Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Sign In Sheet Privacy Issue?
Mary Poppins 09:26 PM 01-17-2012
So I took advice from another thread and began having my parents sign in/out daily instead of me logging their attendance. But I notice they are all using the child's full name (first and last) on my sheet (which is a universal one for everyone to use). Is this a privacy issue?

Part of me says yes but part of me says no, because at school when I pick up one of my dcb's the sign in/out sheet has the child's full name and a parent's signature. Nothing private or hidden there, really.

Still, should I start a new one and tell them first names only just to maintain a level of privacy? Or just allow them to continue? Are they even expecting that much privacy? Obviously they are comfortable with it, right, or they wouldn't do it?
PitterPatter 10:09 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
So I took advice from another thread and began having my parents sign in/out daily instead of me logging their attendance. But I notice they are all using the child's full name (first and last) on my sheet (which is a universal one for everyone to use). Is this a privacy issue?

Part of me says yes but part of me says no, because at school when I pick up one of my dcb's the sign in/out sheet has the child's full name and a parent's signature. Nothing private or hidden there, really.

Still, should I start a new one and tell them first names only just to maintain a level of privacy? Or just allow them to continue? Are they even expecting that much privacy? Obviously they are comfortable with it, right, or they wouldn't do it?
I avoid this problem by each child having their own sign in sheet. We are required to have 1 for each for subsidy clients anyway so I just do it for everyone. Maybe you could do it that way. You never know what kind a bur a parent could get under the saddle later.
awestbrook713 03:57 AM 01-18-2012
I don't know whether this is an issue or not since all my families know each other so first and last names aren't an issue.

Have parents made a fuss about their childs name being visible to other parents? If parents aren't making an issue out of it I wouldn't worry about it. You could always call your licensor too and see what they suggest or if they think its a problem. I myself wouldn't have had a problem with my childs full name being visible but I may just be too trusting.
Kaddidle Care 04:31 AM 01-18-2012
I never really thought about it. Ours have both first and last names as well. I've never had anyone complain about it.
Cat Herder 05:09 AM 01-18-2012
I doubt it since they already KNOW who is coming in and out all day.

It is required by the State here and has to be kept on file for two years.

Now, posting it outside the building would be pushing your luck, IMHO.
Mary Poppins 08:18 AM 01-18-2012
Thanks for the advice. I guess if anyone questions it I will deal with it then.
WImom 08:34 AM 01-18-2012
We have to put first and last name on a sheet provided by the state so I'm thinking it's not a privacy issue.
daycare 08:36 AM 01-18-2012
Thanks for the advice. I guess if anyone questions it I will deal with it then.
i dont think that anyone would have an issue with it. Like someone else said, the school district deals with it the same way. The last time I had to pick up my daughter from school sick, I had to sign her out by printing her full name, printing my full name and signature. On the sign sheet I could read all of the other students and parents names that had picked their child up during school hours for one reason or another.....

I do mine separate in a 3 ring note book with dividers. Each child has their own section. This way if I need to put a personal note in there I can.
meganlavonnesmommy 08:53 AM 01-18-2012
My sign in sheets are seperate for each child, so privacy isnt an issue. I have an organizer that hangs on the wall and each family has a file folder with a sing in sheet. They grab their file, and sign in and out. No one else sees their file.
JennyBear 10:35 AM 01-18-2012
my sign in/out sheet is done weekly and I have all of the children's first names on it. Parents just put what time they arrived and picked up and they initial. No issues with privacy since it only has first names on it.
familyschoolcare 11:01 AM 01-18-2012
I do not see how it is a privacy issue. My sign in and out sheet only tell who was here and when. That is not exactly information I need to keep a secert from other people. I knwo it is not exactly public infomation but is it private information? Is there something on your sign in and out sheet other than who was in attendance what day/time?
Mary Poppins 12:08 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Is there something on your sign in and out sheet other than who was in attendance what day/time?
Nope, just names and dates and times. I have a separate "owie" sheet for them to fill out if there is something I need to be made aware of but that's private and between myself and the parent.

So the consensus seems to be I am good. It's always nice to have other opinions on these things.
Oneluckymom 02:55 PM 01-18-2012
No, not a privacy issue. It's the same at a center...all the childrens names are on one sheet for that class, find your kids name and sign them in.
sahm2three 08:33 PM 01-18-2012

This isn't a problem for me because I write their first names in before I open. I write down the names of the kids in the order I expect them for the day. Then the parents just put the time down and initial it.
beachgrl 04:30 AM 01-19-2012
Yah I just have their first names written down on the sheet so dont think its an issue for me but aim nit crazy about doing a separate sign in for each child either, should be fine.
kinderlime 11:15 AM 12-31-2012
Kinderlime (http://www.kinderlime.com) has an app KinderCenter on the apps store for Sign In/Out of parents. The app assigns a separate pin for each parent and caregiver and using that pin, they sign in/out at an iPod Touch station at your daycare. You can pull up reports on the website to track attendance and bill families accurately.

So the parent see only a login button on the station and hence each families privacy is protected.
MarinaVanessa 02:25 PM 12-31-2012
I don't think that anyone would have an issue about this either but I personally just have a 3 ring binder with divider tabs (one for each child) and keep separate attendance sheets for each child. Each tab has the child's name on it so the parent only has to find their child's name and sign in or out.

I personally make it a choice to open the tab for them and write in the time so that it's exact (and so late parents don't try to make it seem like they're on time) and all they have to do is sign.

EDITED TO ADD: My sign in sheet is an excel sheet with numbers 1-31 (for the days in the month) in the first column and places for the time in, signature and time out and another signature.
Meeko 03:10 PM 12-31-2012
I have a separate sheet for each child. Each month, I print off a calendar for each child. They are in alphabetical order and in a binder. Parents just turn to their child's page and sign in /out with time and initials.

I prefer the calendar to just a sheet as I can see at a quick glance that Henry wasn't here "last Tuesday" rather than having to figure it out from a written sheet date.

Parents turn straight to their own page...so no privacy problem at all.
daycaremom76 03:11 PM 12-31-2012
I've never had anyone have an issue either. But last year I switched over to separate sheets for each child. My issue was parents were signing the wrong kids out, writing their own names, etc...... so I just got tired of reminding them to sign their own kid out! I have 8 kids and got these mail box racks from Lakeshore that were like $10 each (on sale) now each child has their own mailbox and my parents LOVE it! I print off a calendar each month with the kids name at the top and they just have to put the time in/out and their signature under the correct date. I also keep a folder in there for each child so that way I can put notes in there as something comes up and don't have to remember at the end of the day to give them something.
Tags:privacy, sign in
Reply Up