Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You All Think?
Country Kids 01:58 PM 02-21-2012
My hubby and I were talking about my issues with stress. We both know what is causing it but......we are working on fixing it, not going to happen soon though.

One issue is I never seem to be able to get into the doctors, dentist, optomitrist, etc. when I need to. I had called to get my two childrens eyes checked and mine also last month on MLK day. The office would only take 2 family members per day. I made it for my kids as they also had the day off from school.

Been trying to get into the dentist forever but they are always closed when I'm off or we were going to be out over a vacation so no chance there. They fill up very, very fast for appts. When I did get in nothing but bad news during check up.

My doctor is pretty good about always having openings but is closed 1/2 day on Fridays. Most doctor, dentists, etc. are closed here on Fridays or only opened 1/2 days.

One idea my hubby had was to (when redoing contract/handbook) is to just take one day off a month and not really take a vacation time. That way I would know each month what day I'm having off and could make all my appts.
I think that is a good idea but I would get no real vacation time. Yes, I would take a 3 day weekend every month but I would get no real time off with my kids-Christmas break, sprink break, etc.

What do you guys think? I have absolutely no one that can sub for me-that is why I'm in this perdicament.
bunnyslippers 02:33 PM 02-21-2012
Could you add in more vactation/personal time to your contract? I would try to keep my vacation week, and maybe alternate every other month taking off a day for appointments. Three day weekends go way too fast, and I am a firm believer in a week long vacation to keep your sanity.

It's your business, and you can add in more time if you need it. Hang in there - stress is no good for anyone!
bice99 02:37 PM 02-21-2012
Don't lose your vacation time. Just take days off when needed and plan as much in advance as possible. I have been closed on Wednesdays since last June. Our dentist isn't there on that day, but my girls' dr is so I schedule their appointments, the vet, whatever else on Wednesdays. I volunteer in my girls' classrooms all day and they get out 1.5 hours early on Wednesdays so we get extra time together in the afternoons. Sometimes we get to do something fun (OMSI, the zoo), other times it's appointments or errands but whatever it is, my girls get me all to themselves
Country Kids 02:51 PM 02-21-2012
Here's what I have now for days off. 3 weeks vacation ( I know sounds like alot), 5 personal days, and Federal Holidays. This is the first year in 17 years I have done this and its not going how I had planned.

I took my first week vacation during Christmas. Used my second personal day in December two weeks before vacation on a Friday and the following Monday was very, very sick. Took my third personal day for that. My very first personal day was used in Sept. for a memorial sevice. Two Mondays ago, I was sick again (thanks to all the dck's) and took my 4th one. This Thursday, I'm using my very last one up to attend my son's performance at school and get more dental work done. My second vacation will be spring break and then I think I will use my last one for more personal days. I have alot more things to get through for the year. Graduation, last day of schools, field trips, and then school registrations in the summer.

I had planned on using Federal Holidays for appt. but everyone is either closed or totally booked 2 months ahead of time.

So I'm not sure what to do. I will contemplate it a little more and decide more in the summer as I put new contracts/handbooks out in September.
momofboys 02:58 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
My hubby and I were talking about my issues with stress. We both know what is causing it but......we are working on fixing it, not going to happen soon though.

One issue is I never seem to be able to get into the doctors, dentist, optomitrist, etc. when I need to. I had called to get my two childrens eyes checked and mine also last month on MLK day. The office would only take 2 family members per day. I made it for my kids as they also had the day off from school.

Been trying to get into the dentist forever but they are always closed when I'm off or we were going to be out over a vacation so no chance there. They fill up very, very fast for appts. When I did get in nothing but bad news during check up.

My doctor is pretty good about always having openings but is closed 1/2 day on Fridays. Most doctor, dentists, etc. are closed here on Fridays or only opened 1/2 days.

One idea my hubby had was to (when redoing contract/handbook) is to just take one day off a month and not really take a vacation time. That way I would know each month what day I'm having off and could make all my appts.
I think that is a good idea but I would get no real vacation time. Yes, I would take a 3 day weekend every month but I would get no real time off with my kids-Christmas break, sprink break, etc.

What do you guys think? I have absolutely no one that can sub for me-that is why I'm in this perdicament.
Can your husband take 1/2 day off so you can get an appt or two in or is that not possible? My husband does that for me or I schedule all my appts for at or after 4:00 (he is home by 3:45) & all parents know he is and will serve as a back-up very rarely.
Heidi 03:05 PM 02-21-2012
How about taking only two full weeks vacation a year, and splitting up the other week for appointments?

I don't even get a full week's paid vacation, just holidays and when kids are gone, because that is the market here. I would be glad to get what you have!

Not trying to make you feel bad, just giving you another perspective...
daycare 03:10 PM 02-21-2012
I have written that I can take up to 14 days off per calendar year unpaid. I will also take 3 paid personal days so that I can attend Doc appts.

If I am not well then I can't run the daycare and if that means I close due to illness then you will have to find alternate care for your child. As much as I wish I was inferior to illness, cavities and diseases, I am not. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
cheerfuldom 03:22 PM 02-21-2012
Have you considered hiring an assistant? If you can't afford to have someone there on a regular basis, is there anyone you know that can plan to watch the kids for a half day a month? Yes there would be some cost but at a certain point, you have to invest in some help or have some option to get things like appointments done. If you pay $8 and hour....it would be maybe $40 a month for some help
Country Kids 03:39 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
How about taking only two full weeks vacation a year, and splitting up the other week for appointments?

