Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Laxatives? I'm Seriously Irritated
DaisyMamma 03:14 PM 08-05-2014
Kid won't poop in the toilet and holds it.
He's been "potty trained" for 6 months. Ongoing problem.
Now DCPs are giving him laxatives and he has crapped his pants 4 times today. I'm totally irritated
I made it clear that this should be done at home. NMP! So don't make it my problem! Stop putting a damn diaper on the kid whenever he is at home. He is not a baby.
DaisyMamma 03:16 PM 08-05-2014
Oh and they didn't tell me.

And its causing problems for things we do at daycare. Everyone has to leave somewhere fun because he pooped in his pants.
hope 03:31 PM 08-05-2014
Wow! First off, they should have tried a little extra fruit instead of a laxative. That's outrageous. If the child is just holding it in then laxatives are uncalled for.
AND they should have done that on their own time. Did they tell you they gave their child a laxative? I would have sent home asap.
DaisyMamma 04:19 PM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Wow! First off, they should have tried a little extra fruit instead of a laxative. That's outrageous. If the child is just holding it in then laxatives are uncalled for.
AND they should have done that on their own time. Did they tell you they gave their child a laxative? I would have sent home asap.
No they did not tell me.
I made it clear that its for home time. Response was that it was because we gave it last night at dinner
It would've been fine had they told me. I would have A. Not let the child go in my car. B. Not brought him to the movies and C. Not brought him swimming

He did it again when they arrived to pickup and so they left 10 minutes later then pickup time, which happens to be my last pickup, of course.
I did not wait. I left and left them doing cleanup duty on my front lawn

They leave in two weeks and I can't wait.
Kabob 04:51 PM 08-05-2014
I would've called for pickup and told them that since he had diarrhea at daycare, he needs to stay home 48 hours as per my policy.

Maybe also have him in a diaper/pull up until he's "accident free" as per my policy too. No diapers? No daycare.

If they don't want to put in an effort to make his last days at daycare smooth, then why should you have to deal with that mess? That's just lazy on their part.

Sorry, but that's just a sore spot with me now...
MotherNature 05:25 PM 08-05-2014
I'd have termed right then and there. Giving him medication and not telling you? That's what they did. Especially awful since you were out in public dealing with it too.
TwinKristi 01:23 AM 08-06-2014
I termed for something like this. DCG was having potty issues, dr said she had some constipation despite having diarrhea for weeks! Mom tried laxatives one weekend and found out she did it wrong. DCG came with her milk as usual, after awhile saying she had a tummy ache. Pooped 3 times before lunch and 4 times during lunch having some messes in her pants! Never happened in previous weeks! WTH? I tell mom she's pooping way too much today and I'm worried something is wrong. She says she put laxatives in her milk! I almost fainted. I had her come right then, packed up her stuff, wrote her a refund for one week she prepaid and termed immediately for putting medication in DCGs milks without my knowledge and problems caused because of it. Ugh I was so mad!! She tried to blame me, said she told me, etc. No way no how! I talked to all my families about this policy, I revamped my contract to cover this and to cover me from losing money for violating our contract.

What does your contract say about OTC meds?
daycarediva 03:44 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I'd have termed right then and there. Giving him medication and not telling you? That's what they did. Especially awful since you were out in public dealing with it too.
This is my policy. No dope and drops, no matter the med for me.

They wouldn't have two weeks left with me.

I have a frequent pooper, older, not potty trained, and it does affect what you're doing. He can't even attend field trips and I made it clear to Mom I plan them around his attendance.
DaisyMamma 04:22 AM 08-06-2014
I don't even know what my contract says about otc. Its never been a problem. I know I put something in. I'm going to look later.
SunshineMama 04:35 AM 08-06-2014
I have a child whose mother gives laxatives regularly as well. Coincidentally, it is the same child I posted about who is still having separation anxiety issues after 3 years. She has also gone in her pants when given laxatives. I dont know whats wrong with some people- how is it okay in your mind to give a child a laxative, then ship them off for someone else to deal with?!?
AmyKidsCo 06:59 AM 08-06-2014
I don't get parents who try to control their kids down to when they poop. It's one thing if they truly are constipated, but another when they're just not going as often as Mom thinks they should.
Solandia 07:06 AM 08-06-2014
If the child was having poop issues, you should have called for him to be picked up.

To me, it sounds like the parents were trying to get it taken care of so it didn't affect daycare, but it failed, and thought it wouldn't start working 12 +hours later. If you think they did it on purpose, just to ruin your day, then term immediately.

On another note...if the child has been doing the withholding poop dance for 6months, it is no longer a just a potty training issue. It is complicated & frustrating for everyone involved.
craftymissbeth 07:21 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Solandia:
If the child was having poop issues, you should have called for him to be picked up.

To me, it sounds like the parents were trying to get it taken care of so it didn't affect daycare, but it failed, and thought it wouldn't start working 12 +hours later. If you think they did it on purpose, just to ruin your day, then term immediately.

On another note...if the child has been doing the withholding poop dance for 6months, it is no longer a just a potty training issue. It is complicated & frustrating for everyone involved.

My son has encopresis and you do NOT want it to get to that point. Once it gets to becoming encopresis... there's no holding it in. That poop'll make an appearance whenever it feels like it and the child isn't likely to even feel it at that point. We're about to hit the 4 year mark of dealing with this crap (pun intended) and there's no end in sight. My son is now 8 and hides his underwear (why are underwear so expensive? we go through SO many!), has soiled himself at school, etc.

I think knowing that he's held it in for 6 months is a good reason to begin giving laxatives. When I first started giving my son Miralax, I had no idea the time frame it would take to work.. in fact, it can still sometimes produce funky results. We've been instructed by his doctor to overload him on Miralax on weekends to try to "clean him out" while he's not in school, but it honestly sometimes causes issues on Mondays. He missed a LOT of school last year and it was almost always on Mondays.

Anyway, it stinks that they lied.. they should have been up front, but they probably figured at that point that it wasn't working.
Shell 07:41 AM 08-06-2014
I posted about this same issue maybe a year ago? It was so disgusting, and I was furious at dcm for not telling me, and waiting for me to call her about it. She's a nurse, too, so she knew darn well what she was doing. She seemed genuinely embarrassed and hasn't done it since. Poop is the one thing I cannot deal with, and if she did it again, I would call for pick up ASAP
Reply Up