Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Struggling Between Being Nice And Standing Firm
Unregistered 09:26 AM 10-04-2017
I have a new client who started last week. From the start I have issues with them......
They were at another center and were to give two week notice which would have put them here on Sept.18th. Then she said no it was Sept 25th!

Then she messages me the day before starting to say the first week they would be Monday and Tue. Then messages again and said second week (this week) they would be Monday and Wed. I do lock ins and told her no. Then she said the gmom who watched him the other days had a dr appointment and she would speak with her about choosing her days and locking them in. So I gave in. So THIS week she was to be Monday and Wed.

Then she messages and asks if she needed FT can she let me know and come FT if needed. I told her no to that to.

Then this week comes....she messages on Sunday and says he has a dr appointment on Wed and says she needs to switch to Friday. Then cancels on Monday cause hes sick. Today she messages and say he now has another dr appointment on Friday and can she switch to Thur!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now she has supposedly locked her days in next week to Monday and Thur. So TECH I can take him. And honestly if it were any other child I would say ok. I know what its like to get dr appointments. But this woman is driving me nuts!!! My gut is saying if I say ok one more time she will just keep asking!

She paid late last week. She asked to pay with a check which I don't allow for new clients (only after the trial period is over and I feel they are trust worthy and not bouncing checks!) He cute wonderful son came to me cause the center he was in had infants that cried all day. Well I can tell you why! The kids in the center weren't making HIM cry. His screaming was making THEM cry! He isn't just a crier. He is a screamer!

Honestly I had him two days and dealt with mom for two weeks and I am kinda done. She isn't exactly on solid ground with me right now.

I am struggling between being nice and allowing the switch cause of the dr appointment and saying "are you crazy?! NO!" Would you help her out with an explanation that this is it!? Or say sorry Charlie?
laundrymom 09:36 AM 10-04-2017
"Mom, I realize that you are new to our program and may not understand how things work for availability in a small program. I will adjust things this time but can't do it going further. Your reserved days are Monday and Tuesday. If you need to continue switching days you may want to think about paying for full time care and just using the days you need. If this is the case please let me know asap so I can adjust availability for a full time position. "
Josiegirl 10:01 AM 10-04-2017
Hit the road Jack.

Sorry, but if you're still within the trial period, I'd just tell her it's not a good fit. If your trial period is over, I'd still tell her it's not working out and give her notice.
A screamer of a child AND a parent who keeps switching everything around. Nope. Unless she's paying a ft slot(which is definitely what she needs) and her child stops screaming, as of today which isn't happening I'm sure, she'd be history and I'd be looking for a new dcf.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 10-04-2017
Next....
Mom2Two 10:29 AM 10-04-2017
Wow, what a story about the crying babies. Sounds like you aren't just her next daycare...she wants you to be her next doormat.
storybookending 11:28 AM 10-04-2017
Peace out girl scout
laundrymom 06:09 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Peace out girl scout
Best answer yet!
Unregistered 08:54 AM 10-05-2017
So. My DH said I should give her a chance to settle. To understand there may be issues she needs to work out regarding the childs dr appointments. And maybe give her one more chance since I really don't know her well enough yet. SO I did. I messaged her and told her I would take him today because this will be his assigned day normally anyway. But I will no longer be able to change him after this week.

She writes back and says "Ok I appreciate that". Great. Done.....

Then she messages again and says "His days will be Tuesday and Thurs. And I guess if he gets sick Im just outta luck! LOL"

*sigh* Just because you add a LOL after your statement doesn't make it any less a passive aggressive complaint.

I do not see this one lasting long.
daycarediva 09:19 AM 10-05-2017
I would be done.

End it easily during the trial period. Late payments, wacky schedules, NOPE.

IF you decide to keep him, I would allow the extra days- only bill as additional day and at a higher rate. Eg. 30/day for each SCHEDULED day. 2 days=60. Wants to switch last minute to another day? SURE. 60+50 for the drop in day.=110. Make the trouble worth your while, or hit her where it hurts, the wallet, and she will either leave, pay up, or stop asking for a different schedule.
amberrose3dg 09:24 AM 10-05-2017
Part timers are a pain! I no longer take them. I have one that tried that in the beginning. She is still a pain to deal with sometimes. She was Monday and Wednesday(she now comes Thursdays also and pays more). She tried that school is closed today can i switch days? No! you pay for those days. They won't pay holidays on days they do not attend. Be firm about it. She will need to schedule things around those days or forfeit her day. He has been out sick yesterday and today. She knows now don't you dare ask me for tomorrow.
HappyEverAfter 11:14 AM 10-05-2017
I don't do trial periods but if I did I certainly would let someone go based off a late payment alone. All the day switching would also be a giant red flag. And her passive aggressive commentary wouldn't fly with me either.
Josiegirl 02:34 AM 10-06-2017
First off, this is your business. If you're not happy, then nobody's happy. Don't let dh run it.
Second, charge this dcm for a FT slot. OR as mentioned, charge her a huge Drop-in fee. How is the dck doing? Screaming will be harder to work on if this dck is so PT.
Tags:backbone, trial period - termination
Reply Up