Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Driving me batty...
NightOwl 07:38 AM 05-09-2014
Dcb 22 months, been here about 6 weeks, 2 days per week. Super sweet, even tempered, had never cried at drop off, not even the first day. AND HE WILL NOT LEAVE MY SIDE! He stands next to me when I'm sitting, he follows me to the kitchen, he stands right outside the door when I go to the bathroom, Lord help me. Lol. He's constantly at my side, no matter what I'm doing. Even on the playground, he's right there beside me. The water tables lured him away for a couple of minutes, but then he was right back.
The other quirky thing he does is hoard toys. He will take toys from other kids and put them where the child can't get them, such as over the baby gate or on the couch. These are not toys he was playing with or favorite toys, either. He sees a child pick it up and he immediately takes it from them and stashes it somewhere. I'm like, wth?? Come to think of it, he doesn't play with the toys very much at all, just hoards them.
I constantly encourage him to play with the toys and interact with the other dcks,but it's just not happening. You'd think after 6 weeks, even part time, that he'd be settled in by now and feel more confident.
I'm thinking he's trying to stake his claim? And he can't hoard ME, so he just stays with me constantly?
Shell 10:33 AM 05-09-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Dcb 22 months, been here about 6 weeks, 2 days per week. Super sweet, even tempered, had never cried at drop off, not even the first day. AND HE WILL NOT LEAVE MY SIDE! He stands next to me when I'm sitting, he follows me to the kitchen, he stands right outside the door when I go to the bathroom, Lord help me. Lol. He's constantly at my side, no matter what I'm doing. Even on the playground, he's right there beside me. The water tables lured him away for a couple of minutes, but then he was right back.
The other quirky thing he does is hoard toys. He will take toys from other kids and put them where the child can't get them, such as over the baby gate or on the couch. These are not toys he was playing with or favorite toys, either. He sees a child pick it up and he immediately takes it from them and stashes it somewhere. I'm like, wth?? Come to think of it, he doesn't play with the toys very much at all, just hoards them.
I constantly encourage him to play with the toys and interact with the other dcks,but it's just not happening. You'd think after 6 weeks, even part time, that he'd be settled in by now and feel more confident.
I'm thinking he's trying to stake his claim? And he can't hoard ME, so he just stays with me constantly?

Sounds annoying, but also really cute!
NightOwl 11:11 AM 05-09-2014
Lolol. You're not helping, mrsmichelle!
ihop 11:14 AM 05-09-2014
I have a child just like this about the same age. I've had him three months and it very slowly is getting better. I put a super yard up to divide the playroom from the rest of the open living area and that helps a lot. He hangs at the gate trying to talk to me but I tell him nice to go play toys and then I ignore him unless its important.

When I go to the bathroom I tell him that I need privacy and to stay in the playroom, then after im in the bathroom a second I open the door and send him back to the playroom and after a few weeks he started staying in their when I go to the bathroom.
He is also bad about toys so sometimes I give everyone a small pile and tell everyone its their turn with those toys and that they need to stay with their pile. If he chooses to hide his then he cant go get more. The other kids actually like this because for about thirty minutes they don't have to share.

My dcb very rarely sees his mother and calls me mommy all the time so I know he just really wants some female attention so I do make time during the day to spend some time one on one with him but of course its not possible for everyone. Its Time consuming since I also have to do it with five others afterward.

My best advice is Patience and physical barriers. Unless he is physically unable to follow you, he probably isn't going to catch on quickly,

Best of luck
Eta. Don't feel too bad, mine drives me batty too. What's that? What are you doing? Is that yours? Who is that? Are you a girl? Where are you going? Can I have that? Is it my turn? Lunch time? Hold me? It wears on you when its nonstop and they are physically touching you all the time.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 05-09-2014
I use the hula-hoop method for me too.

I have an unusually big personal space bubble so someone needing to be that attached to me would be annoying and a bit unsettling for me.

As for the toy hoarding... Ugh, BIG pet peeve of mine.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 05-09-2014
More on toy hoarding

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...light=hoarders
NightOwl 01:15 PM 05-09-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I have a child just like this about the same age. I've had him three months and it very slowly is getting better. I put a super yard up to divide the playroom from the rest of the open living area and that helps a lot. He hangs at the gate trying to talk to me but I tell him nice to go play toys and then I ignore him unless its important.

When I go to the bathroom I tell him that I need privacy and to stay in the playroom, then after im in the bathroom a second I open the door and send him back to the playroom and after a few weeks he started staying in their when I go to the bathroom.
He is also bad about toys so sometimes I give everyone a small pile and tell everyone its their turn with those toys and that they need to stay with their pile. If he chooses to hide his then he cant go get more. The other kids actually like this because for about thirty minutes they don't have to share.

My dcb very rarely sees his mother and calls me mommy all the time so I know he just really wants some female attention so I do make time during the day to spend some time one on one with him but of course its not possible for everyone. Its Time consuming since I also have to do it with five others afterward.

My best advice is Patience and physical barriers. Unless he is physically unable to follow you, he probably isn't going to catch on quickly,

Best of luck
Eta. Don't feel too bad, mine drives me batty too. What's that? What are you doing? Is that yours? Who is that? Are you a girl? Where are you going? Can I have that? Is it my turn? Lunch time? Hold me? It wears on you when its nonstop and they are physically touching you all the time.
We have the same kids! I didn't mention that he stands at the gate when I'm on the other side saying "Mommy! Mommy!".
NightOwl 01:20 PM 05-09-2014
Oh thank you! That's an excellent idea from nannyde!
LadyK8 01:20 PM 05-09-2014
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing so hard, because he sounds so cute! lol

That last part sounds about right. Does his mom work alot? He may have some issues with that.
NightOwl 03:29 PM 05-09-2014
He's friggin adorable! And you're not helping either! Lololol. He's here from 715 until about 530, stays with grandma the other 3 days, and they live about 45 minutes away. So yes, his days are kind of long including that drive time.
Tags:attachment, clingy, hoarding, toy hoarding
Reply Up