Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fear of Bugs
daycarediva 11:23 AM 11-06-2015
I have never had a child develop a fear to this extreme before.

It's beautiful here, and the entire time we have been outside ALL WEEK LONG she has screamed if she even THINKS she sees a bug flying. There are leaves falling- they MUST be bugs too because that induces screaming.

She's 3. Quite verbal. I have tried touching the bugs I can catch to show her that there isn't anything to be afraid of. I have tried reading about them in books (fiction and non fiction).

Today is the worst though- there IS a fly in my house. She saw it at lunch and started the freak out. We are 2 hours into rest and she is STILL SCREAMING on/off over the fly- even though I haven't been able to find it for well over an hour. I tried killing it, everyone else is awake thanks to her. It's going to be a LONG cranky afternoon.

Just a few weeks ago she was happily catching ladybugs and grasshoppers. Mom says nothing happened at home, but the fear is there as well.

Any ideas on how to help? It's DESTROYING our outside time- where we spend a great deal of time.
laundrymom 12:10 PM 11-06-2015
Stop responding?
If she's getting attention for freaking out she will
Only increase intensity.

Don't give a barking dog a cookie.
"Yes. Doreen, it's a fly. They do not bite. They just annoy us. Go play"
Leigh 12:15 PM 11-06-2015
I had this problem with my son. I explained to him the jobs that bugs have that help us. I told him that flies help get rid of our garbage and eat poop (I know-gross), but dog poop in the yard grosses him out. I told him that spiders eat mosquitoes, etc. It stopped the fear. Worth a try.
spedmommy4 09:14 PM 11-06-2015
I am going through this with one of my kids too. He is absolutely terrified of bugs. I have never seen anything like it.

I tried ignoring, reassuring, etc. Nothing worked. I was ready to term this kid. Out of desperation I handed him a super hero cape and a fly swatter. I told him the cape had powers and would make him brave, and that he was in charge of getting rid of all the bugs.

Thursday was our first meltdown free day. I am also planning a trip to the library to pick up some books about how awesome bugs are. :-)
daycarediva 07:57 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I am going through this with one of my kids too. He is absolutely terrified of bugs. I have never seen anything like it.

I tried ignoring, reassuring, etc. Nothing worked. I was ready to term this kid. Out of desperation I handed him a super hero cape and a fly swatter. I told him the cape had powers and would make him brave, and that he was in charge of getting rid of all the bugs.

Thursday was our first meltdown free day. I am also planning a trip to the library to pick up some books about how awesome bugs are. :-)
GOOD IDEA! I've tried everything- it's getting worse. It's EXTREME. Not attention seeking, but honest to goodness shaking FEAR. I've never seen anything like it. We also have a HOST of creepy crawlies in the house as pets (crickets, worms, ants, lizard, spider) so it's progressed to INSIDE as well. WOWZA. If I don't respond, it gets WORSE AND WORSE. Today outside she got so scared she peed her pants.
Tags:bugs, fear - bugs
Reply Up