Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Diaper Changes I Volunteer?
helpfullion 09:56 PM 06-26-2014
Hi I am a volunteer at a local daycare. The daycare is ran out of a neighbors house and she has 7 kids she watches ranging in ages from 1 to 8. I volunteer a couple days a week doing odd jobs like reading a story to the kids or helping make lunch or snacks or diaper changes.

Sorry if this is TMI will try and be as discreet as possible.

So yesterday I was volunteering there and a child needed a diaper change he is three. His diaper was wet so I started changing him. But during the change he started pooping I figured I would let him continue and not put his diaper back around him. Well it was a log and it got close to the end of the out stretched diaper so I lifted the diaper up a bit to not get anything dirty. I was told by the daycare lady I volunteer for if that happens again try and close the diaper.

So I was wondering has this happened to anyone here before? Not just going but going that much? we asked the mother and she said he has been pooping regularly. Also was wondering could wiping have caused this to happen? or was it just like he had to go?

Sorry if its TMI I am looking to get into this field and thought I should ask some questions and such and this one is as good a place to start as any.
Shell 05:28 AM 06-27-2014
I also put the diaper back on if a child starts going during a changing. I would say yes, unfortunately, it is normal for a kid to go that much. You really would be surprised how long of a bm a little child can make- it never ceases to amaze me, and I am so grossed out by all pooping- I don't think I will ever get used to it- yuck
Play Care 07:06 AM 06-27-2014
Are you legally allowed to change diapers? In my state this would be a huge no-no for a volunteer. I would make sure this is even allowed.

I'll be honest and say that at 3, unless he had diarrhea, pooping during a change is odd (the amount is normal). When I have 3 yo's who are still in diapers they are changed standing up in the bathroom when wet and on a pad on the bathroom floor if a messy BM. Had he started pooping he would have been placed on the toilet to continue. I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't happen again
But yeah, only infants get changed on the changing table here - certainly not 3 yo preschoolers.
Reply Up