Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Preschool Opened Today!!!
kendallina 11:50 AM 08-30-2010
So, today was my first day of preschool. I was doing child care for a few children over the last couple of months, but today was the first official preschool day!! I had 4 kids plus my 1 daughter this morning from 8:30-11:30. I loved it!! We had so much fun and the kids listened so well, it was just great! These kids come Monday and Wednesdays.

Then, tomorrow, I have 3 kids plus my daughter for Tuesday/Thursday group. I can't wait. I should be exhausted because I couldn't sleep last night (nerves, I guess), but I feel full of energy!

I do have one dcb here for the next few days in the afternoons, but after that, my afternoons are free! Whew!
Katy
MrsCoffee 11:53 AM 08-30-2010
Congratulations!!!!
What did you have to do to open your own preschool?
What state are you in?
misol 11:59 AM 08-30-2010
Congratulations and best of luck!
kendallina 12:00 PM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:
Congratulations!!!!
What did you have to do to open your own preschool?
What state are you in?
In Ohio. We don't need a license unless you have more than 6 children. I used to be a director of a center-based preschool, so that experience (as well as my preschool teacher exp) really helped me to know what to do to open. I have a playroom in the upstairs of my house that we use as our preschool room and I run it just like a center would (well, almost); small group time, circle time, work time, etc.

Fortunately for this year, I was able to advertise through our local playgroup/library time group and that's where all of my parents came from. Next year, it might be more difficult to get full, we'll see.
Michael 12:01 PM 08-30-2010
Congratulations kendallina!
thatgagirl 03:47 PM 08-30-2010
wow that is great! I fully intended on doing preschool this year, had everything set up, ran ads, interviewed....and noone called back. Around here the churches hold the monopoly on preschools
kendallina 04:29 PM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by thatgagirl:
wow that is great! I fully intended on doing preschool this year, had everything set up, ran ads, interviewed....and noone called back. Around here the churches hold the monopoly on preschools
Yeh, that is one advantage I have around here, there is only one preschool run by the city and apparently it doesn't have the best reputation. I live in a small college town, so most of my kids' moms are stay-at-home moms and they are looking for something small-ish and it helps that I have a grad degree in Human Development. I really lucked out to move to this town, it's just perfect!

Are you thinking of trying again next year? One thing that may help is opening up the ages, I enroll 2-5 year olds (all 2-3 year olds this year). Of course, you'd have to be willing to do diapers, but this was the age group of my circle of playgroup friends and they were actually the ones that convinced me to do it. A couple of the parents think they are sending their kids onto the city's preschool next year, but I'm really hoping they won't want to leave me after this year!
Tags:opening, pre school
Reply Up