Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>EIN Number
tenderhearts 01:06 PM 12-15-2015
I have been a licensed daycare for many years but have never gotten one. Should I have one or is it really necessary?
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I have been a licensed daycare for many years but have never gotten one. Should I have one or is it really necessary?
https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...r-(EIN)-Online

Takes minutes to get and you'll never have to use your SS# again.

They arent required but worth it IMHO.
Thriftylady 01:16 PM 12-15-2015
Get one! Protects your Social! Fill in one short form and have it instantly.
Laurel 02:35 PM 12-15-2015
It is so easy and you won't need to give a parent your social security number. As someone who got their identity stolen take it from me, I only give out my SS number when absolutely necessary. I was ready to give up my dentist of many years because their form asked for my social security number. I don't think so! Luckily we weren't out any money but it is a real hassle. Why risk it?
tenderhearts 08:46 AM 12-22-2015
Ok thanks, what if in the event I ever quit daycare do I just not use it then? and does this pose any "red flags" with the IRS? not that I'm doing anything wrong but it's just a scary thought.
Thriftylady 09:13 AM 12-22-2015
Ok thanks, what if in the event I ever quit daycare do I just not use it then? and does this pose any "red flags" with the IRS? not that I'm doing anything wrong but it's just a scary thought.
No it really isn't a big deal, but like a Social it will be yours forever. So just keep it in case you need it later in life. If you ever loose or forget it, you can call and they will help you. It will just mean hold time lol.
tenderhearts 09:48 AM 12-22-2015
Great thank you so much!
tenderhearts 03:27 PM 12-22-2015
Ok so I have more questions, I feel kind of stupid. As I was answering the questions I didn't really know how to answer them so I looked up and found a family childcare tip webpage on how to fill it out well I still don't get how to answer the questions.
When asked the reason for requesting an ein it said to select started a new business, even if you've been in business for a long time, so I did, but then it asks when was it started, well my business started in around 2002. Then it asks what type of business so when I select social services (childcare is listed) then on the next screen it asks for what type of business, so I put in childcare, but on the final copy it keeps saying healthcare and childcare. No where on the application does it say anything about healthcare. Does anyone know the answers to these? Sorry it seems so simple.
permanentvacation 03:34 PM 12-22-2015
Yes, get an EIN number. You don't want to have to give your personal social security number out to all of your daycare parents for them to use on their taxes. For your safety, get an EIN and give them that number rather than your social security number.
Thriftylady 03:35 PM 12-22-2015
Are you sure you are on the IRS.GOV site? I would check that first. It was so easy to do for me. I don't remember if it said anything about healthcare when I did it though. I know there are sites out there that charge for this, and it is free.
tenderhearts 07:57 PM 12-22-2015
Yes it is. I guess I just don't know the best way to answer those questions.
Tags:ein
Reply Up