Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Explaining Rules
Ariana 12:31 PM 02-20-2019
I have an 18 month old who is having a lot of trouble understanding rules. One rule in particular is no toys in the trampoline and one person at a time. She has been with me since September but every day I have to remind her no toys or only one friend.

Here is how it usually goes:
She gets in with toys in hand, I tell her to take the toys out. She gets out, stares at me. I tell her to take the toys out, she complies. I ask her ‘do you want to go in the trampoline’ she smiles and proceeds to get in with the toys. I tell her “no toys, just Amy” and she gets out and stares at me. There is zero comprehension of what I am trying to tell her. I have never had a kid not get it after a couple of times. Similar situation when telling her only 1 friend at a time.

Any ideas? Any tricks that might help?
Cat Herder 12:38 PM 02-20-2019
Maybe try "Put toys away, first, Amy."

I have one 17 months who can't comprehend "Come here, please", "Tina, come here.", "Please Tina, walk to me.", "Here, here, here" "Ferthe luva....."

Sometimes we have to think out of the box.
Ariana 04:05 PM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Maybe try "Put toys away, first, Amy."

I have one 17 months who can't comprehend "Come here, please", "Tina, come here.", "Please Tina, walk to me.", "Here, here, here" "Ferthe luva....."

Sometimes we have to think out of the box.
This is her 100%! Today we were getting ready to go outside and she just looks around completely bewildered. I had to coax her into the entryway by waving my hand furiously to “come here”. In the end I had to go take her hand and lead her over. I don’t get it!

I will try “toys away first, THEN trampoline”. Tomorrow is a new day
Tin Blues 07:49 AM 02-21-2019
Sorry, I got stuck on the trampolines bit. Do you live in a state where trampolines are still allowed?
Ariana 08:39 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
Sorry, I got stuck on the trampolines bit. Do you live in a state where trampolines are still allowed?
I am legally unlicensed in Canada
Tags:18 month old, rules
Reply Up