Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Enrollment
Unregistered 08:02 PM 10-10-2013
I have 1 opening for an a child 6 weeks to 5 years old currently. This is the first time in a year that I have had an infant opening because one of my dcks turned 1 last week. I have had no responses for older children but a flood of responses for infants! Most (all but 1!) of the emails are from moms that are still pregnant and don't need child care until February to June! How do you handle requests from families that are still pregnant? I don't have any "known" openings until August 2014.
Michael 08:16 PM 10-10-2013
Perhaps the others will chime in tomorrow. (please consider registering)

Suggest you get a holding spot fee. Here are some threads on the subject. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=holding+fee

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ing+spot+-+fee
TheGoodLife 08:18 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have 1 opening for an a child 6 weeks to 5 years old currently. This is the first time in a year that I have had an infant opening because one of my dcks turned 1 last week. I have had no responses for older children but a flood of responses for infants! Most (all but 1!) of the emails are from moms that are still pregnant and don't need child care until February to June! How do you handle requests from families that are still pregnant? I don't have any "known" openings until August 2014.
I get a lot of those calls as well. I've got burned by 2 people holding a spot (one family), so my contract now states I'll hold 2 weeks at no tuition, then tuition is due. Basically I tell families that I am not sure what openings I may have available then, and I can only hold a spot at no cost for up to 2 weeks, but they can contact me when it's closer to the time they need care to discuss it.
Patches 05:23 AM 10-11-2013
Here's my policy on holding a spot (got from this forum). After interviewing, if they decide they want the spot, they can put down a one week deposit and that will "hold their spot" as long as I have a spot open. IF another family comes along and wants to take that spot, I will call the first family and ask them if they want to give up their spot (I refund the deposit) OR if they want to keep the spot, they have to start paying for it at full price
Leigh 06:05 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
Here's my policy on holding a spot (got from this forum). After interviewing, if they decide they want the spot, they can put down a one week deposit and that will "hold their spot" as long as I have a spot open. IF another family comes along and wants to take that spot, I will call the first family and ask them if they want to give up their spot (I refund the deposit) OR if they want to keep the spot, they have to start paying for it at full price
This is what I do, except that I require a two week deposit. Luckily, my next infant comes right when my own no longer has to be counted in my numbers, so I didn't ask for a deposit (it is a current DCM who is expecting-and she has perfect timing!). I get at least 3 calls a week asking for newborn care-there just aren't enough daycares here to take them all. After this one, I am increasing my infant rate substantially. I don't like caring for newborns-I love the babies, but I hate that it takes so much time away from the other kids, so my rate for birth to 12 months will go up about 50% (Currently $125-I am raising it to $185).
jenn 08:17 AM 10-11-2013
Typically, I will not hold for longer than 6 weeks. I require a 2 week non refundable deposit in order to hold the spot.
Last year, I had one that needed a position held for 14 weeks. At first, I thought no way! I met with the family and just knew that they would be a great fit. I was very honest with them about why I don't like holding a position open (mainly financial). The agreement we came up with was that they would pay the 2 week deposit that everyone pays and then we made a separate contract. They paid half tuition ($75 non refundable) each week for me to hold the position until the baby started, which ended up being 12 weeks. The first 12 weeks that their child attended, they continued to pay half ($75). After that they went to full pay each week.
I know that in the long run (if I had found a family to start right away) that it cost me money, but it was worth it to find the right family, and filling positions is not always easy around here. It worked for me, because all money exchanged was nonrefundable and helped me financially from week to week.
cheerfuldom 09:41 AM 10-11-2013
I personally would not even waste my time interviewing for families that dont need care until Feb. I do hold for up to 6 weeks and have never been burned by that. If I have an opening, I want to fill it immediately. I ask that people needing care in the future keep my info and contact me closer to a start date OR you can get their info and contact them 6 weeks out from their start date if you have a spot and if they are still looking.

but keep in mind, I dont take more than four kids at a time. If I had to fill 10 or 12 spots, you bet I would be willing to interview and get a wait list going and whatnot.
Tags:holding fee, holding spot - fee
Reply Up