Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Playroom - Will it Work?
dreamer 06:23 PM 03-14-2017
If the room where the kids of my home daycare do a lot of their activities (free play, circle time, etc.) is on the small side, will it be okay?

Does anyone else use a small room?

I figured that if the room is too cramped for a big enough table, we might use the kitchen table to do crafts or other things we need a table for so that I can free up room in the playroom for other things. Also, although the playroom may be small, the backyard where they would have recess is very big. What do you guys think?
lovemydaycare0912 06:56 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by dreamer:
If the room where the kids of my home daycare do a lot of their activities (free play, circle time, etc.) is on the small side, will it be okay?

Does anyone else use a small room?

I figured that if the room is too cramped for a big enough table, we might use the kitchen table to do crafts or other things we need a table for so that I can free up room in the playroom for other things. Also, although the playroom may be small, the backyard where they would have recess is very big. What do you guys think?

How small is small? And what ages do you have?
daycare 07:04 PM 03-14-2017
I have a very small house and a big backyard so I hold almost all of my class time outside
dreamer 07:12 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by :
How small is small? And what ages do you have?
I actually don't know exactly the size of the room, which is why I'm a little nervous about the size. I'm interested a house that I saw for sale online, and have yet to buy it.

The children would be between 1 and 5. It would be me alone taking care of them, so it would only be a handful of kids.
This is the image I have for reference, from the site:

As you can see its a little ambigious!

dreamer 07:13 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by :
I have a very small house and a big backyard so I hold almost all of my class time outside
This is something I can consider. The yard is very large
LysesKids 07:22 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I totally get this... @ one time I had the same situation. What you need to consider is if you have days on end of bad weather that requires indoor time only, can your space support the # of kids you are registered/licensed for or will you have to "lose one" to function sanely?

I did all my crafts in my kitchen/dining area for that exact reason... my living room/daycare space was for naps & play & my personal bedroom held a few PnP's (my dd's space was off limits). At the time I did 0-3's, now only do 1-18 months lol & still fit 4 in 500 sq ft not including the outdoor space... my kids are grown & gone and I live in an even smaller home than before lol
daycare 07:28 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I totally get this... @ one time I had the same situation. What you need to consider is if you have days on end of bad weather that requires indoor time only, can your space support the # of kids you are registered/licensed for or will you have to "lose one" to function sanely?

I did all my crafts in my kitchen/dining area for that exact reason... my living room/daycare space was for naps & play & my personal bedroom held a few PnP's (my dd's space was off limits). At the time I did 0-3's, now only do 1-18 months lol & still fit 4 in 500 sq ft not including the outdoor space... my kids are grown & gone and I live in an even smaller home than before lol
My whole house excluding bedrooms is daycare so I split up the kids On bad weather days. I have an assistant so some with me in one room and some with the assistant in the other.
However in CA those days are very few. Sorry sounds like I'm weather bragging.

Either way weather or not. We conduct circle time together in one room and then split into small group every day into separate rooms
Snowmom 07:48 PM 03-14-2017
My tips:
Use as much wall space as you can for play.
Magnetic boards, lego flats w/mounted baskets to hold blocks, book racks... anything you can get off the floor.

Also, furniture that has a double duty: benches, chairs and tables with storage.

I would even take off the closet doors and increase that useable space.
dreamer 07:56 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by :
My tips:
Use as much wall space as you can for play.
Magnetic boards, lego flats w/mounted baskets to hold blocks, book racks... anything you can get off the floor.

Also, furniture that has a double duty: benches, chairs and tables with storage.

I would even take off the closet doors and increase that useable space.
Great Advice! Thank you! I especially like the idea of taking the closet doors off.
LysesKids 08:02 PM 03-14-2017
My whole house excluding bedrooms is daycare so I split up the kids On bad weather days. I have an assistant so some with me in one room and some with the assistant in the other.
However in CA those days are very few. Sorry sounds like I'm weather bragging.

