Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes Policy.......DCM Didn't Liked
josie2014 10:50 AM 04-28-2014
I started to stop using shoes in my house after my baby born,sometimes we come in and take off.When I meet the dcm they all saw our shoes in the front door.I am freak clean I know...my floors is hardwood floors.At the beginning I told then I don't like to come in with shoes because the kids is crawling.This special mom she's coming with dirty boots I just watching....Today I told the parents to stop coming inside,one mom says I totally agree with you but the other one didn't liked I saw in her face...She said I will try...
I let kids play outside they get dirty sometimes I don't mind...I sweep my floor every day........
daycarediva 10:53 AM 04-28-2014
I have a longer commercial grade carpet in my entry. No shoes beyond that point. It's even in my parent handbook.

I would tell the dcm that you're trying to keep it clean with (#) of little ones PLUS # of parents that come in/out daily.

For me, that would be 8 kids + 8 parents x 2 (drop off and pick up)= 32x cleaning up dirt from peoples shoes.

Ain't nobody got time for dat!
Shell 10:59 AM 04-28-2014
Too bad , dcm . Your house ,your rules! I also have a carpet in entry way and no shoes past that point. I tell parents shoes can trek in choking hazards and can be unsanitary. I love it when a parent comes on a tour and automatically takes their shoes off at the door without being asked! Besides , it 's customary in many cultures to take off shoes. Dcm needs to deal!
KiddieCahoots 11:01 AM 04-28-2014
I have the commercial rug at my front door too! Those things work great!
I have a sign posted on my front door requesting ALL guests to take off their shoes at the entry rug.
And in my hb have worded it to say..... to keep unknown contaminants on the bottom of people's shoes from where we play on the floor.
My mom's that were nurses whole heartedly agreed with this.
Maria2013 11:05 AM 04-28-2014
There's always gonna be something parents don't like, but hey, they need to respect your home and your rules.
Play Care 11:06 AM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have a longer commercial grade carpet in my entry. No shoes beyond that point. It's even in my parent handbook.

I would tell the dcm that you're trying to keep it clean with (#) of little ones PLUS # of parents that come in/out daily.

For me, that would be 8 kids + 8 parents x 2 (drop off and pick up)= 32x cleaning up dirt from peoples shoes.

Ain't nobody got time for dat!
Where did you get yours? I have a really hard time finding a good quality non skid rug for my entry way.

OP, I would stick to your guns. All my parents stay in my foyer and pick up from there so they don't drag dirt, mud and heaven knows what else in!
KiddieCahoots 11:21 AM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Where did you get yours?
Sam's club has some 3'x5' water hog carpets that are only $25. (the cheapest I've found it)
Lowe's has that at a higher price, larger sizes and more of a selection.
daycarediva 11:24 AM 04-28-2014
Lowes. I had it custom cut to my entry way. It was around $75, 2 years ago. My only "issue" is the corners roll up
jenn 11:32 AM 04-28-2014
I don't think that I could legally tell the parents they are not allowed to enter my home. I do have a rule that they have to stay in the entry way, which is just an area of thick peel and stick tiles. I mop the tiles as needed, and can replace them easily and cheaply as needed.
jenboo 11:56 AM 04-28-2014
I would suggest putting a chair/ bench and a basket of shoe covers outside your front door. I can see why a parent would be upset that they couldnt come in your home when dropping their child off.

These shoe covers are great and they can be reused. we used them when i worked at a center in the infant room.
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Skid-Safe...ds=shoe+covers
Second Home 12:13 PM 04-28-2014
All kids must remove their shoes no exceptions is my rule after i had a sa kid track cow poop all over my house .
Parents usually stay in the foyer on the rug so i do not have have many issues with them.
josie2014 02:51 PM 04-28-2014
Thank you for your replays,I was thinking I was mean with the parents...I am too good sometimes they take advantage...when I texted the mom she's said I hope you had nice weekend of course I had...but I have rules...
Unregistered 08:18 AM 04-29-2014
I second the shoe covers. You know they are clean. Not everyone has clean socks or feet.
KiddieCahoots 09:08 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I second the shoe covers. You know they are clean. Not everyone has clean socks or feet.
totally agree!

I'm a clean freak!

Trust me....most dcp's are embarrassed when you change their child's socks to a spare back up, because of how dirty the socks they wore to child care are on the bottom. I've never had a parent willing to admit they have a dirty house

And I don't care how mean I sound with having kids wear socks while in my care. I have seen some nasty foot fungus on children....hand-foot-mouth, peeling skin, fungus of the nails, impacted dirt under the nails, and stinky feet. No thank you, socks are a must! And if they are not adequate , I'm ok with changing them to the back up socks. It's all in my hb.

