Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had The Scare Of A Lifetime Today!
beachgrl 05:30 PM 01-11-2012
Had one of my dck tumble off my couch today and even though I was right there..didnt catch dcg before she went over onto her head. Thank goodness she is fine and she was back to her normal self in a few min but not before my nerves got shot and i ended up talking to 911 and the ER to check on her. She did this eyes rooling back in her head thing to start w which scared the beejezus outta me but the whole time I remained pretty calm even though I was freaking out inside...made sure she was somewhat responsive even while doing that and even wondered if she was having a seizure but she stopped and started crying, then went to ok but quiet and then back to palying and babbling and being her normal self.

Then had to call dcm and tell her all that had happened, im just so thankful she is ok and that she didnt really hurt herself, its amazing how fast things happen even when they are right in front of you! Such a stressful crazy day and never want to experience that feeling again, with my own children..let alone someone elses!

Anyone else had something traumatic like that happen with your dck? The nurse said kids do react that way some bc of scaring themsleves so much when they fall or just due to the shock of the fall but wow, I was just glad she was fine...
sharlan 06:38 PM 01-11-2012
Scarey thing to have happen. I am glad the little one is ok.

Yes, I've had a few scarey things happen over the years. Thankfully, I rarely panic, which keeps the kids calmer, too.
beachgrl 06:48 PM 01-11-2012
Yah I am pretty good about not panicking on the outside and am usually the calmest one with things like that but my body like turned to much inside and I am sure my blood pressure/nerves were through the roof for a while afterward..I think I handled it well but still just plain nerve wracking.

I have worked with kids for 20 years and never has anyone of them or my own scared me that bad! So glad she is okay and that she just freaked herself out along with me, yikes!
greenhouse 06:49 PM 01-11-2012
Yes, dcb thinks he can fly. Fell off the sofa yesterday- he was fine. But once he stood up in the wagon and hit the pavement head first. That was very scary. Just a bruise though. I'm vigilant about watching them, but it happens so quick and you can be standing right next to them and they still manage to injure themselves. A child getting seriously injured on my watch is my worst nightmare.
beachgrl 08:24 PM 01-11-2012
They sure can, she doesn't even have a mark or lump or anything...i think it really scared her and she reacted to that and having hit her head and freaked me out in the process...having something happen is my worst nightmare too greenhouse!

I want all my kiddos, happy as much as humanly possible and as safe as can be!
beachgrl 08:26 PM 01-11-2012
I guess I will prolly still stress a lil bit for the next couple days since the nurse said for the parents to keep an eye on her at night and wake her up to check her responsiveness and all but judging from how she was acting 30 min later..she was her normal self so I know I am just worrying but I know someone up above was watching out for her today!
Breezy 08:48 PM 01-11-2012
My DS fell off the futon onto tile floor once and it scared the crap out of me and then he went to sleep right away because it was naptime anyhow and I couldn't wake him right away when I tried!!! My heart started pounding and I was about to call 911 and then he woke up smiling at me and was his normal self after that.
beachgrl 08:15 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
My DS fell off the futon onto tile floor once and it scared the crap out of me and then he went to sleep right away because it was naptime anyhow and I couldn't wake him right away when I tried!!! My heart started pounding and I was about to call 911 and then he woke up smiling at me and was his normal self after that.
How scary, I know kids are resilient and made to withstand some crazy things they do but what happened her was so over the top and out of the norm for what I have seen in 20 years it really freaked me out..she was her normals babbly silly self in the background by the time I was talking to the ER staff via phone lol
permanentvacation 10:16 AM 01-12-2012
I don't want you guys to take this like me telling you what to do, but, just as a suggestion...

You might want to not allow daycare children on adult furniture at all. They should have child sized tables and chairs, if you want, child sized sofas and coushiny chairs to sit on which would keep them at a lower level to prevent falls and injuries from falls.

Adult furniture is very dangerous for children. They push each other off sofas, roll off them, walk on them and accidently step off them which causes them to fall, etc. They fall off of adult chairs - such as dining room chairs all the time too.
Tags:injury, injury report
Reply Up