Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Documentary "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price"
Oneluckymom 02:38 PM 04-08-2013
I know many of us shop at walmart...has anyone seen this documentary. I know that there are many people that choose NOT to shop there.

Its really sad that a company that BIG does this to people. I recommend you watch this if you haven't.
daycarediva 02:46 PM 04-08-2013
I haven't seen it, but I try VERY VERY hard to support small business and NOT shop at Walmart/Target unless I can't get it elsewhere. I also have a local family owned grocery store that I adore, and they carry (in comparable prices) everything I need at Walmart.
littlemissmuffet 02:49 PM 04-08-2013
I haven't seen it, but I can imagine...

The reality is, Walmart is successful because they are a one-stop shop and for cheap. Local businesses simply cannot or do not compare.
Oneluckymom 02:55 PM 04-08-2013
What shocked me is that walmart forces its employees to receive government assistance for health care, food stamps, etc because the employees cannot afford to live on the walmart salary and they also don't get paid overtime salaries. walmart does offer health care insurance but it is so high that the workers cannot afford it. This is tax payers money!!

They also take a lot of subsidies away from the communities that could have gone to education, etc!!
Evansmom 04:42 PM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
What shocked me is that walmart forces its employees to receive government assistance for health care, food stamps, etc because the employees cannot afford to live on the walmart salary and they also don't get paid overtime salaries. walmart does offer health care insurance but it is so high that the workers cannot afford it. This is tax payers money!!

They also take a lot of subsidies away from the communities that could have gone to education, etc!!
I haven't seen it but read about all this years ago. Haven't shopped there since. I prefer to pay more than to support their evil business practices.
MotherNature 05:00 PM 04-08-2013
It's a great documentary. I spent several years in a town that allowed Wal-Mart to open just outside of town, avoiding the taxes there, & even giving them tax break for opening. A year later, all the local groceries were out of business & they relocated to another side of town to avoid paying taxes. They left a giant warehouse behind that sat empty for 5-6 years or so til Farm & Fleet bought it. I abhor Wal-Mart & its practices. Now that I live in a place where I have a choice where to shop, I haven't shopped in one in years.
HomeMADE 05:57 PM 04-08-2013
I have seen it also and I am very anti Wal-mart. We often choose to pay more to avoid shopping there. The biggest issue I have is they force good companies to "cheapen" their products so the price point is one that Walmart will and can sell. Often people think they are comparing apple's to apple's, like a lawn mower same brand, and the Walmart brand is not even made with the same parts. It's a scam!!!

We have to be educated consumers. Know what we are putting in our mouths, on our bodies, and spending our hard earned cash on. 1 Walmart that closes down 6 mom and pops in a town does not necessarily equal better because there are more jobs (part time).

Ok rant over.
blandino 06:57 PM 04-08-2013
We are also anti-walmart. The only reason I step foot in there is if I need milk for the daycare and have to run out in the morning. It is way closer than any other grocery store, but that isn't enough to get me to shop there on a regular basis. I use them for emergencies only. I actually go so far as to avoid purchasing other items that I can purchase later, when making an emergency run inside. I definitely choose to pay more and shop elsewhere. I loathe the physical location, and even more so the corporate practices and impact on our country.
jen 07:15 PM 04-08-2013
No Walmart for me either!!!
Bugsworthy 07:30 PM 04-10-2013
We saw the documentary also. It made me sick...the greed. We prefer to shop elsewhere also.
Reply Up