Oh! And prior to my "no shoes rule", also had a child step in dog poop before entering the child care. I will never forget having dh run to the store to rent a rug dr, him having to keep all the children entertained in the kitchen, while I carpet cleaned the entry room. Not fun!
deliberateliterate 10:10 AM 04-29-2014
Wow. I couldn't imagine walking in to someone's house and not taking off my shoes. Especially when I knew there were kids and crawlers around. I know it's a regional thing, but how disrespectful! You didn't do anything wrong, stick to your guns!
melilley 10:18 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would suggest putting a chair/ bench and a basket of shoe covers outside your front door. I can see why a parent would be upset that they couldnt come in your home when dropping their child off.

These shoe covers are great and they can be reused. we used them when i worked at a center in the infant room.
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Skid-Safe...ds=shoe+covers

The shoe covers are a great idea! When I worked in a center in the infant room, I had to wear the shoe covers. All the parents either wore the covers or took their shoes off.

Here all parents take their shoes off. Most don't come past my rug though.
melilley 10:20 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:
Wow. I couldn't imagine walking in to someone's house and not taking off my shoes. Especially when I knew there were kids and crawlers around. I know it's a regional thing, but how disrespectful! You didn't do anything wrong, stick to your guns!
Me too! I feel weird if I don't take my shoes off at other people's houses!
Play Care 11:33 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:

Where we are everyone takes shoes off to come in. Now, I have brought indoor shoes or slippers to other peoples homes if I didn't want to be I stocking feet, but as they are carried in they are clean.
josie2014 10:26 AM 04-30-2014
You guys are so nice and sweet,I'm been learning so much in this forum...
Starburst 09:13 PM 04-30-2014
It always used to bug me when my ex used to walk all the way up stair still wearing his shoes and would sometimes sit on my bed and watch TV wearing his shoes (cringe ). I couldn't care less about the carpets it was just a mental thing.

It's one thing if you're only going to be there for a few minutes but if you're going to be there longer than 20 minutes it kind of aggravates my anxiety because it's little things like that which makes me think that they plan on leaving soon. One of my instructors used to leave her purse on all during class and it would make me think that class was ending early or something; and it used to bug me when my ex-roommates would come in my room to hang out but just stand for like 10 minutes instead of sitting (though my mom points out that I've apparently picked up that habit). The only house I try to wear shoes at all time is in my aunts house because it is filthy and you NEED shoes to walk in there.

I would probably just add it to your policy handbook (if you haven't already), its your house and your rules. Wouldn't she think it was rude if you went to her house and broke one of her house rules?

You can also maybe have a welcome mat or a marked off area in the entry way that is the "transition zone", if you want to go any further you have to take off your shoes

Maybe you can have an official sign outside that says something about taking off shoes inside (the family I babysit has one on their porch), that way she has no excuse for "forgetting". Below are some cute/funny signs.
Attached: 612.jpg (33.2 KB) 613-550x412.jpg (80.1 KB) 614.jpg (36.5 KB) 616.jpg (30.9 KB) mp9sPgL7jZLAEQ0C44s5VCg.jpg (9.9 KB) mV7_ibZ_wKTOT7oq5npKL0A.jpg (13.9 KB) 
Meeko 05:34 AM 05-01-2014
Parents make me shake my head when they "don't like" a rule.

The woman has no more say in your shoe rule than she does in deciding what color undies you will wear that day.
Magic 07:09 AM 05-01-2014
man this is a big one for me
I have a sign on my door both sides, at eye level that says
" Please take shoes off
children lie on these floors "

and I swear no one can read, not clients and not friends ....
it is a pleasent colourfull sign that is about to change to a black and white very bold sign
josie2014 04:33 AM 05-08-2014
Girls do you belive this mom just forgot and still coming with shoes inside...that's making me upset
josie2014 04:36 AM 05-08-2014
I will try the mat and the sign...Sometimes is so hard working with those parents. ......Maybe she's will clean her shoes in my mat....lol
deliberateliterate 05:01 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by josie2014:
Girls do you belive this mom just forgot and still coming with shoes inside...that's making me upset
She didn't forget, she is choosing to ignore you and that is beyond rude.

