Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Guys Ever Price To Avoid Problem Parents?
TBird 10:40 AM 03-22-2011
Do any of you ever consider higher prices to avoid parents who won't pay or follow policies??? I have a friend who does daycare too and she says that she makes her prices high enough that she only attracts parents who can afford it (mostly parents who work in the City). They are usually professionals so they know how business works and will follow her policies as well. She says I got my last "flake" because my prices are too reasonable and the mom latched on to me for that reason.

Do any of you believe in doing this??? I feel like it would take longer to fill spots but then again the flake mom did pick me because the lady she visited before me charged $50 more per week (which I think is way too expensive). What are your thoughts???
daycare 10:45 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Do any of you ever consider higher prices to avoid parents who won't pay or follow policies??? I have a friend who does daycare too and she says that she makes her prices high enough that she only attracts parents who can afford it (mostly parents who work in the City). They are usually professionals so they know how business works and will follow her policies as well. She says I got my last "flake" because my prices are too reasonable and the mom latched on to me for that reason.

Do any of you believe in doing this??? I feel like it would take longer to fill spots but then again the flake mom did pick me because the lady she visited before me charged $50 more per week (which I think is way too expensive). What are your thoughts???
I do this as well.... think about this...cheap mean fast fill, but might be a headache family or child....
I do belive that professionals are more business friendly people and are more respectful of your policies and rules.

All of my families own their own companies or are teachers. I don't take any state funded programs.

This may sound bad, but it is what works for me and my program.
Live and Learn 10:55 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I do this as well.... think about this...cheap mean fast fill, but might be a headache family or child....
I do belive that professionals are more business friendly people and are more respectful of your policies and rules.

All of my families own their own companies or are teachers. I don't take any state funded programs.

This may sound bad, but it is what works for me and my program.
I could have written this.....

I know it sounds uppity but I do this too!
My clients are all teachers or business owners.
They understand the rules of business.
wdmmom 11:15 AM 03-22-2011
I'm a pretty good judge of character so I can pretty much determine after talking on the phone or meeting for the first time whether the parents are people I could see myself working for.

The parents I have now are a good group of people. Most of them have good jobs and are all 25 years old or older.

I've found that working for young mothers/parents, they will up and leave without notice, without paying, and will have complete disregard for your rules. It's not that I won't (because I have in the past) but the parents can be just as much a handful as the kids!

I specifically have it noted in my website that I do not have set rates. There's a logical reason for that!
SunflowerMama 11:34 AM 03-22-2011
My prices are definitely on the high end for my area and I LOVE all my families. All of them pick up and drop off on time, all of them follow the policies, pay on time and appreciate me all the time.

I'm full and get calls every week.

For me, if I were a parent looking and saw a higher priced program I would expect there was a reason why. When families visit here and see how happy the kids are and how amazingly they eat and what they are learning and how much time and love I put into my program...they don't say a word about the price.
PeanutsGalore 11:34 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:

Like others, I think your price will attract certain clients. It's just like anything else: those who can afford yale go to yale...those who can't either figure a clever way to do it (in which case, they appreciate it more), or they go elsewhere. You have to set your prices accordingly.

That being said, I personally don't turn away business if they can afford me, so long as I think they will be a good fit for my program. Wherever the money is coming from, you can probably tell when you talk to someone if they are going to be a problem or not. I'm not en/discouraging you from taking state clients, but you might run into one who actually DOES understand business and can respect you accordingly. Especially in these economic times. People who would never have qualified for help before because they made decent salaries can qualify now and they may come from a business / self-employed background.
Unregistered 11:39 AM 03-22-2011
That is so disheartening to me. I work hard, so does my husband, but we don't make a ton of money. Where we are daycare for an infant is $250/week on the lower end, $350/week at a center. I am a super punctual person, very easy to work with, 26 years old, professional, BS degree, etc. But I can't afford most daycares. I could afford about $200/week but those places are not as clean or nice as the more expensive places. I understand not everyone is like me, but it sucks that it is stereotyped as such.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 03-22-2011
I don't have this situation any more as Ihave grown a pretty tough backbone over the years and have gotten alot wiser in my old age but Iused to raise my rates for families who were becoming an issue and I didn't have the backbone to just up and terminate and telling them honestly that they were driving me crazy....I just told them "oh, and as of ***x date, I will now be charging $ per day/hour" and it worked every time except once and the mom agreed to th new higher rate! So atleast the troublesome family paid me a high rate for their troublesome child and I felt somewhat vindicated.

However, now I find my self old enough to be truthful and honest and NO LONGER willing to put up wiht anyones bulls**t. It is uncomfortable and not always easy but neither is listening to a 2 yr old kid scream all day because mom holds him 24/7 or having a 7 yr old bite my younger ones because mom tells him it is okay to do it if the little ones are buggin him!

I have basic rates and sometimes those rates are higher or lower depending on the amount of time or effort that has to be given for a specific child.

