Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Bill for 2 Weeks in Lau of Notice?
Lorna 06:17 AM 01-16-2016
I had a space open up in November. Interviewed a family in December and they wanted the spot. But their child was not starting daycare til March. So they said they wanted the spot and they would pay for the spot. In my manual I have that I require 4 weeks notice if leaving the daycare. It was 2 weeks and I recently changed it to 4 weeks, before these people took the spot. Wed. the mom messaged me and said that they no longer needed the spot that they found another daycare that the hours were better suited to them. Which I know wasn't true because I agreed to take their child at 7:45 when I open at 8. Told them it was no problem. Was probably easier so everyone wasn't arriving at the same time. Worked for them because the dad started at 8 am. But now she is saying they both start at 7.

So now I am wondering whether or not I should charge the 2 weeks in lieu of notice? I don't have another family to instantly take the spot. I need to interview again and start all over. That will take at least 2 weeks. But their child was never here in the spot. Even though it was their spot. Thinking its fair to charge 2 weeks in lieu of notice.

Opinions?
sahm1225 06:58 AM 01-16-2016
Did they pay a deposit?
Lorna 07:37 AM 01-16-2016
No. They have just paid for the spot.
childcaremom 07:38 AM 01-16-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Did they pay a deposit?

To hold a spot, I require a non-refundable deposit. So I would not return the deposit in this case. I collect a deposit equal to 2 weeks tuition, which is also the notice I require.

If they were partly/fully paying for the spot.... hmm. I would want to charge for a full notice period (whatever they agreed to, the 2 or 4 weeks) but I think it would go back to what you have in your contract. If paying for spot but child is not in attendance, full notice of x amt of weeks is required. If notice is not given, full payment of x amt weeks of tuition is required. Or whatever it is.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:39 AM 01-16-2016
Originally Posted by Lorna:
I had a space open up in November. Interviewed a family in December and they wanted the spot. But their child was not starting daycare til March. So they said they wanted the spot and they would pay for the spot. In my manual I have that I require 4 weeks notice if leaving the daycare. It was 2 weeks and I recently changed it to 4 weeks, before these people took the spot. Wed. the mom messaged me and said that they no longer needed the spot that they found another daycare that the hours were better suited to them. Which I know wasn't true because I agreed to take their child at 7:45 when I open at 8. Told them it was no problem. Was probably easier so everyone wasn't arriving at the same time. Worked for them because the dad started at 8 am. But now she is saying they both start at 7.

So now I am wondering whether or not I should charge the 2 weeks in lieu of notice? I don't have another family to instantly take the spot. I need to interview again and start all over. That will take at least 2 weeks. But their child was never here in the spot. Even though it was their spot. Thinking its fair to charge 2 weeks in lieu of notice.

Opinions?
I am a little confused, but if your contract requires a 4 week notice, I would think it is fair to compromise and just do a two weeks notice instead. If the child was actually attending, I would stick to the four weeks, because they would be bringing her if they had to pay for it. Since she is not coming yet and won't be coming during the two weeks notice, I think two is fair, since if you find someone to replace, you can start them right away and not have to wait out the notice, kwim? "Dcm, thank you for the heads up and per our contract, a 4 week notice is required, but I have decided to waive that in favor of a two week notice in this case. Please drop payment off by XX date and best of luck to you and your family at the new place! Thanks!"
MunchkinWrangler 08:56 AM 01-16-2016
I had a situation more extreme but similar. I held a spot unpaid for 6 months for a family. Just had their meeting 2 weeks before starting care, received their enrollment paperwork, talked about the baby's schedule and all my policies and whatnot. That weekend I received an email from them that they were sorry but their friend who was a nanny got let go from her position and offered them her services at my rate. They said it was nothing personal and were excited to start with me but they felt it was a 'special opportunity.' My budget and income for the rest of this month and next month was already set including that income. I responded back that they had signed a contract with me and because they are fulfilling their 2 week notice I would still require payment for the week that they were slated to start and that I haven't interviewed for their spot because it was already filled. In my situation I offered them a huge courtesy but I also needed them to realize that I'm running a business and the contract they signed is serious not just a piece of paper. I feel you should at least get the 2 week notice rate because of this. I took way less but let them know that there was no hard feelings but I also needed to start interviewing and it was a loss of income for me as I don't get paid for the work of filling a spot. They understood and paid. I wish you luck.
Reply Up