Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Initial Daycare Inspection... Any Advice?
GretasLittleFriends 10:23 AM 03-03-2009
Hi! I've been working with my local county to get my daycare license. It seems like it has taken forever!! Actually it has, I paid my fees last August, and they're finally coming out Thursday for the home inspection. From the sounds of it, this is basically the last leg of the licensure process. Once the home passes, my status goes to pending then the county finalizes the paperwork and I'm licensed.

I am at the point where I just want to make sure my "i's are dotted and t's are crossed". It's a home safety inspection, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Here's what I've done/checked:
-Crib and playpen meet standards and have no recalls on them
-Outlets are covered
-Cabinets are locked (and I have a hard time operating these cable lock things!)
-Medicines are on top shelf and locked
-Guns and ammo locked
-Stairs gated
-Emergency exits documented
-Fire extinguisher in kitchen
-Smoke detectors operating
-Electrical cords unreachable
-Scissors and knives unreachable

I've crawled around on the floor looking for anything that might be an issue and can't find anything. I didn't get a definitive checklist from the county, though I'm sure she'll bring one with her. I just want this to be the last step. I don't want her to have to come out again, she's very nice, and of course I want my house to be safe for children, I just would like to get it all in one shot.

Thanks for any advice you can give!!!
tymaboy 06:04 AM 03-04-2009
At my inspection they go over everything.

Child proof locks on cupboards that are in childs reach
smoke alarms needed to be within a certain area of the stairs (both upstair & downstair)
smoke alarms need to be in every room that the child will be in
extinguisher had to be a certain size ( just cuz it says it for the kitchen does not mean that they will accept it)
They looked at the yard to make sure it is kid friendly
Make sure your signs document where to meet out side the home incase you get suppurated
No medicine or anything out on counters
They document everything even if you say you are thinking of adding/changing something in the house they will mention it in their report & even bring it up at next inspection.
Unregistered 07:25 AM 03-04-2009
A few more things mine look at
a first aid kit
age appropriate toys
multi cultural books/toys and or posters
a policy and procedures book/contract that covers everything
sign in/out book
yard is clean and safe
where and what the children sleep on
diaper changing area
Bridget
GretasLittleFriends 08:20 AM 03-06-2009
Thank you for your advice!!

The licensor came by yesterday. She inspected pretty much everything. Water temp, fridge temp, smoke detectors, fire extinguisher, emergency exit plan, storm plan, furnace, toys, sleeping arrangements, diapering plan/area, cupboard locks, firearms, my contract policy, the yard and out buildings (we live on 20 acres) outlet covers, electrical cords, baby furniture, first aid kit, medicines, room sizes (not including adult furniture - bookshelves, entertainment centers, appliances...) of the rooms that I will be using for daycareand other things I'm likely forgetting.

I had to make one quick change to my contract to include a chemical dependency part (that me or nobody that works for me will be under the influence of anything that affects the ability to care for children). I also had to lower the fridge temp. It was over by 2 degrees. Those two spot corrections were no big deal and everything else passed.

My status is now pending and she told me that I can start advertising and taking in more children. I was allowed one family, which I already had, without my license. I'm soooo excited!!!
Unregistered 03:09 PM 03-06-2009
Good for you! Sounds like it went really well. I hope your licensor can be a good resource for you. I've had some that were kind of unapproachable, and one I just loved who was really helpful and full of good suggestions. I have a new one now, and have no idea what to expect, but he's coming in May.

Bridget
Ms.Sue 04:56 PM 03-12-2009
You can call your inspector and request the actual 'requirements' that he/she will be looking for. They have to give it to you. Do that - then you will be 100% ready == good luck!
Tags:home inspection
Reply Up