Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do Departures Go in Your Daycares?...
MrsCoffee 06:34 PM 02-28-2010
Ok so I have been BBS for a very long time and have made the leap to get my license! Yay! Ok here is the question, who gets the children ready to go home? I used to have the parents do it but as a common complaint I often read and totally feel, the parents often doddle and can't control their children. I don't like chaos so I have adjusted my routine and have the little angels "Packed and ready" It works best and yes I still have the "one" parent that I can't get out, ARG!

Is this common, just wanted to know how you all do departures in your daycare.
Persephone 07:29 PM 02-28-2010
Personally I think the parent should do it. They also need to take coats off when the get there.

If the child is old enough and I see the parent coming I have them start getting ready on their own.
AmandasFCC 08:46 PM 02-28-2010
For me it depends on the kids. Generally when I see the parents arriving I'll tell the kid "It's time to get ready to go - clean up your toys" or whatever. If pick ups are a true nightmare, with parents sticking around too long, I get the kid dressed and shoo them up the stairs and busy myself with something with the other kids (which lately hasn't been a problem, they've been such nightmares!) so they don't stick around.
mac60 03:33 AM 03-01-2010
I try to make sure their shoes are on, and then it depends on the individual kid. If they are not cooperative at pick up, I will put their coat on them. Mostly I find that the kids become little demons the moment the parent walks in.
momma2girls 04:55 AM 03-01-2010
I feel the same way. If the parents do not pick up, by about 10 min. before their contracted pick up time, I do start them getting ready. If I do not do this, it is very tough, to have them out even 15 min. after their time. THe chidren dink around, run around with their shoes on, do not listen to parents, etc. etc........
Daycare Mommy 05:17 AM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
The chidren dink around, run around with their shoes on, do not listen to parents, etc. etc........
Yep! That's our pickup time for every single child here. For the most part they behave all day long for me but their parent steps in the front door and all heck breaks loose. You'd think I'd been feeding them a straight diet of pixie sticks all day the way they act! They run in circles, scream (happily), appear to lose the ability to hear anyone, take off across my living room carpet in their shoes, try to run places they aren't allowed, then some dissolve into whining and crying because I tell them no and/or their parents make such unreasonable requests as putting on their coats in 30 degree temps.

Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
If the parents do not pick up, by about 10 min. before their contracted pick up time, I do start them getting ready.
That's a very good idea! I think I'm adopting that one!
GretasLittleFriends 07:12 AM 03-01-2010
About 15-20 mins before a parent is supposed to arrive I have that particular child clean up the toys they are playing with (if they're not sleeping). They are then allowed to read or color until their parent gets here. We have a long driveway and a separate entry room. When I see the car enter the driveway I send child down to get their boots/coat on. Of course the child/ren rarely listen. They instead try to stare out the door, smearing up the window. Parents struggle to get the child dressed ready to go. If I use a stern voice the child/ren usually know I mean business.

I have found that the children listen better to me than their own parent when parents are present.

I have some children that get picked up after bedtime. These children I let sleep as long as possible. The parents remove their own shoes, then come and (physically) pick-up sleeping child, getting them ready themselves. I, of course, have their things ready to go, and shoes/coats ready and waiting.
tenderhearts 09:16 AM 03-01-2010
Since I have a lot of windows I can see when each parent arrives so as soon as I see them pull in I tell the child it's time to get their shoes on and I get them on so they are ready when the parent gets to the door. If I have 2 or more parents going to be arriving right about the same time then I get their shoes on(if they are clean) before they pull in or else it's chaos at my door. I have a couple that start to not listen and follow directions as soon as their parent gets here and it's usually if more than one child is being picked up or if the parent starts talking to me so I have a firm talk with them that they need to listen and follow directions or else they will sit in time out. Most of my parents are pretty good about keeping their kids in line thank goodness.
kelli050 04:34 PM 03-01-2010
I always try to have the children ready for their parents when they pick up. I've always liked having my children ready to go when I picked them up from daycare so I try to provide the same convenience. Of course it is harder in the winter because you don't want to get them all bundled up just to stand around and get too warm, but I try to get everything timed out right so it's easier for the parents to just pick up and go. 9 times out of 10 this is easier for everyone all around
originalkat 04:38 PM 03-01-2010
I always have their shoes on and papers ready in their mailbox. The parents grab their coat out of their cubby when they come in the door.
momofboys 09:16 PM 03-01-2010
I try to prompt the children to get ready before parent arrives by cleaning up & getting shoes on, etc. If I do not pick-up tends to take a lot longer & who needs that? Not me!! One mom even calls us 5 min before she leaves work (she works 10 min from our home) so it helps us get her kids ready.
Tags:pick up
Reply Up