Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bottle V Cup?
lflick 06:39 PM 06-11-2013
OK so I have this 20 month old... mom is insistent she brings a bottle for him... he is perfectly capable of using a sippy... I don't give bottles to those over 12 months... mom says every child is different.... PLEASE tell me what you do?
MyAngels 07:09 PM 06-11-2013
At 20 months they would not be getting a bottle here. If she wants him to have a bottle she can give it at home.
Cradle2crayons 07:16 PM 06-11-2013
Same here. No bottles here at that age. She can do whatever she wants there, but here the child would get a cup. No exceptions.
Leigh 08:07 PM 06-11-2013
I figure it's not up to me whether the child has a bottle or cup. My doctor recommends taking the bottle by 15 months. I let parents know at 12 months that it's time to start transitioning. If they choose not to, I think they're making the wrong choice, but it doesn't bother me to have their kids drink from bottles. That said, I'd TRY to have the kid use only a sippy cup at my house (they start sippy cups much younger than that here, anyway). A kid that insists on bottles would be allowed to have one until Mom is ready to grow up and be a parent and take away the bottle. That said, I am NOT going to allow their kid to drag that bottle all over my house. They use it only in the kitchen, in their high chairs. After 12 months, I no longer hold kids while they have their bottles. They sit in a high chair to have it.

I wean off the bottle by removing one bottle per day until I am down to just the one morning bottle...I take that one away last-it seems the most important to me (I don't know why).
Lyss 08:07 PM 06-11-2013
No bottles after 12 months, no sippy after 15-18 (depending on child) here. No exception or compromise.

Any bottles or sippys that come through the door after that get dumped, occasionally in front of DCP
blandino 08:14 PM 06-11-2013
I know I am going to differ from a lot of opinions, and lord knows there are a lot of things I am strict on, but...

I would give him the bottle in place of a cup. I wouldn't give him bottles in-between meal times, but if she wants him to drink out of a bottle - I would give it to him at the table and let him drink from it.
JoseyJo 08:22 PM 06-11-2013
I allow them to bring them in - but no food or drinks anywhere other than the table, and no eating or drinking while playing (so no bottle at the table w/ a toy or book). They can go to the table w/ their bottle and drink it until they are ready to go play, then I rinse it out and put it away for p/u.

We take 18 months and up and I haven't ever had a child insist on a bottle w/ meals, I have had them ask for their bottle and I just say "we drink out of cups at meals".

We start w/ sippys for milk and open cups for water and transition to all open cups when they are proficient w/ the water cup.

If the parent wants to keep bringing in the bottle that is fine w/ me, and if the dcb/g wants to sit at the table in the morning and drink it that is fine too. They get tired of it soon enough as it is more fun to go play than to sit and drink
youretooloud 08:39 PM 06-11-2013
I don't care one way or the other. But, they will not walk around with a bottle, so they must either sit in a baby chair, or in a crib, or at the table.

I'm also not sitting down with a toddler to hold him or her while they finish a bottle.

I have one drop in guy that is over two, takes a bottle, and for months, mom assumed I was rocking and snuggling him while I held his bottle for him. She was honestly stunned when I said "I put it at the table with his lunch, and he drinks it while he eats". She didn't even know he could hold it himself.
littlemissmuffet 08:45 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
OK so I have this 20 month old... mom is insistent she brings a bottle for him... he is perfectly capable of using a sippy... I don't give bottles to those over 12 months... mom says every child is different.... PLEASE tell me what you do?
Mom would be looking for another daycare - I refuse to give a child a bottle after 12 months. Parents don't get a say in how I do things here. Nothing comes into my home from the children's homes!
daycarediva 04:24 AM 06-12-2013
Nothing comes from home here....

No bottles ever in my care, they youngest kid I have taken after my NO INFANTS rule several years ago is 18m, and he still gets a bottle in his crib at nap and bedtime at home (cringe), but can use a sippy cup and is transitioning to an open cup here.
Reply Up