Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Now That I'm Retired…

I need to get rid of my stuff! I'm getting everything ready for a yard sale next week but I've never had one and haven't been to one in years. I think I did ok with pricing toys and equipment but I have no clue what to do with the books. I'd say I have about 100 in good enough condition to sell. I have a set of a-z paperbacks so I bundled those. I also bundled about 8 time life library of learning books and 6 Mo Willems books that are practically new. Should I continue to bundle or do one price for paperbacks and one for hardcover? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

Do you have a used book store by the? One that does consignment? You could bring them all there and then use the money to buy more books, if you like to read.

I don't know what to price them, sorry.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think it depends on your area. Books can go for anywhere between .25-1.00 for hardcover and paperbacks are .25-.50. If it were me visiting your sale, I'd rather be able to buy books separately than in a bundle. People might have some within a bundle and are reluctant to ask about breaking up a bunch. That's just me. Went to a sale a couple weeks ago, she had some wonderful gift worthy hardcover and board books, and some with pages that needed fixing. I asked how much and she said a quarter each. I think I bought 3/4's of her books. Even the ones with torn pages.
As I said it depends on your area. And how committed you are to getting rid of everything.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:23 AM
starting daycare someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
I think it depends on your area. Books can go for anywhere between .25-1.00 for hardcover and paperbacks are .25-.50. If it were me visiting your sale, I'd rather be able to buy books separately than in a bundle. People might have some within a bundle and are reluctant to ask about breaking up a bunch.

That's what they generally go for around my area too.
For the sets, sell them individually, but with a discount for the whole set. Just have to take away the discount option once someone buys some but not all.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Daycare.com Member

ITA about not bundling them, unless you've got a bunch by a particular author or are willing to break up the sets. And the pricing Josiegirl listed sounds about right to me too.

You could also let people put together their own sets with a "buy 5 get one free" deal.

Last edited by AmyKidsCo; 06-17-2016 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added another idea.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you guys for your suggestions they helped a lot. I ended up doing a combination of both. I have one big box with an assortment of hardcover, paperback, board and chapter books marked 2/$1 and I did a bunch of theme bundles like all about animals, Disney, little critter, learning manners etc. 5 or 6 to a bundle for $2. I also have a box I couldn't part with that my now grown kids had written in when they were just learning how to write.