Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5 Year Old Sippy Cup-Vent
New Lady! 12:46 PM 02-12-2018
I have a 5 year old boy whose not in school yet that comes with a sippy cup every day! I think he's way too old to be attached to a sippy all day! (He uses a normal cup in my home) He also drags a yucky blanket back and forth and wipes his nose on it all the time. 😷 Anyway, I hate the cup. His parents expect me to keep it in my fridge and give it to them at pick-up time so he has it for their 5 min. Trip home 😏 We just got over a month-worth of stomach bugs here and I shut my doors for a couple of days to bleach and sanitize everything thoroughly! I really don't want your germy cup sitting in my fridge all day.

This boy also still uses pacifiers at home and is placed in a highchair in front of the tv for meals!
mamamanda 12:56 PM 02-12-2018
I'd implement a policy saying no food or drink brought from home. I believe that's pretty common amongst providers. If they need something for the ride home they can bring it with them.
As for the blanket, I'd put it in his cubby & only allow it out at rest time. Had a similar situation a few years ago. Little girl was always sick & sucked on the blanket. I allowed her to take it to the calm down spot if she felt she needed it, but while playing it stayed in her cubby.
CityGarden 01:06 PM 02-12-2018
I do not refrigerate or heat up any items for dcks. They all bring lunches from home.

I have a specific water bottle I allow for park days and it stays here it does not go back and fourth.

That would also annoy me.
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 02-12-2018
I don't allow food or drink to be brought into care.
(allergies, sharing issues, ick period.)
I also do not allow blankets to be brought back and forth.
(bed bugs, lice, scabies, fleas etc...)
Unregistered 01:59 PM 02-12-2018
I like the idea of adding a no food or drink from home policy! I recently added the blanket/toy ban to my policy but after over a year of allowing it I don't think taking it away now will go over very well 😬 I've had differences on and off with this family so I'm sort of just counting the days until he goes to school! Do you think they'd get the hint if I just rinsed the cup and put it with his "take home" stuff right away?
Unregistered 02:00 PM 02-12-2018
Also, I do only allow the blankie at nap time so that helps but I still think it's yucky!
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I like the idea of adding a no food or drink from home policy! I recently added the blanket/toy ban to my policy but after over a year of allowing it I don't think taking it away now will go over very well 😬 I've had differences on and off with this family so I'm sort of just counting the days until he goes to school! Do you think they'd get the hint if I just rinsed the cup and put it with his "take home" stuff right away?
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Also, I do only allow the blankie at nap time so that helps but I still think it's yucky!
Could you tell them it's causing issues for the other kids (under 5 yrs old) as they don't understand?

I've even used the allergy reasoning for why food/drink can not come and go and if it's really important for the child to have his cup of milk on the way home from daycare, mom or dad can certainly bring it to work with them and store it at work in the break room fridge until it's the end of the day and then they can grab it and bring it with them for pick up....they allowed him to have the habit so they can manage it too...

As for the blanket, maybe just tell them you had a bad experience or know a provider that had issues with lice and bed bugs so you are now going to ban them being brought back and forth for EVERYONE. That way the family wont feel signaled out. Plus it's a good time to try and wean him from having o bring it back and forth since he more than likely wont have that option in Kindy...
HappyEverAfter 06:55 PM 02-12-2018
I don’t allow any food or beverages to come from home. If they like this cup so much for him, maybe they can buy one to leave at your house and have one for their house/car. I also don’t let kiddos walk around with beverages of any kind, sippy cup or bottle or anything. If they want a drink we go to the kitchen, sit down, and have the drink and the cup stays there. No carrying it around, ever.

As for the blanket, that just sounds disgusting. I also don’t allow these to come back and forth from home. Each child has a cubby and a favored blanket can be kept here for nap times only. No dragging it around all day. I wash them weekly but also more often if a child is sick or snotty.
Josiegirl 04:18 AM 02-13-2018
I have to say ick, just ick. Get the 1 blanket, keep it at your house and wash weekly. No go on the paci and cup from home. That's so sad the dcps aren't allowing this child to learn self-help and growing up skills. Not to mention eating in a high chair in front of the tv. So many things I'm being judgemental on. But it all feels so wrong to me.
LostMyMarbles 01:11 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't allow food or drink to be brought into care.
(allergies, sharing issues, ick period.)
I also do not allow blankets to be brought back and forth.
(bed bugs, lice, scabies, fleas etc...)
This...its very specific us our state licensing that all bedding is to be cleaned daily. Highly doubt snowflakes blanket is fresh out if the dryer each morning.
Papa 07:29 AM 02-14-2018
No I would not allow it. Have them put water in it and leave it in the car. Or say....well, drink it up and give it back to mom or dad, we have our own cups here. Or yes, just dump it and put it away to go home. Maybe fill with ONLY water if they still ask. Same with blanket. Just say we don’t need it here, we have our own we use, so leave it in his car seat
Tags:5 year old, enforcing policies - consistency, food from home, sippy cup
Reply Up