Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accident at Daycare Today :(
Unregistered 12:24 PM 04-28-2015
I feel sick. I have never had a major accident in nearly 10 years of daycare. Today a DCB of 3 years jumped off a couch cushion head first into the cubbies. Got a huge gash on his forehead. I was able to get the bleeding stopped and apply butterfly bandaids before the parents arrived to take him to the ER. They had to sedate him and put several stitches in. He may need plastic surgery later. I am not sure if they did a CT scan as well. As soon as I calm down and get the rest of the children back in order, I make a call into my insurance. Somehow the daycare policy was never added to our renters policy after we switched carriers. I thought it had been as we stayed with state farm, just switched agents, but it wasn't. I am just so sick about this right now. I don't even know what to do or how much this is going to cost me
Thriftylady 12:34 PM 04-28-2015
Hopefully the parents will realize that kids will be kids and their medical insurance will cover it. No matter how careful we are, we can't predict a child's every move.
LovetheSun 12:41 PM 04-28-2015
SO so sorry for you. When accidents like that happen you might feel like quitting but it accidents happen no matter how careful we can be. Hope for the best!

I sure hope the parents will be very understanding and that their medical insurance will cover it.
earlystart 12:44 PM 04-28-2015
I would offer the parents your sincerest apologies and offer to pay for all of their co-pays and any elective plastic surgery that isn't covered. I would also create a plan of action to prevent such accidents in the future and write it out and show the parents. Make sure you report it to licensing within 24 hours too. I would write out an "accident report" with as much detail of your account of things while it is fresh in your mind. Also I would credit their tuition for any days missed due to doctor's appointments.

edited to add: I would plan for licensing to come visit to investigate the incident and take your account of the incident in person. So make sure everything is up-to-date and there are no other deficiencies for when they come to visit. When I worked at a preschool center, a child jumped up a few inches off the ground, and fell when landing, hitting his head on a cement curb and splitting open his forehead to the bone (not much skin covering up your forehead when you think about it). The boy needed stitches and had a scar, but was otherwise ok. It was quite traumatising for me though, I couldn't sleep that night and had nightmares about seeing that gash on his forehead, it still gives me the chills thinking about it. But licensing came a day or two later to ask me about it, and I didn't get in trouble or anything, because there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. I'm not sure what the case will be for you, it would be one thing if the child was just walking along the floor and tripped, or spontaneously jumped into the cubby, but since he climbed on the couch first (did you tell the parents this part yet?), you may be held liable for negligent supervision if they decide to sue you.
nannyde 01:13 PM 04-28-2015
Do NOT offer to pay for ANYTHING. Please please don't do that

You can always offer afterwards but just wait and what happens.

By offering to pay anything it can be seen as an admission of responsibility.

The parents will most likely not be the ones deciding your responsibility unless they sue for damages. Their insurer will decide.

Just lay low. I have seen parents get very expensive treatment done they would not do if they have to cover the expenses.
nannyde 01:23 PM 04-28-2015
Not to add insult to injury here so PLEASE this is not directed to you...

This is exactly why I don't allow children on any adult sized furniture and the kid sized furniture I use is ONLY by INVITE.

The kids play off the floor all day every day. I can't afford the injuries from any fall zone.

I change diapers on the floor. I require them to crawl up and down the stairs and teach them to safely crawl backwards down them. Every kid is spotted on every step and they are.

All it takes is one day and everything I worked for is gone.

These kids are not our kids and they aren't at home. Medical expenses are SO outrageous now that even simple things are out of the reach of my pocketbook.

It sucks but I can't take the chance.
NightOwl 02:21 PM 04-28-2015
Agree with nannyde, do NOT offer to pay for anything. That implies guilt or that you did something wrong. Accidents happen. You didn't put the child on the couch, he climbed up there. I can't tell you how many times per day I run kids off my couch. It was an accident and you shouldn't accept any blame for it. You weren't negligent. If a child climbing onto your couch makes you negligent, then we'd all be shut down by now.
daycarediva 02:50 PM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Not to add insult to injury here so PLEASE this is not directed to you...

This is exactly why I don't allow children on any adult sized furniture and the kid sized furniture I use is ONLY by INVITE.