I don't know what your setup is like, but when she comes, can you just take her child right away and say "I'll take it from here, so you don't have to take your shows off". Same thing at pick up. Just keep standing your ground and don't feel badly about it.
josie2014 10:09 AM 05-08-2014
I got so mad I just left my swiffer at front door...I just got from etsy PLEASE REMOVE YOUR SHOES LITTLE FINGERS TOUCH THIS FLOOR...
I ALMOST BOUGHT SOMETIMES ELSE BRIGHT RED COLOR...
Unregistered 06:25 AM 09-09-2014
My husband and I just switched daycare for our 10 month old. The previous had a no-shoe policy and the new one does not. It's such a glaring issue for us, that we're considering going back to the old. Over shoes, it's true! But I don't understand shoes in a room full of babies that constantly have their hands on the floor and love to put things in their mouths. All I can picture is people walking through chemically treated lawns, dog poop, oily/greasy garages and parking lots, you name it...I think a no shoe policy is a no-brainer. I'm actually shocked to know some places don't require it in an infant room.
Play Care 06:33 AM 09-09-2014
My husband and I just switched daycare for our 10 month old. The previous had a no-shoe policy and the new one does not. It's such a glaring issue for us, that we're considering going back to the old. Over shoes, it's true! But I don't understand shoes in a room full of babies that constantly have their hands on the floor and love to put things in their mouths. All I can picture is people walking through chemically treated lawns, dog poop, oily/greasy garages and parking lots, you name it...I think a no shoe policy is a no-brainer. I'm actually shocked to know some places don't require it in an infant room.
THANK YOU!!! It's so nice to have a parent "get" it. Most providers do not make these rules to be "mean" I think of all the things I've had on my shoes and I know I wouldn't want my kids picking it up from the floor...
Lucy 09:10 AM 09-09-2014
Just brainstorming.... could you maybe get some of those disposable booties (Costco? Cash & Carry on the west coast?), and have them in a basket by the front door? That way if you have someone who either doesn't want to take their shoes off, or someone who's shoes take more effort to put back on, they could just grab a pair of booties and slip them on. A brief search found 150 pair for $25.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Just brainstorming.... could you maybe get some of those disposable booties (Costco? Cash & Carry on the west coast?), and have them in a basket by the front door? That way if you have someone who either doesn't want to take their shoes off, or someone who's shoes take more effort to put back on, they could just grab a pair of booties and slip them on. A brief search found 150 pair for $25.
Just in case you are replying to the OP....this thread is from April and I don't think the OP is active here anymore.
Lucy 08:15 PM 09-09-2014
Dang it! They got me!! I almost always check the original date, but didn't on this one for some reason.

Do you notice, however, that many times when an old thread is resurrected, it's by "Unregistered"? Why do you suppose that is??
SignMeUp 08:30 PM 09-09-2014
Dang it! They got me!! I almost always check the original date, but didn't on this one for some reason.

Do you notice, however, that many times when an old thread is resurrected, it's by "Unregistered"? Why do you suppose that is??
They just start reading and lose track of dates (Maybe I did that once too )
Cat Herder 04:47 AM 09-10-2014
My husband and I just switched daycare for our 10 month old. The previous had a no-shoe policy and the new one does not. It's such a glaring issue for us, that we're considering going back to the old.
I am curious. Why did you leave your previous provider?
Blackcat31 05:31 AM 09-10-2014

I usually answer too then, have a moment of deja vu and realize, I already answered...

I notice too that it's usually "unregistered" that revives an older thread and my guess is they were more than likely Googling something and this site popped up at the top of the results list.

Michael has said more than once that he works hard to make sure that daycare.com appears on the front of any searches etc that people conduct. I also think that is why adding tags to the threads helps too.

So, no idea if that is correct or not but that's what I think happens and why it's usually "unregistered" that brings to life an older thread.
daycaremum 07:44 AM 09-10-2014
Just for clarification, are you not even letting the mom step foot in the door into the entry way?? If so that's over the top, you should have a mat at the front door that parents can stand on while dropping their child off.
I certainly agree with the no shoes in the house rule, I too have this rule. But no shoes into the entry way???
Please clarify..
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
Just for clarification, are you not even letting the mom step foot in the door into the entry way?? If so that's over the top, you should have a mat at the front door that parents can stand on while dropping their child off.
I certainly agree with the no shoes in the house rule, I too have this rule. But no shoes into the entry way???
Please clarify..
OLD thread....

I don't think OP is going to clarify.
daycaremum 09:58 AM 09-10-2014
Oh shoot!! Got caught by an old thread
Blackcat31 10:01 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
Oh shoot!! Got caught by an old thread
It's okay...it happens to all of us.

Maybe we should start a support group?
Lucy 06:25 PM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's okay...it happens to all of us.

Maybe we should start a support group?

I think your theory made perfect sense.
josie2014 11:08 AM 10-07-2014
Sorry,this post is little old...lol
But this mom for the first day I hang out the cute frame at my front door,she took her shoes off but only for couple day's...one day she was walking around I didn't said anything just looked.Next morning I asked nicely please can you live your shoes at door...also I bought nice big tray for shoes just put it in my front door. ...lol
After this I didn't had more problems with her...
She's was really nice...but wasn't easy about the shoes policy at my house....
Tags:shoe policy
Reply Up