Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Anybody here vegetarian? (plus mini vent)
Hunni Bee 10:40 AM 03-16-2013
I have recently gone vegetarian (I just woke up one day and couldn't stand meat anymore). I still eat fish, eggs and dairy, but no beef, chicken and I gave up pork years ago.

But my issue is this. My fibroids are causing my stomach to be very small...I find that I can only eat child size portions, sometimes not even that. I am constantly hungry. I try to eat as much protein as I can, I eat so much yogurt... And also while I thank God I dont have morning sickness, I have lost the taste for many foods...milk, cereal, bread and a lot of others. I basically eat fruit, veggies, pasta and yogurt.

Any vegetarians who have been preggo, how did you handle the hunger? I can't stop to eat at.work very much and I spend a lot of money grabbing food while out, healthy snacks cost so much more than chips and a hotdog . I bring food from home, but I'm out by lunchtime...
just_peachy 10:53 AM 03-16-2013
My bff had the exact same problem. She struggled it all the way through the nursing years. Some things that helped her: switching to full-fat everything. Butter, yogurt, etc. (It's less processed anyway.) Also she ate a TON of legumes. Lots of beans but way more legumes. She got creative with sneaking protein in places she normally wouldn't either, like almond powder in smoothies, mac. and cheese, etc. Some doctors suggested protein powders to her, but she was leery of those.

Good luck!
MotherNature 04:39 PM 03-16-2013
I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now. Recently found out I have multiple food intolerances, like dairy, corn, peanut, egg yolk, & a severe intolerance to gluten & wheat, which I eliminated about a month ago. In order to stave off hunger as a vegetarian, just eat more often..Veggies are not that filling at times, but roasted veggies & mashed potatoes w/ BBQ sauce or mushroom gravy are great. If you eat wheat, google a recipe for chickpea cutlets. They're easy. I baked mine instead of frying like they suggest. Beans & rice, enchiladas, mac & cheese.. All filling comfort foods. Now's a great time to try different cuisine. India & some African countries like Morocco & Ethiopia are incredibly vegetarian/vegan friendly. Let me know if you need some good recipe sites.
Hunni Bee 07:02 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now. Recently found out I have multiple food intolerances, like dairy, corn, peanut, egg yolk, & a severe intolerance to gluten & wheat, which I eliminated about a month ago. In order to stave off hunger as a vegetarian, just eat more often..Veggies are not that filling at times, but roasted veggies & mashed potatoes w/ BBQ sauce or mushroom gravy are great. If you eat wheat, google a recipe for chickpea cutlets. They're easy. I baked mine instead of frying like they suggest. Beans & rice, enchiladas, mac & cheese.. All filling comfort foods. Now's a great time to try different cuisine. India & some African countries like Morocco & Ethiopia are incredibly vegetarian/vegan friendly. Let me know if you need some good recipe sites.
thank you. Im hungry so often, I am actually sick of eating and thinking about food, which I never imagined. I know little one has to eat though. And yes, those sites would be great. My partner and I both are vegetarian, and i dont want to start repeating the same meals
SilverSabre25 08:39 PM 03-16-2013
Could you make some really nutrient- and protein- rich smoothies? then you can sip away at it all day, especially if you invest in some nice insulated stainless steel thermoses.

Along with protein you need to be sure to eat enough healthy fats--they give you the fullness feeling.

Spinach, full fat yogurt, something like 100% juice or coconut milk or even whole milk, flax meal, protein powder, frozen fruit (like berries, pineapple, mango...). You can even put avocado or peanut butter/almond butter in there. My usual ratio is 1 part yogurt, 1 part liquid, 2 parts fruit, and then however much of the other stuff seems reasonable. It helps to put the spinach in with the liquid and blend that up, then add the rest.
SunnyDay 05:21 AM 03-17-2013
I think the smoothie idea is a great one! When I was pregnant and working at a job where I couldn't stop to eat all the time I would bring Carnation Instant Breakfast and drink it while working.
MamaBearCanada 05:24 AM 03-17-2013
I agree with using full fat everything - cheese, yoghurt, cream sauce. For protein quinoa is a good choice. Nuts, flax and avocado for fats.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:41 AM 03-17-2013
I bought a juicer and I juice carrots and green apples that seems to keep me "full" Honestly that is what I have for breakfast and lunch most days since the littles keep me busy. Munching on almonds or walnuts helps too. Slice up cucumbers, carrots, peppers and munch on those. Eat cooked whole grains at breakfast and lunch. I am currently in love with barley and brown rice.. even on salads. Salad I add a grain and avacado. I also add chia sees for the omegas. Non vegan you can add hardboiled egg or some cheese to that. Brown rice cakes with almond or peanut butter.
daycarediva 08:31 AM 03-17-2013
Protein shakes! I use a whey protein powder, milk, frozen fruit and ice, it's DELICIOUS! (the chocolate protein powder & frozen banana taste like an ice cream sundae!) I have atleast two/day.
Hunni Bee 11:45 AM 03-17-2013
Thanks for all your suggestions ladies. I used to do the smoothies with half a pack of instant breakfast, stopped for whatever reason...ill do them again, with a whole pack. Hopefully that'll at least take the edge off for a couple hours
Willow 02:24 PM 03-17-2013
Might be a question to run by your doc Hunni. If you've never been vegetarian before and you're currently pregnant getting some solid medical advice as to how to keep your diet balanced and complete could be pretty important
MotherNature 07:44 AM 03-18-2013
theppk.com
recipage.com is good b/c you can really customize the search field
manjulas kitchen has some great Indian food.
tastespotting.com just search vegetarian
Reply Up