Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Having a CPR Certification Card and Has Never Had a Class On It
Unregistered 07:35 PM 11-11-2010
I work at a daycare here in mississippi, Columbus, as a matter of fact, and I have bee there for 2 yrs. well recently we had an EMT RESPONDER come there to "certify" us for CPR. well an hr later we have not had no kind of training of how to give CPR but a wk later we have a card? ok well it says I am certified but I have no idea on how to do CPR. another thing, there is a room that, when it rains for a very long time, the floor gets wet. There is an opening at the bottom of the wall bout 1 to 1 1/2 inches where the wall didnt meet up with other wall when they added it on. i promised that floor stayed wet for about 2 months and it was in the middle of summer. it was so musty in there and smelt mildewy. I am just wonder if there is a possibility that there could be what they call BLACK MOLD in there? and I can tell you that every baby that has been in that room or the room it connects too, has had from broncitis to rsv to pneumonia and have all had to have breathing treatments. I would just like to find out where or who I could report this to for the sake of these kids. thanks for your time
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 11-12-2010
Call your state licensor... http://www.mdhs.state.ms.us/fcs_lic.html
momofsix 09:49 AM 11-12-2010
Wow, that's awful Please report this RIGHT AWAY, and thank you for caring enough to stand up for what's right!
Daycare Dad 08:35 AM 11-22-2010
Wow that is kind of scary! Ya definitely report this. This is not good at all. I know in my area they have free CPR classes at the hospital once a month or so. Look into this. It was an hour I think. Small time commitment for what it may do in the future.
Unregistered 10:35 AM 11-23-2010
I'm a cpr and first aid instructor and there is no way in the world I would ever certify someone without watching them demonstrate the skills. Not cool. I would report the place that certified you because that's wreckless.
Abigail 11:36 PM 11-28-2010
I too am CPR and First Aid certified. I don't remember much from the class and actually look forward to this summer when I need to renew one of them. I have the packets so I can sit down sometime and read them again, but I sure learn much better hands one! I do think that if I needed to perform CPR on a young child I would do a fine job, I just don't remember all the details to the infant because I know it depends on their size. If you're not comfortable with what little knowledge you have, I would recommend reading up on it. If you didn't pay for the class you received, maybe you should enroll in a class to make up for it.
QualiTcare 06:12 PM 11-30-2010
i'm not sure about all the legalities, but i think if you're trained in CPR then you're obligated to perform it on the job if the need arises. if you're not comfortable doing it (which obviously u aren't) then you should really take another class - free of charge by someone with morals.
Unregistered 12:42 PM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i'm not sure about all the legalities, but i think if you're trained in CPR then you're obligated to perform it on the job if the need arises. if you're not comfortable doing it (which obviously u aren't) then you should really take another class - free of charge by someone with morals.
I'm an instructor for the classes and I have never certified a person who couldn't show me that they were able to do the skills. I need to see it and if I feel like a person doesn't know what they are doing, I won't certify the person. I've spent extra time with a few people who needed extra help. I don't want my name attached to a person who is technically certified but doesn't know what to do.

Good Samaritan laws may vary from state to state, but in the state that I live in, the laws protect you as long as you are acting in good faith, only providing services that are in the scope of what is taught in the class, as long as you get consent to provide care (unless it's a child or consent is implied) and as long as you don't leave the person who is being aided until additional help shows up to take over for you.
Tags:cpr certified
Reply Up