I don't even get a full week's paid vacation, just holidays and when kids are gone, because that is the market here. I would be glad to get what you have!

Not trying to make you feel bad, just giving you another perspective...
None of my time off is paid by my parents! The only thing I get paid for is when the kids miss time. Like I said it took me 17 years to get to this point.
Country Kids 03:58 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Can your husband take 1/2 day off so you can get an appt or two in or is that not possible? My husband does that for me or I schedule all my appts for at or after 4:00 (he is home by 3:45) & all parents know he is and will serve as a back-up very rarely.
He already is already responsible for taking all the time off for any of the kids Dr. appts and their ortho appts. that are every 6 weeks. There would be no way I could take them to any of their appts. on top of mine. My hubby works 8-5 so he has to use personal time for their appts. but he is totally fine doing that.
cheerfuldom 07:34 PM 02-21-2012
Why do you not give yourself some paid time off? I don't know how you have survived 17 years in daycare without it. No wonder you are so stressed. Sounds like it is time for a huge daycare overall, starting with your contract and paid time off.
DaycareMama 07:58 PM 02-21-2012
What about stretching your new wanted days off to every other month? I think a day mid week would be better. I know a lot of employers here frown upon missing mondays and fridays. Also keeping what you already have. You deserve it!

OR for the really hard to please parents what about a half day off? Close at noon and make appointments after lunch

I know your stress all to well and am having a very hard time dealing with it myself so I send you big hugs
Country Kids 09:14 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Why do you not give yourself some paid time off? I don't know how you have survived 17 years in daycare without it. No wonder you are so stressed. Sounds like it is time for a huge daycare overall, starting with your contract and paid time off.
Actually no one in my area does the paid days off. When I joined the forum it was one of the first places I heard of people taking time off and being paid for it! Well in the childcare business. Years ago one gal I know did try and charge her teacher parents for time off and she lost her cliental from what I remember.

Charging for time off just isn't taken well here or wouldn't be excepted.
Meyou 04:35 AM 02-22-2012
I'm not much help on the daytime appointments because I struggle with the same thing but I do find if I keep on top of booking things well in advance I can get early evening appointments quite easily now. It's often 4-5 weeks later that I get an appointment but for things like eye exams, checkups and dentist appointments it works for me. For everything else I'm lucky enough to have a retired mama so she is great to take my kids to daytime appointments when I need her to. I send everything she needs along with a list of symptoms etc and it always works out well. She had one of my dd's in emergency with a concussion a few weeks ago with one of my lists. They didn't even need to call me other than with updates.
Solandia 04:48 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

BTDT, seriously...taking one day off per month doesn't work. I only do part time schedules...and usually have one day off/week...STILL doesn't make the appointment scheduling easy peasy. Easier...marginally. Keep your week/two weeks family vacation....your kids would appreciate that MUCH more than a day off here and there for errands. Yuck. LOL

My issue is more that I have 4 kids, one in public school, 2 kids with braces, chiropractor every 6wks..I will not take my oldest out of school for appts. Education always comes first, and it has to be pretty significant to skip school. So that narrows it down to closed school days & early evening appts, both are always jam packed with everyone doing the same thing.

What I do is schedule appts, and then if we have an unexpected day closed, or a day when the dck's go home early...We try to reschedule last minute. Half the time is works. Our dentist, chiro, an ortho do this ALL the time for us...we <3 them. The chiro will often just squeeze us in, even if there arent any open appts....but we have been going there for 10 years, they love us, too. LOL. The doctor/pedi is a bit harder...but for sick visits we usually go to the urgent/walk in care anyway. The regular visits are only once/yr....we do those in the summer when no one is in school.

I do not have anyone to sub for me either....I wouldn't make any money for the week if I took off even a half day. What a waste of my working time!
countrymom 06:48 AM 02-22-2012
I had problems too. So I started to find offices that are open longer. Just because you have been with someone for so long, your needs have changed, there's nothing wrong with going else where.

also, can you hire an assistant to come and help out.

also, I book in advance, and get the latest appointments available. On those days the parents have to pick up early, its usually about a half hour early.
laundrymom 07:00 AM 02-22-2012
I would close early one day every three months and schedule appts on those days.
MrsB 07:05 AM 02-22-2012
Besides changing your personal days like everyone has suggested. Have you checked with other doctors/dentists in the area. We found some in our area who have later evening appointments or an occasional weekend available. Yes you have to schedule several months in advance, but we do.

Like my 3 kids dental checkups we schedule a year in advance so we can get the 3rd Thursday a month where the dentist is open until 7pm. Or like my daughters orthodontist is open at 630am one a week. I always book that appointment. We get home about 7:30am. Most of my parents come at that time anyway but for the ones that come earlier, they really dont mind going in a half our or hour late. They would rather do that then have to ask to get off early.

I am so sorry you are feeling maxed out, I definately have been there. More stress will only lead to more sickness. Luckily for me I have been super healthy (knock on wood). I have gotten the occasional cold, but nothing where I have had to close except for 1 day in the last 4 years. So I can use my personal days for appointments and such.
Tags:stress
Reply Up