Either way weather or not. We conduct circle time together in one room and then split into small group every day into separate rooms
never had the option to have an assist except DD (an adult in Navy now) & my kids were young enough that circle time wasn't an option; even less so now - 3 of the 4 are under 7 months lol
Pestle 08:06 PM 03-14-2017
My state requires 35 square feet per child if they're in just one room--and I like having a big space with a quiet corner for the main playroom. (It's the former closet with the door taken off!)

You may end up unhappy with it if you buy this house, since this is the space you'll be spending most of your time in all day.
dreamer 08:12 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by :
You may end up unhappy with it if you buy this house, since this is the space you'll be spending most of your time in all day.
An important point, I'll consider this. Honestly a big space would be ideal. However, my current bedroom is very small, and I've never taken issue with it. Small space will likely not bother me, I'm just hoping I can make that space do what it needs to do for the kids. I would hate to give up on that house, I like it very much!
lovemydaycare0912 08:38 PM 03-14-2017
I think it's manageable by being creative especially if you have a large outdoor area. Hwoever, if you are looking to buy, I would keep looking to see if you find something you like better.
Cat Herder 05:08 AM 03-15-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
My state requires 35 square feet per child
Mine, too, with the caveat "usable" space.

Usable Space translates to the room dimensions minus the space the furnishings take up. There should literally be 35 square foot of empty space, per child. If you only have 70 sq ft of clear space, you can only keep 2 kids.

* Yes, they bring tape measures with them at each inspection. Some will even count temporary structures like collapsible play tunnels if they are in a mood during a surprise inspection.

OP, double check your regs, first. These "little" details are usually well hidden in the small print.
Pestle 05:45 AM 03-15-2017
Log me as Team Don't Buy the House. Yes, you could potentially make it work, but you'd be fighting against the house in order to make it work. No matter how much you love the rest of the house, its primary function is to be both a comfortable, usable residence and a comfortable, usable workplace, and this house is not going to meet that function in a way that reduces your stress--it'll increase it.
Pestle 05:51 AM 03-15-2017
Addendum

We all had to make do when we opened our family day cares, and that's why there are so many helpful hints in this thread about fitting into a small room. But you've got a golden opportunity to assess what's most critical and what will make you happiest in your daily operations, and go out and buy a house that creates no barriers to those critical and comfort functions. Don't buy a house that makes you bend over backwards to force it to function as a day care.
daycare 05:59 AM 03-15-2017
Addendum

We all had to make do when we opened our family day cares, and that's why there are so many helpful hints in this thread about fitting into a small room. But you've got a golden opportunity to assess what's most critical and what will make you happiest in your daily operations, and go out and buy a house that creates no barriers to those critical and comfort functions. Don't buy a house that makes you bend over backwards to force it to function as a day care.
I agree with this. I had to make due with what we have now and I love it. I wouldn't go back to a huge space if you paid me more money. We have less accidents, arguments and mess.
We are close in proximity, but not too close that gives us the ability to provide good supervision.
I'm moving again to a house 3x this size of what I live in now, but I'm keeping the daycare the same size.

If you can afford the house and you love it, not like it ...LOVE IT. Go for it. You will find a way to make it work. You will get creative and build in the space to make it your own. If money allows, you can always build on to your home.
Meeko 01:11 PM 03-15-2017
My state requires 35 square feet per child if they're in just one room--and I like having a big space with a quiet corner for the main playroom. (It's the former closet with the door taken off!)

Same room requirements here in Utah too.
Pestle 03:28 PM 03-15-2017
If you can afford the house and you love it, not like it ...LOVE IT. Go for it. You will find a way to make it work.
Just remember that a house is often a bigger commitment than a spouse! Make sure you aren't marrying him because he's hunky and you believe you can change him, is what I'm saying. If the house is gorgeous but not easy to operate a day care in, swipe left.
dreamer 06:32 PM 03-15-2017
Idea -- start off very small, so that the little room is enough.
Save up and expand the house.
Tags:playroom layout, space, space %, space percent
Reply Up