Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Term effective immediately, by parent. Need advise
daycare 08:28 AM 06-04-2013
I have a dcm that sent me a letter on Monday saying that they are terminating care effective immediately. It is for a very silly reason, but I won't get into that. I have not responded to the parents letter that they sent, as I was out of the state on a vacation and this is the first day back to be able to respond.

In all my 10 years I have never had this happen before. So I am not too sure how to handle this situation.

The DCP is not looking for a refund, and stated they wanted an ending balance that was still owed. Which is not the problem, yet I doubt they will pay it. Payments have been an issue in the past.

Since the DCP said that they are terming, yet have still paid up into the next two weeks, are they still allowed to attend? Do I mention that they can? Should I let them? I have a feeling that the DCP will just show up and drop off and then say, well we paid for it already.

I have not filled their spots and don't mind if they were to come, I just
am not too sure what to do moving forward.

I think I am just still in a state of shock from the email that I can't think very clearly...

One last thing. The DCK and my own child will attend school together in the fall, so I am trying to make sure that I am able to resolve this that when school starts there will not be any tension for us or our children.
Heidi 08:44 AM 06-04-2013
answer:

"ok, no problem. Will dck be attending during this time? You've already paid for it, and since I don't offer refunds, we'd love to spend time with him and give him a goodbye party".
Blackcat31 08:47 AM 06-04-2013
Dear DCF

I am sorry to hear you are terminating care effective immediately.

According to my contract, you will still be responsible for $xx.xx to cover the notice period.

This money is due regardless of the fact that you are terminating care immediately or not.

If you are needing care for the remaining time that you have paid for, I will need to know NO LATER than Wednesday at 5:00. If I do not hear from you by that time, I will go ahead and fill your vacated space and services to you will no longer be available.

Thank you
Provider

I have to say though, that I personally would not fill their spaces until their money is gone...kwim? If they paid through the end of June, I would leave their space empty until then just in case they do decide to use it (provided they schedule according to your policies). I can see this being a situation that isn't so bad but has the potential to be bad if you simply deny them access to a space they already paid for.

I suggest sending them an e-mail like the one above and getting written confirmation of whether they want to be done all together and not use any additional services even thought they paid or if they plan to use some or all of it.
momofboys 08:52 AM 06-04-2013
I agree with above posters. Regarding your child & DCK being in school together don't sweat it. I had a parent who was mad at me after I termed them last summer & our kids were in PK together this year. Yes, I'd see the parents from time to time & we are not best buddies or even exchange pleasantries but it is okay & our kids still played with each other at school. It was a business deal & doesn't have anything to do with the kids. If this parent is rude to you at school just shake it off & be the bigger person. Sorry for the immediate term.
cheerfuldom 08:54 AM 06-04-2013
like BC said, give them a deadline to tell you if they want to use that last remaining time or not. either way, it needs to be paid for.
Willow 08:56 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a dcm that sent me a letter on Monday saying that they are terminating care effective immediately. It is for a very silly reason, but I won't get into that. I have not responded to the parents letter that they sent, as I was out of the state on a vacation and this is the first day back to be able to respond.

In all my 10 years I have never had this happen before. So I am not too sure how to handle this situation.

The DCP is not looking for a refund, and stated they wanted an ending balance that was still owed. Which is not the problem, yet I doubt they will pay it. Payments have been an issue in the past.

Since the DCP said that they are terming, yet have still paid up into the next two weeks, are they still allowed to attend? Do I mention that they can? Should I let them? I have a feeling that the DCP will just show up and drop off and then say, well we paid for it already.

I have not filled their spots and don't mind if they were to come, I just
am not too sure what to do moving forward.

I think I am just still in a state of shock from the email that I can't think very clearly...

One last thing. The DCK and my own child will attend school together in the fall, so I am trying to make sure that I am able to resolve this that when school starts there will not be any tension for us or our children.

If they are terming effective immediately then why do you believe they'll come back? I would take that to read they are done and will not be returning except maybe to collect their things if they left anything.

What does your contract say about terminations? Do they have to give notice and for how much time? Is it the standard two week notice? If so they're good and so are you, no one would owe anyone anything.

Send them their final invoice stating you acknowledge their request to term care effective immediately. Keep it short and simple:

This letter is to acknowledge your notice to terminate care effective immediately I received on 6/3/13. As per our contract I require a two week notice, you are paid through to then already so we are all squared away.

Please contact me for a date and time to retrieve child's remaining belongings.

Thank you!
(daycare)

daycare 08:59 AM 06-04-2013
I love this form......... I am glad that I asked. thank you all for your replies....I will keep you posted...
Springdaze 09:05 AM 06-04-2013
Im with Willow. If she said immediately, that's it!
wahmof3 09:22 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
If they are terming effective immediately then why do you believe they'll come back? I would take that to read they are done and will not be returning except maybe to collect their things if they left anything.

What does your contract say about terminations? Do they have to give notice and for how much time? Is it the standard two week notice? If so they're good and so are you, no one would owe anyone anything.

Send them their final invoice stating you acknowledge their request to term care effective immediately. Keep it short and simple:

This letter is to acknowledge your notice to terminate care effective immediately I received on 6/3/13. As per our contract I require a two week notice, you are paid through to then already so we are all squared away.

Thank you!
(daycare)
Perfect
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 06-04-2013
I still don't think it is right for the provider to not allow the parent to use space they paid for. Even if the notice said immediately, I would still ask for the parent to clarify or confirm that they will not be using the remaining space they paid for.
daycare 09:28 AM 06-04-2013

Thank you!
(daycare)
they do have to give a 30 day notice. However, this family was only a temp family from day one. Their end date in June 28.
daycare 09:30 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I still don't think it is right for the provider to not allow the parent to use space they paid for. Even if the notice said immediately, I would still ask for the parent to clarify or confirm that they will not be using the remaining space they paid for.
I am on this page with BC.... I know that they are over reacting and that I should still allow them to use the services that they have already paid for.

They will have to make one more payment in order to finish out their contract.
youretooloud 10:27 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
answer:

"ok, no problem. Will dck be attending during this time? You've already paid for it, and since I don't offer refunds, we'd love to spend time with him and give him a goodbye party".
That is what I would do also.
AmyKidsCo 12:03 PM 06-04-2013

Thank you!
(daycare)

ITA - if they said "effective immediately" I wouldn't expect them to come back. If they'd wanted to come back they should've said "effective as of (date)" or "(date) will be our last day" but to me "immediately" means right now.

Personally I wouldn't accept the children for care any more, but I wouldn't charge them for the last week either.
daycare 01:06 PM 06-04-2013
update....

I sent the letter via email similar to what BC said. I kept it short, sweet, simple and professional.

NOw DCM is saying sorry, I over reacted, I have alot going on in my life right now and I have been very emotional. OF course she is asking to come back to finish out their contract.

Of course I will take them back, they paid for it. BUT I am SICK of the excuses with this family. UGH.......now I am just spinning my thumbs.....
Reply Up