Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is the concern fever?
daycare 04:26 PM 05-24-2011
So i just got off the phone with an advice nurse who told me that I should not worry so much about a child haivng a fever, but more on how they are acting. Ex. crying, moody, fatigue and so on.

So this morning I have a dcb who arrived with a 99.0 temp and has been going back and forth all day from that to 99.9. My policy excludes at 100.0
the issue is taht this child has been crying all day, slept almost all day and has not been able to do anthing at all. I know the parents will put up a fight when I tell them that the child cannot attend tomorrow. the first thing that they will say is well the temp did not reach 100.0 and you don't have proof. Yes they will come at me this way..

What would you say to the parents about excluding the child. I can't have this happen again tomorrow. We are already missing out on the park today because she is still asleep right now....ugh
mickey2 04:29 PM 05-24-2011
If a child is not well enough to participate in activities, is excessively cranky, moody or clearly not feeling well they must stay home! Period! End of story!
daycare 04:40 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
If a child is not well enough to participate in activities, is excessively cranky, moody or clearly not feeling well they must stay home! Period! End of story!
I do have this in my policy, but I cant predict that this will happen tomorrow and. Im over having to check the temp every 30 min or so.
mickey2 04:43 PM 05-24-2011
Are you able to call the mom to see how the child is doing. Maybe say you want to discuss further the type of day she had because you were unable to talk at pickup time? Clearly state that if child is unwell tomorrow she must stay home because you and the kiddos are going out.
sharlan 05:07 PM 05-24-2011
If you are concerned, which I would be, tell the parent the fever was over 100. They can't prove that it wasn't.
daycare 05:46 PM 05-24-2011
I would never lie, but I know what you mean...

I guess what I was trying to say is that there is no way for me to prove that the kid slept all day cried when was awake and its very obvious the child is getting sick. But what will stink is that little JR will be here tomorrow until sent home and everyone is exposed once again...ugh bummer
e.j. 07:03 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
... there is no way for me to prove that the kid slept all day cried when was awake and its very obvious the child is getting sick.
Why do you need to prove anything? It's your house, your business and your rules. If a parent told me I didn't have "proof" of a child's temp or cranky behavior when I called to ask them to pick up due to illness, I think I'd have to consider termination - and I'm not one who terminates my familes easily. I've never done it in 15 years of business but that kind of response would cause me to seriously consider it unless a sincere apology came quickly after. That's just so disrespectful.

To me, the 100.0 cut off temp is a guideline more than a hard and fast rule. If the child's behavior indicated he was sick, I'd have sent him home with a 99.9 temp.
daycare 07:08 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Why do you need to prove anything? It's your house, your business and your rules. If a parent told me I didn't have "proof" of a child's temp or cranky behavior when I called to ask them to pick up due to illness, I think I'd have to consider termination - and I'm not one who terminates my familes easily. I've never done it in 15 years of business but that kind of response would cause me to seriously consider it unless a sincere apology came quickly after. That's just so disrespectful.

To me, the 100.0 cut off temp is a guideline more than a hard and fast rule. If the child's behavior indicated he was sick, I'd have sent him home with a 99.9 temp.
You are so right and not sure why I deal with this behavior from the parents. They never question anything other than when their kid get sick. This little guy is sick at least once is twice a month and I have to send him home. I know that get upset and I hate upsetting anyone is why I get I fret over having to tell them.

They should take my word and let it be just that. I'm going to call them in a few to tell them DCB will be excluded from care tomorrow

Thanks for responding and knocking some sense into my head. Lol
e.j. 08:03 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Thanks for responding and knocking some sense into my head. Lol
You're welcome! I tend to tolerate an awful lot more than I should from some of my dc parents so I know how it feels not to want to upset anyone but this problem struck a nerve with me. How did they react when you called them?
dEHmom 08:59 AM 05-25-2011
you know, i hate to admit this, but because we have a crawl space basement, we have a lot of moisture problems, which cause mold to grow. it's treated, and I know we are safe.

But EVERYTIME we get sick, it goes through my head. And family members always ask "is there mold?" lol.

truth is though, there could be mold in these kids houses, and even if you can't see it, find it, or whatever, it could be weakening their immune systems, causing them to be more sick.

I don't know why i just thought of that, but I wonder if some of the kids that get posted on here for ALWAYS being sick, might have mold in their homes. Most people, if they don't see any surface mold, would never think there is hidden mold in the house. Even some moisture in the air ducts can start to mold, and when the fan is pushing air through, it's circulating in the house. I wish there was a way for those who are like us, and stuck with crappy houses, to eradicate the issue. I am constantly airing out my home, and running dehumidifiers because the humidity in the summer, especially after a hard rain, or days of raining, because it seeps in.

this house that we bought is awful, and i wish we never did. we were 18 yo and bought it off my fil. I've since learned, that everything he gives us, sells, or whatever, is his way of getting rid of a problem. i wish we could afford to move, but what we would need to get on the sale of this home, would never happen. we are stuck, at least until we get our debts paid off.
Reply Up