like the new one. Very light weight, long cord, great suction and awesome attachments that come with it. BUT to me it doesn't feel like it will last 10 years again. I don't know. Maybe cause its so light weight? I love Dyson. Haven't had anything that compares to the suction power
LaLa1923 10:08 PM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by unregistered:
sorry forgot my password so logged out!

We have a dyson animal that is about 7-8 years old. We are just starting to shop for a new vacuum. We love the one we have, it just doesn't have the suction it used to have (never looses suction haha) still open to a dyson thou.

So what would vacuum do you suggest/recommend?
shark!!
Michael 01:37 AM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I hear Kirby brand is really good. My MIL has had hers for 15 years!

If price doesn't matter, try Kirby. We have one and it is great. We also have the Dyson Animal and it is great for quick cleaning. Kirby, by far, has more suction.
Lavender 05:54 AM 09-08-2013
I had an Oreck for 10 years and it was great. It's very light-weight and worked wonderfully. When it finally died I decided to get a heavier vacuum because my new house had this curly carpet and the lightweight didn't do as well at getting stuff that fell under the carpet fibers. I ended up with a Kirby bought from someone who bought it and then promptly moved to a house with no carpets. It is amazing, a real workhorse. I love that I can shampoo my carpets with it too. I've had it almost 4 years so far and I've never once had a problem.
Evansmom 08:05 AM 09-08-2013
We also had the Dyson animal for about 7 years and yes, ours also lost its suction over time. We just bought the new Professional Shark with a complete sealed HEPA filter and I adore it! It has adjustable suction for different surfaces and a ton of other cool features. Also (this is gross, sorry.) when we brought it home I had just vacuumed with our Dyson and when we tried out the Shark we filled up two canisters of dust and hair just downstairs! Ugh!!
Leigh 10:09 AM 09-08-2013
The best deal on vacuum cleaners, IMO, is a central vacuum system. I recently priced one, and for $1250, I get a vacuum that comes with free service (once a year) for the life of the unit, which is 30-50 years, according to the seller. I went into the store planning to purchase a Simplicity vacuum, but at $1000, it didn't compare to the central system. One thing I found very attractive about the central system was the attachments for my wood floors (I have carpet in only my main level living room and my lower level family room). There was also a toe-operated suction thingee that I can put in my kitchen where I can just sweep debris right into there and throw away my dustpan.

Dysons are fine, all of my siblings own them, but I have tried them, and don't find them to be any better than my Shark Navigator. Kirby and Simplicity both make awesome vacuums, but for the price compared to the central system, I've decided to go with central.
Lavender 10:31 AM 09-08-2013
We are renting a house with a central vacuum system and it does not have good suction (and I find the long/wide hose annoying to move around). It might just need to be serviced though. It is probably 20+ years old, I'm sure the newer systems don't have as annoying of a hose lol. I just use my Kirby instead. I'm impressed how unobtrusive the outlet in each room actually is.
Unregistered 11:29 AM 09-08-2013
I would love to get a central vacuum system!! Since we rent and won't be able to buy until next summer, that won't work yet. But planning on one for the new house!! There are so many choices for vacuums. I have heard good and bad things about Kirby's. I have used one before and it was so heavy plus storing all the attachments.
Childminder 11:31 AM 09-08-2013
I love my Oreck! 13 years and still running strong.

Kirby's are great if you have the $$$ to afford them, they run about the same as a small car, lol. I also found that they need a large space to run in so unless you have a large home and plenty of room to navigate I wouldn't get one.

My daughter and a dcm work for a house cleaning company and they both have said they don't like dysons but I have no experience.
Tags:2013, vaccum, vaccum cleaners, vacuum, vacuum cleaner
Reply Up