For example, I have one who gets off a bus from an early childhood program he attends and the bus needs to be met physically by an adult so I charge the parent a higher rate because it requires more than an regular child. I also have a one who gets a neb treatment once daily, her rate is slightly higher and I have one who goes to a gymnastic class in the midle of the day, I have to help her get her leotard on and then off when she is returned and her rate is also slightly higher.

None of my parents seem to discuss what they pay with each other so I highly doubt any of them are aware of what anyone else pays.
SimpleMom 01:53 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
That is so disheartening to me. I work hard, so does my husband, but we don't make a ton of money. Where we are daycare for an infant is $250/week on the lower end, $350/week at a center. I am a super punctual person, very easy to work with, 26 years old, professional, BS degree, etc. But I can't afford most daycares. I could afford about $200/week but those places are not as clean or nice as the more expensive places. I understand not everyone is like me, but it sucks that it is stereotyped as such.
Oh my word! That's waaay too expensive! How on earth do you afford daycare? I'm so sorry. Providers where I live charge a minimum of $115.oo/week for 40 hours and it goes up from there and we are typically on the low end. Even just 40 minutes out from us it's about $175/week for home childcare. HOpe things get easier for you where you are. That's just way to much
daycare 02:04 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am sorry to have offend you in any way, but you are not the norm and there is an exception to every rule. I would have to say that you are the exception here. Also, I did not say that I only take white collar workers, I just prefer professionals...

Here daycare cost about the same, if not more.... so I see where you are at with this, however wages are also a lot higher as well.
TBird 06:01 PM 03-22-2011
Thanks for weighing in on this guys....I'm not a "cheap" establishment by any means, but I have about $25 more that I could charge per week and still be "acceptable". Any more than that and I think I would be over-the-top for this area.

I'm starting to agree with a lot of you though. Higher prices usually deter people who won't pay you right off the bat!!! It's not all about the money (obviously) but I do need to make money to be able to furnish food, toys & program materials for the children. It amazes me how parents think that you can run a family daycare without the income...it's just beyond me!!! I was 24 years old when I had my first child and I ALWAYS valued my provider...never paid late, never complained, and followed all her rules. I was certainly the exception to the rule.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to get an interview through the door without telling parents what you charge??? I'd rather them SEE what I have to offer before they say they can't afford it...
momatheart 06:07 PM 03-22-2011
I see what you are all saying. I mean hear what you're all saying.
E Daycare 06:16 PM 03-22-2011
Unfortunate for me I have adopted this policy. I made the one time exception to lower my rate and its bitten me in the rear ever since. I shouldve seen this family coming a mile away but I was desperate to get the ball rolling better that I agreed to come down $25.00 a week. I know that doesnt seem like a lot but then they knocked down a day (so dcg comes only 4 days a week) so thats another $30.00 a day. I lose out on $220 a month alone.

I have a full time rate dcf in which the mother is a teacher and if I could just have one more parent like this Id be living the life. Shes polite, on time, in and out, never late or early and is a complete joy (so far...). Always tells me how much she loves that her son comes here and her son is great too. I got really lucky with this family and they never questioned my rate and would like for her son to come 4 days instead of the 3 he comes (but her ex mother in law gets the kids 2 days a week) and would gladly pay for that extra day.

Like with most home day cares you get what you pay for and I believe the reverse is true also. Someone looking for $40.00 a week full time care is not a person Id do business with. As I wouldnt take my son somewhere offering $40/week care either.

Ive had nothing but issues with my rate reduced family but with my other two normal rate families are just peachy (I only have 3 so this is my basis right now, not saying that this is actual or the norm). So when I get emails in response to my ad saying they cant afford my $175/week rate but really likes my education, daycare room, and how I run things I tell them "thanks for looking" but just cant risk it.

Its a horrible stereotype I know and I always feel bad but this one family I have has scared me away from those who want a discount. I just takes one in a bunch.
daycare 06:21 PM 03-22-2011
I never discuss fees until they come for a tour and see my program. I tell them what I offer on the phone, explain my program when they ask the price, I tell them it depends on what you need. Then tell them that because of the type of program that I offer, I am not the cheapest DC out here, but I am also not the highest either. I would really like to invite you to come tour our DC and see what our program is all about. We can discuss more about pricing when you are here. I have tomorrow at 6:00 or Tuesday at 6:30, which day would you like to come? (i never book so far out as they always flake) I get them to comit to a day that I chose. If they say they can't do those times, then I open up to what will work best for you? I always call them in the afternoon on the day of their interview to confirm that they are coming. Or I might to a call the night before to remind them of their appointment.

So far I have only had one family not sign with me that I kind of wanted. Reason was becuase I would not allow for the mom and child to come tour during DC hours when children were present. But I stood my ground and said I'm sorry, you can come weekends or after hours and the mom refused that offer, so I moved on.......I'll stop talking now,......lol sorry
Tags:rate increase
Reply Up