Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice - Food Issue
crazydaycarelady 06:44 PM 06-16-2015
I have written about this family before. Child is 2 1/2, I'm pretty sure he is on the spectrum, eats well here but not home. He hasn't gained weight in 6 months so the Doc recommended Pedia-Sure. Sometimes they tell me he didn't eat any food since he left here the day before. Also, he will consistently drink milk and he does drink the milk based Pedia-sure.

So, today they announce they are taking him off dairy. This was not recommended but he doctor, they just think it will force him to eat. I do not support this AT ALL. Milk is the one thing he does eat at home. Plus he eats food here so whatever reason he doesn't eat at home is a behavioral issue!

Should I just tell them I would need a Doctors note for this? Maybe I really would since I am on the FP. Or just continue to do what I normally do and let them flounder at home with this?
Unregistered 08:17 PM 06-16-2015
Did they ask you to stop offering milk? If not I would just go about the meal like normal.
cheerfuldom 08:41 PM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Did they ask you to stop offering milk? If not I would just go about the meal like normal.
agree. If they said"we are taking him off milk at home" I wouldnt take that as instruction to get him off milk at daycare
Thriftylady 08:44 PM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
agree. If they said"we are taking him off milk at home" I wouldnt take that as instruction to get him off milk at daycare
In my handbook any special diets require a doctors script.
daycarediva 03:00 AM 06-17-2015
Dr's note! I feed everyone the same unless I have a pediatrician's note, and the FP here would require it, along with an acceptable substitute.

Before Mom presses the dr for a note (which they may or may not give anyway) I would ask her for her reasoning, and explain that he eats for you and drinks dairy. If he isn't eating and filling up on milk at home, they could try offering milk only after his meal is over and water with meals at home.
Blackcat31 11:29 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have written about this family before. Child is 2 1/2, I'm pretty sure he is on the spectrum, eats well here but not home. He hasn't gained weight in 6 months so the Doc recommended Pedia-Sure. Sometimes they tell me he didn't eat any food since he left here the day before. Also, he will consistently drink milk and he does drink the milk based Pedia-sure.

So, today they announce they are taking him off dairy. This was not recommended but he doctor, they just think it will force him to eat. I do not support this AT ALL. Milk is the one thing he does eat at home. Plus he eats food here so whatever reason he doesn't eat at home is a behavioral issue!

Should I just tell them I would need a Doctors note for this? Maybe I really would since I am on the FP. Or just continue to do what I normally do and let them flounder at home with this?
Dairy is a required component of the food program.

You would not be able to remove dairy from his diet without a Diet Statement from the Dr. The diet statement also needs to list an alternative substitute.
Unregistered 01:16 PM 06-17-2015
You don't need a dr's note for the food program for a non disabled child. A note from the parents saying no dairy milk and their reasons is enough. You do need an approved substitute. There are only a few to choose from.
KidGrind 08:13 AM 06-21-2015
The food program requires a doctor’s note based on a medical reason.

I cannot & will not (any longer) deny any child a balanced meal based on a parents' lifestyle, food or control issues.

I am 100% alright with individuals’ choices regarding their children’s diets. They’re just not a right fit for my program if there's not a medical reason behind a restricted diet.
Tags:doctor's note, food issues
Reply Up