The kids play off the floor all day every day. I can't afford the injuries from any fall zone.

I change diapers on the floor. I require them to crawl up and down the stairs and teach them to safely crawl backwards down them. Every kid is spotted on every step and they are.

All it takes is one day and everything I worked for is gone.

These kids are not our kids and they aren't at home. Medical expenses are SO outrageous now that even simple things are out of the reach of my pocketbook.

It sucks but I can't take the chance.
Agreed, the kids are not allowed on any adult furniture. Even the kids table isn't a right, if they cant stay seated on their bottom, they stand.

Do NOT offer to pay for ANYTHING. It's an admission of responsibility.

Call licensing, fill out the appropriate paperwork and get your ducks in a row for a licensing visit. If at all possible, move the furniture out of the rooms they have access to, or turn it around so it faces a wall and is not accessible to children during daycare hours.
kendallina 05:20 PM 04-28-2015
Yes, please don't offer to pay for anything. Hopefully, parents will see this for what it is, an accident that could have happened in their care as well. Offer your sincerest apology, contact licensing, prep for visit, plan to make changes for safey, etc. Stay in touch with parents about this and let them see how sorry you feel about this.

It will be okay.
NightOwl 09:45 AM 04-29-2015
Any updates on the little guy?
Martha Stewart 10:17 AM 04-29-2015
Several years ago I had a little boy run into a stationary swing and he required stitches. The dad picked him up, took him to the doctor, got a couple stitches and that was it. That was the end of the story. Accidents can, and do happen.

Please don't go offering to pay for anything.
originalkat 10:53 AM 04-29-2015
I had a little girl who was running outside and tripped, breaking her arm. I did not offer to pay for anything. It was a accident. The parents did not expect me to either. Several months later their insurance company requested my insurance info. I gave it to them and my insurance company did an investigation on the incident. They did not find me at fault, and they still paid for everything because that insurance had a "no fault automatic pay-out". If i would not have had insurance, I ASSUME the health insurance would have just covered it. But of course they need to see if there is another insurance available so they can avoid paying if possible. So you may be okay. DO NOT OFFER TO PAY! Just wait and see what happens. If you offer to do that it could cost you THOUSANDS of dollars.
Daycare Insurance 04:29 PM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I feel sick. I have never had a major accident in nearly 10 years of daycare. Today a DCB of 3 years jumped off a couch cushion head first into the cubbies. Got a huge gash on his forehead. I was able to get the bleeding stopped and apply butterfly bandaids before the parents arrived to take him to the ER. They had to sedate him and put several stitches in. He may need plastic surgery later. I am not sure if they did a CT scan as well. As soon as I calm down and get the rest of the children back in order, I make a call into my insurance. Somehow the daycare policy was never added to our renters policy after we switched carriers. I thought it had been as we stayed with state farm, just switched agents, but it wasn't. I am just so sick about this right now. I don't even know what to do or how much this is going to cost me
Do you currently have child care insurance? If you do then check with your company to see if you have an liability or accident medical policy. If you do, talk with them about how you should handle the next steps.

If you don't have insurance, I would agree not to offer to pay for anything at this point. Wait and see what happens. Like one of the other posters mentioned. Kids will be kids and accidents do happen. These parents may be understanding and recognize that. The best thing you can do at this point is have the incident documented the best you can, and follow up with the parents to see how the child is doing.
melilley 10:57 AM 05-01-2015
I agree, don't offer to pay anything.
I had a child hit his head on my entertainment center once. He ended up having to go to the emergency room and get stitches, I thought for sure there would be a scar, but 2 years later, no scar. Mom never asked for a dime, her insurance more than likely covered it.
Unregistered 11:02 AM 05-01-2015
My daughter broke her leg at daycare on a slide. The thought never crossed my mind to ask them to pay for it. Kids are kids. 2 of my own 3 have fallen and gotten stitches in their chins. IT HAPPENS.

Do not offer to pay, and don't beat yourself up. Also listen to everyone else about calling licensing ASAP and doing your report so it's fresh in your mind. Write your story down on your own ASAP so it's fresh.
Tags:accident
Reply Up