Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Folders/Cubbies/Coat Racks
kpa0627 06:08 AM 04-26-2010
Hi everyone! I'm trying to find cute/cheap things to use for storing parent folders and cubbies for each child and a coat rack. Does anyone have any clever ideas that are on the cheapish side? Post pics if possible and where you purchased the items/price. Thanks
jen 06:55 AM 04-26-2010
IKEA has some really cute cubbie storage! We have one in the entryway and one downstairs for toys. Love them!
MarinaVanessa 08:25 AM 04-26-2010
I purchased a nine cubby shelving unit from Lowe's for about $50. Home Depot should carry the same one (it's closetmaid I think but I could be wrong). They also carry soft cubes with a handle in the front that you could fold up when you're not using them for about $5 a cubby. They're made of cloth but have supports sewn in and being that they're the same brand as the cubbie shelf, they fit perfectly in the holes so they work like drawers. You can get the cubes at Target also and they come in all sorts of different colors. I like them because they can fit papers, notes, smaller projects, shoes, extra clothes etc.

For a coat rack my hubby made me one that wasn't very expensive. He's good with woodwork but it's so simple that I think even I could have done it. He just bought a plank from the lumber yard and grooved the edges to make it more decorative and then I painted it with white glossy paint. He bought inexpensive coat hooks (from Lowe's) and we just screwed them onto the plank and then drilled the whole think to the wall.
gkids09 12:06 PM 04-26-2010
Instead of using cubbies, I use plastic baskets, which I found at Dollar Tree. The kids bring an extra set of clothes, and that's where I leave those and toys or art projects that won't fit in their folders to send home. I bought folders not too long ago, but I can't for the life of me remember where I found them. I know it was online, and I got a box of 50 (I think?) red ones. Inside I place an incentive chart, which we use for behavior http://www.teacherstorehouse.com/pro...ry%5Fkey%3D495. Those are not the exact ones that I use, but something really similar. I'm sorry, I just can't remember where I get everything. I use a dry erase marker and mark their behavior green, yellow, or red each day. I also found an All About My Day chart on thedaycarelady.com (FREE), printed and laminated it for each child, and I also use a dry erase marker on that.
As for coat hooks, my grandmother already had those done...So I don't know what to tell you about those. I did find one of those over the door things that has 6 hooks on it (I think it's for towels) at Lowe's. You may could find something like that and find a low spot to hang it.. Just some ideas. Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps!
originalkat 01:21 PM 04-26-2010
I use a small bookshelf I found at a garage sale for $5.00 along with plstic Sterilite containers for their cubbies. Then on top I have clear plastic paper trays that I found at Office Max ( 7.99 for 4). I call them the Parent Mailboxes. When they come in to pick up they just grab their papers. I have used folders/crates with hanging folders etc...in the past and I found that parents just would forget. These are so visable for them and for me. I LOVE them.(again. I dont know why this picture is SO large.) LOL!

kpa0627 07:31 AM 04-27-2010
Original Kat,
I love the idea of the clear plastic paper trays as parent mailboxes. I'm going to purchase those and use that idea! Thanks :-)
Tags:coat racks, cubbies, folders, trays
Reply Up