Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yogurt For Lunch......
Mom2TLE 11:06 AM 05-21-2015
Am I wrong?
Yesterday I gave the kids yogurt, rolls, banana, carrots, milk. I left at 1:05 for a play at my dd school. Dcm picks up at 1:20 I had my assistant here, she told mom what he ate. She left went to her car came back to change dcb because he had pooped. I changed him on my way out the door at 1:00.
Today DCM came in asking why he didn't have any "real food" with his lunch, does my assistant not know they need "real food" I told her I was the one that gave him "snacks" in her words for lunch and that I had never had a complaint before. She then said dcb bum is red does assistant not know to use Vaseline with diaper changes. I told her I did the change and I used his medicine that she sent since he was already a little red. I am annoyed the lunch contained enough protein and calories to be considered a meal. and second if she is going to question my assistant then she can find alt. care for the days she is here and for my maternity leave in Sept. Am I wrong for serving yogurt as a protein? and for being annoyed?
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
Am I wrong?
Yesterday I gave the kids yogurt, rolls, banana, carrots, milk. I left at 1:05 for a play at my dd school. Dcm picks up at 1:20 I had my assistant here, she told mom what he ate. She left went to her car came back to change dcb because he had pooped. I changed him on my way out the door at 1:00.
Today DCM came in asking why he didn't have any "real food" with his lunch, does my assistant not know they need "real food" I told her I was the one that gave him "snacks" in her words for lunch and that I had never had a complaint before. She then said dcb bum is red does assistant not know to use Vaseline with diaper changes. I told her I did the change and I used his medicine that she sent since he was already a little red. I am annoyed the lunch contained enough protein and calories to be considered a meal. and second if she is going to question my assistant then she can find alt. care for the days she is here and for my maternity leave in Sept. Am I wrong for serving yogurt as a protein? and for being annoyed?
Are you on the food program? If so, just provide the mom with the meal patterns. It clearly says yogurt is credible as a protein. If she isn't happy about it, tell her to take it up with the USDA.

Your meal was perfectly credible.

As for the diaper changing/Vasoline comment, I'd tell her exactly what you said.... if she is unhappy with your substitute you will let her know dates and times you will be using the sub and DCM can find alternate care for those times. Not discounted of course.
Dia 11:19 AM 05-21-2015
Honestly, when I give the children yogurt with their lunch it is usually an extra item. I just don't feel like yogurt is very filling....

But as far as the food program goes it is perfectly acceptable to serve yogurt as the protein. If the children ate all of the other food also they should be full.

Besides, if he pooped directly after lunch then he obviously ate plenty

Plus, lately all my dck just throw away all their meat, if I gave them yogurt instead maybe they would actually get some protein in their little bodies
Thriftylady 11:46 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Dia:

Plus, lately all my dck just throw away all their meat, if I gave them yogurt instead maybe they would actually get some protein in their little bodies
To the OP, your lunch was fine in my book. We have to get some variety in there some way or we would be serving them the same thing all the time. As far as "snacks" for lunch, maybe she sees it as snack foods I don't know but it was healthy anyway.

To the quote, I know what you mean. Have you tried eggs?
NightOwl 11:50 AM 05-21-2015
I do it occasionally. Even our elementary school does it. They serve yogurt, string cheese (an extra protein, but not necessary), raisins, baby carrots, club crackers, milk. It's one of the kids' fav lunches.
Mom2TLE 11:55 AM 05-21-2015
I used to offer it as an extra as well but when I serve this everyone eats everything on their plate and seconds of everything. As an extra, food was left and thrown in the garbage. No one goes hungry and I myself would eat it as a lunch.
I will give her a copy of the food program requirements and will give her a heads up for when my assistant will be here. Sadly for her I am pregnant and have 3 other kids so it is usually 1-2 times a week, even if it's just a few hours. She's here 4 more weeks then off for 8 then back a week before I have my baby, maybe I should just let her know she should find someone else for the 2 months of my maternity leave, ......or forever. I'm down to 7 months and I will be closing so I would be fine if she left, she drives me crazy!!!!
I just started to question myself for a minute, like maybe I should be offering additional food, even though my own kids eat a yogurt, grain and fruit for lunch all the time.
Rockgirl 12:08 PM 05-21-2015
I serve it for lunch too sometimes. Perfectly fine.
Controlled Chaos 12:24 PM 05-21-2015
We have a lot of yogurt parfait for breakfast, so I haven't served it for lunch. But I do serve PB and cheese as my protein at least once a week. Bean as my protein at least once a week. I would spin it "Breakfast for lunch is so fun for the kids, they love it!" We do scrambled eggs for lunch at least once a week. I only offer meat 1-2 times a week. We are mostly vegetarian.
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
I do it occasionally. Even our elementary school does it. They serve yogurt, string cheese (an extra protein, but not necessary), raisins, baby carrots, club crackers, milk. It's one of the kids' fav lunches.
On days I am SUPER busy or have to close early or leave a sub in care, I always do a "finger food" or "snack for lunch" type meal. It's a favorite here too!
ColorfulSunburst 12:26 PM 05-21-2015
As a mother I will not happy with yogurt's protein. It also contains a lot of sugar plus you provide banana at the same time - very sweet fruit.
By numbers of calories and protein it can be OK, but it is not lunch for me.
But it's for me.
cheerfuldom 02:17 PM 05-21-2015
IMO Parents cannot nitpick about a programs meal plan when they already signed on knowing you would be following the USDA guide. If you have meal plans ahead of time, I would give her a copy and she can send an alternate lunch for any days that she doesn't feel are suitable for the little prince 9 times out of 10, this will quiet a parent. They feel like they are parenting by nitpicking what you are doing.....they won't actually make a different meal or even look at the meal plan. If she wants to send a sack lunch, fine. I would document what she sends and be ready to point out what discrepancies are in her lunches, if she wants to talk about it again
NightOwl 02:49 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On days I am SUPER busy or have to close early or leave a sub in care, I always do a "finger food" or "snack for lunch" type meal. It's a favorite here too!
Or a lunchable type lunch! Club crackers, slices of turkey and cheddar, cucumber slices, baby carrots, and call it done. I like this one especially during summer because I don't need to use the oven.
mduck 10:20 PM 05-21-2015
My kids LOVE the homemade lunchables meals I make. I put bits of this and that all over the plate and sometimes they will put this onto of that and stack stuff. It's a fun meal and it tends to be healthier than my other meals actually. And yes, it's really cool not to have to fire up the oven!

So glad to find out that yogurt is a protein. I didn't know that.
Rockgirl 04:45 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Or a lunchable type lunch! Club crackers, slices of turkey and cheddar, cucumber slices, baby carrots, and call it done. I like this one especially during summer because I don't need to use the oven.
They love that type of lunch here, too! I add pickles often--they are a favorite with my group.
Unregistered 02:53 PM 05-25-2015
This is like a yummy picnic lunch! I've never served yogurt as the protein only. I've done cheese/crackers and yogurt as well as other things like cukes and dip, and watermelon or blueberries. I love our picnic lunches and so do the kids!

Your lunch was fine!!!! Yes mom can take it up with the USDA!
Reply Up