Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really Need advice from Daycare Owners...Please!!
Love2Teach 03:37 AM 09-10-2010
Hello All,

I am a certified teacher having a very difficult time finding a full-time job--I know I am very good at what I do that's not the problem but I live in an area that's very saturated with teachers.

Anyways, I am thinking of ditching the dream of teaching in a public school and starting my own business. I would essentially be traveling around and teaching computer classes to preschoolers. I would buy the license for the NAEYC accredited computer program that would be loaded on the laptops that I bring to the center (I provide all materials, etc... I would just need a little space to set it up). The classes would be relatively small, no more than 5 children at a time. The classes can be 30 min. to one hour long depending on age group. The classes run once per week for 8 weeks. It teaches basic computer skills and has a nice educational component to it.
The parent would sign the child up and pay for the classes. The cost would be between 10.00-15.00 per class or a total of about 80.00 for the 8 week session.

To me it's really is a win-win situation for me and the daycare that offers the classes. The daycare itself would not make any money off of it directly but will probably grow in numbers because you offer something that the daycare down the street doesn't. Plus free advertising on my company website and fliers that I send out into the community.

Do you think this is something that could really take off? I really would love to have your input about this. Do you see any potential problems with this idea?

Thank you so much for your help!!
Michael 11:56 AM 09-10-2010
The world will become more virtual as technology advances and people find themselves at home more. Good idea IMHO.
Unregistered 12:18 PM 09-10-2010
I think it's a very good idea. I work in a daycare as an aide and am the only one that is not either a teacher or still going to school to become a teacher. In my state (NJ), teachers are applying for all the aide jobs or daycare teaching positions because they can't find a teaching position in the school system. Many were laid off. If you can find another outlet to utilize your skills(at least for now), who knows, it just might end up being you're life's calling. Good Luck!
missnikki 01:59 PM 09-10-2010
Sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm sure that would be nice for the kids, a value to the parents, and a nice little bit of P&Q for the provider.
Would you allow your fee to be built in to a program's tuition (I'm thinking subcontracting may be a tax writeoff? not sure- Tom?) or would it need to be strictly between you and the parents?
Tags:computer class
Reply Up