Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Worker Runs Over 3 Yr Old With Truck
Tucker 07:38 PM 03-08-2013
http://tiftongazette.com/local/x6577...truck-in-Omega

This is the first time I have tried to post a link. I usually do not post as I am more of a lurker and I absolutely LOVE this site. I would like to hear your thoughts on this, ladies. This happened in my community and I see a lot of red flags here. Let me know if the link is not working.
Childminder 08:14 PM 03-08-2013
Hmmm...Why would she not be buckling the children into car seats every time they got into a vehicle?
Candy 08:39 PM 03-08-2013
Why did she go back to the daycare instead of just calling 911?
snbauser 04:57 AM 03-09-2013
Horrible. There are so many things wrong with this. First they don't mention how old the second child is but I know my kids held my hands the moment we were near a parking lot until they were at least 5 or 6 years old, maybe older. Secondly, to ASSUME a child got into the car without checking before she left??
Third, a 3 year old should be buckled into a car seat so even if she though the girl had climbed into the car she should have been going over to buckle her car seat. Fourth, why on earth would she drive back to the daycare center Hello!! call 911!!!
rmc20021 05:25 AM 03-09-2013
There sure is a lot wrong with this story...there is no way a 3 yo can possibly open a car door and climb into a SILVERADO unassisted, so for her to even expect this child to enter the vehicle on it's own is unrealistic. i have a little sunfire...low to the ground, and any time I transport kids I ALWAYS put them into the car and buckle them in. I won't move the car until I'm confident everyone is buckled in * having such a small car, means I do not transport usually, so when I do, it's only 2-3 kids...but still.

And why would she pull forward after hitting the child initially not knowing where the child was at?

I once cared for an infant in her home for a few months. After I had been gone for several months I got a phone call from the mom asking if I would come back as when I'd left, they put her into a home daycare. It was run by a mother and daughter. One day another child was getting picked up and both the mother and daughter thought the little girl was with the other.

Unfortunately, she was with neither and had gotten behind the car of the parent who was picking up their child and they ran the little girl who was not even 2 yo over with the car.

FORTUNATELY, the wheels missed her, but she was badly burned by the exhaust on her legs and lower abdomin.

I went back to caring for that little girl and although I've always, always been extremely cautious with kids, especially those that do not belong to me, I became even more cautious. Changing those bandages on her burns was a real eye opener. That situation could have easily ended so much worse.
Hunni Bee 06:12 AM 03-09-2013
This was not an "unfortunate accident". Yes, it was.very unfortunate, but no accident in the real sense of the.word.

Number one, why would you strike up a conversation with someone and you have children to watch in a parking lot? Why would you not only assume a three year old got into an SUV unassisted, but then not even turn around and verify it? Did she not care if they had their seatbelts on either...hell the child should have been in a carseat at 3! Then, she takes the child back to her house after running over her?? What if she had died in her car? And who knows what kind of cockamamie story she'd have given at the hospital if someone hadn't flagged down the police.

This was so so wrong and preventable. That woman needs her a$$ kicked then thrown in jail.
Starburst 12:18 PM 03-09-2013
It seems like she was paying more attention to the person who parked next to her (the one she was talking to) than where the kids she was watching. It seems like she didn't follow safety protocols:

*Was she not holding their hands near the street/parking lot?
*Did she watch the children go into the car?
*Didn't she look in the car to make sure that the child was properly strapped in before they left? That should be manditory no matter what age he was.
*If the child was able to talk, why did she not ask "Is everyone ready to go back to the daycare? _______ are you ready?" It's playful and fun but is still a helpful way to make sure you didn't miss anyone.
*Even if the child couldn't talk, didn't she do a quick roll call? "Okay do we have everyone?_______ are you here?" or even "okay ______ is here and _____ is here"
*Afterwords, why did she take the child back to the daycare and then to the hositle instead of calling 911? Because in CPR and first aid classes they say you are NEVER supposed to move someone who is injured if they are injured unless they are at greater risk of more injury due to their position or location. Even if she had another child she should waited for the EMTs. It would have been MUCH quicker than taking her to the daycare then to the hospital- and at least they would have given her the care she needed while on the way to ER.

Everyone knows that accidents happen, espesually with children. But it just seems like there was more than 1 or 2 lapses of judgement on her end. Maybe her center didn't go over the safety procedures well enough of what to do during an emergency or proper field trip guidelines or maybe they did and she just panicked. But chances are either way, even if the girl survives, the teacher may be suspended or fired (or even willingly quit) and will most likely not work with children again (either willingly, legally, or because other centers just wont hire her).
Springdaze 05:00 PM 03-09-2013
I can see where she was very neglectful, but she must still feel horrible
Tucker 12:18 AM 03-11-2013
Thank you so much ladies! I too, felt that this could have been prevented. I am still not understanding why she didn't place both children in the vehicle herself and strap them in their carseats instead of 'assuming' that the 3 yr old had got into the truck! Even so, it is a truck, when she was leaving surely she noticed that 1 child wasn't there? The little girl is doing well since surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. The woman is the director of the daycare. Do you think they will shut her down over this? Do you think they should? Thanks for your input.
Play Care 03:16 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Horrible. There are so many things wrong with this. First they don't mention how old the second child is but I know my kids held my hands the moment we were near a parking lot until they were at least 5 or 6 years old, maybe older. Secondly, to ASSUME a child got into the car without checking before she left??
Third, a 3 year old should be buckled into a car seat so even if she though the girl had climbed into the car she should have been going over to buckle her car seat. Fourth, why on earth would she drive back to the daycare center Hello!! call 911!!!
This was my thought - a 3 yo is still in a five point harness. I don't have any 3 yo's who can buckle those seats themselves, but even if they could I always check the buckle to make sure it's clicked in and tightened, etc.

My mini van does not have a back up cam so I am extra cautious about backing out, making sure everyone is accounted for before the car pulls out. Something seems off here.
Tucker 07:42 PM 03-11-2013
Update

http://www.walb.com/story/21563137/s...d-was-run-over
Tags:accidents, injury
Reply Up