Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>East (New Brunswick) or West (Manitoba) - which way to go
Mike 08:45 AM 01-24-2017
I know there are lots of areas in Ontario where there is a demand for daycare, but I spent a year in Alberta, have visited Brandon, Manitoba, have visited Fredericton, New Brunswick, and I'm making a big change. When I make big changes, I like to go all out. I already know rules and regulations for unlicensed home daycare in each province, and average rates. Manitoba and New Brunswick are also both slightly lower house rental costs.

I'm going to look for a room to rent initially, so I can get out there, advertise renovations and try to get a part time job, then within 1 or 2 months, rent a house, and start my daycare a couple weeks later.

If I go to NB, it'll be either St John, Fredericton, or maybe Moncton area. If I go to MB, it'll be Winnipeg, Brandon, or Dauphin area.

If you live in or near, or know about, any of those areas, are any of them possibly best or worst? High/low demand, accepting/not of male providers, easy/hard to rent a small house for under $1000?

Once I get moved out of this place and temporarily settled at my mother's, I'm going to research each area, pick one, then get a room for rent online, move, and get my new business/life started.

Back to packing
childcaremom 09:00 AM 01-24-2017
I'm in NS.

I know NB is cheaper, in terms of buying a house, but not sure about childcare rates. I've heard it's less than here, average is 34-38.
Ariana 09:12 AM 01-24-2017
Will you need french in NB? cost of living is way lower out East but taxes can be higher.
Mike 09:52 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I'm in NS.

I know NB is cheaper, in terms of buying a house, but not sure about childcare rates. I've heard it's less than here, average is 34-38.
In researching average housing and daycare costs, they seem to be more or less inline on provincial average. Province that generally costs more to live, costs more for daycare.

Over the years, I tried and tried to be rich. That's why I went into business at age 14. We learn from our mistakes. I learned that I would rather be lower income, lower expenses, and focus more on life. MB and NB are the most suitable provinces for that, so now it's just narrowing down the locations.

Originally Posted by Ariana:
Will you need french in NB? cost of living is way lower out East but taxes can be higher.
French would be an asset, but my last French course was grade 8, a couple years ago. (1978 to be more accurate)
That's why I narrowed NB down to the Southern area because it's more English than the Northern part. If I go there and it works out, I plan to take a course on French because it would be nice to know. I still remember numbers and a few words and phrases, but that's it for my français.
Puddleduck 11:14 AM 01-24-2017
I lived in NS near the NB border for a decade, up until 3 years ago. So pretty close to the Moncton area. Realistically I don't think they would be open minded about a male daycare provider which is sad. Nice people but not very open minded. I'm sure there are some families who would be fine with it but it would be a challenge for you.
Mike 11:54 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
I lived in NS near the NB border for a decade, up until 3 years ago. So pretty close to the Moncton area. Realistically I don't think they would be open minded about a male daycare provider which is sad. Nice people but not very open minded. I'm sure there are some families who would be fine with it but it would be a challenge for you.
Thanks. Unless someone else says the opposite, Moncton is off the list.
Reply Up