Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do To Stay Healthy?
Country Kids 01:14 PM 04-03-2012
With ALL the sickness going around this year how are you avoiding the germs and staying well/healthy?

I was sick for the last three weeks. Missed spring break due to being sick and in bed and was sick for the two weeks before that. I was sick in bed a total of about 9 days! I never want to do that again in my life. Yesterday was the first day I have felt great in quiet awhile it seems. I had more energy and just genuiely felt great.

Talking to a friend, we were thinking that maybe working 50+ hours a week just caught up with me and my body needed some serious rest. I haven't never been this sick or in bed that sick in my life! Then with all the germ fests that walk in my door my immune system probably just gave up.

So I'm just wondering what you do to stay healthy? Also, some of you may say your never sick and never miss work. Do you mean you just plain never get colds, minor sicknesses or you get them and push your way through work with them?
Jenniferdawn 01:23 PM 04-03-2012
I rarely get sick (though I did have a pretty bad three day flu this year). I eat very healthy, eating organic when ever possible. I don't eat much dairy, no refined flour. Very little sugar except my dark chocolate covered almonds i occasionally indulge in. I have a green smoothie almost every day. I also take some supplements through the winter: vitamin d3, elderberry and a multivitamin that has a probiotic in it. I get to sleep no later than ten each night, i drink water with apple cider vinegar in the morning and I wash my hands constantly!
Oneluckymom 02:16 PM 04-03-2012
What does the apple cider do for the body? Just curious? How do you make it?
Christian Mother 02:20 PM 04-03-2012
I heard that apple cider vinegar is good for the immune system..supposed to cleans you out...

I hardly ever get sick...then for the past month I've been sick with allergies...I never get allergies...but I had a horrible sinus infection I went to the ER for and worked through it even though I felt awful. I did have my husband help me out though then last week I got sick again from allergies bc we started packing and I ended up losing my voice and having this horrible cough after. I went to the doctor...she said Allergies...really?!! Didn't take any days for that off either. I wish I could of rested in bed but I end up sicker then sick if I am not go go go all day. I feel like I kick it faster that way...as soon as I put my feet up I start feeling awful...
Country Kids 02:28 PM 04-03-2012
I worked through my last sinus infection but this one was something else. Took 4 trips to the doctor and 3 prescriptions to even touch it.

One day/night I slept over 13 hours -that was the first day I was sick and ended up in bed for 5 days. I couldn't even get out of bed to get my own kids up and going, so I knew there was no way I could be chasing 6 little ones.

So I'm curious where you sick from allergies or the sinus infection and did the allergies cause the sinus infection?
Crystal 02:49 PM 04-03-2012
LOTS of handwashing with soap, not sanitizer.

Eat healthy.

Exercise daily....as in cardio and strength training.

I (knock on wood) rarely get sick.
Jenniferdawn 03:59 PM 04-03-2012
Apple cider vinegar strengthens the immune system, helps set the body at optimal ph balance, and gets rid of candida. I really feel so difference when I'm drinking it verses when I'm not. Google it for more info. Theres a lot more it can be used for. Takes a bit to get used to the taste. Sweeten with stevia or honey if you need to and dilute in a cup of water. Buy you want a good brand or it won't work well. I use Braggs.

I used to get bad sinus infections that only antibiotics could get rid of until I discovered using nasal irrigation to get rid of them. Have you ever tried a Neti pot? It feels weird but it really is amazing. Also using a grapefruit seed extract or colloidal silver nasal spray works amazing too, and you won't have to use antibiotics.
Michael 04:02 PM 04-03-2012
Take zinc. Get massages. Good thread here also: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43527
Mary Poppins 04:05 PM 04-03-2012
I am pretty healthy naturally but this year's bug kicked my butt, HARD!!

I drink lots of water, eat healthy(ish) and was into juicing but until I get my garden producing in order to offset the cost I am drinking V8 (regular and Fusion) like mad. I made friends with my treadmill and started doing yoga again when I first wake up.

And I have become OCD about hand washing since starting dc. It didn't seem to help lol.
Michael 04:09 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
I am pretty healthy naturally but this year's bug kicked my butt, HARD!!
That's another thing. Sometimes we are healthier when we let our body’s immune system take on the bug by itself instead of always relying on antibiotics or other medications. I rarely take medication unless my body is losing the battle.

Apple cider vinegar is great as everyone else mentioned.
Sprouts 06:39 PM 04-03-2012
Vitamin C and Olive leaf extract when I feel something wierd brewing...
SunshineMama 04:27 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
With ALL the sickness going around this year how are you avoiding the germs and staying well/healthy?

I was sick for the last three weeks. Missed spring break due to being sick and in bed and was sick for the two weeks before that. I was sick in bed a total of about 9 days! I never want to do that again in my life. Yesterday was the first day I have felt great in quiet awhile it seems. I had more energy and just genuiely felt great.

Talking to a friend, we were thinking that maybe working 50+ hours a week just caught up with me and my body needed some serious rest. I haven't never been this sick or in bed that sick in my life! Then with all the germ fests that walk in my door my immune system probably just gave up.

So I'm just wondering what you do to stay healthy? Also, some of you may say your never sick and never miss work. Do you mean you just plain never get colds, minor sicknesses or you get them and push your way through work with them?
When any of the kids are sick, or if I start to feel sick I take a lot of Vitamin C and ecicnacea (spelling). It works very well! I also go to bed early when I can.
Country Kids 05:43 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
That's another thing. Sometimes we are healthier when we let our body’s immune system take on the bug by itself instead of always relying on antibiotics or other medications. I rarely take medication unless my body is losing the battle.

Apple cider vinegar is great as everyone else mentioned.

I don't like swallowing pills so I try not to have to take medicine. This time I knew though I better be a the doctors getting something. Just the feeeling I had.

Also, whatever we have going around in our area is bad. Sinus infections, severe head colds, respertory infections, and the flu. The majority of the people that are getting sick are missing 2 weeks of school/work-. Its pretty bad.
momofboys 06:01 AM 04-04-2012
I try to exercise 3-4 x a week & I walk for my exercise! When I don't get the exercise I feel run down & tired & I can't keep pounds off either. I also "try" to get at least 7 hours or sleep a night or more but that's difficult for me.
Tags:health
Reply Up