Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to work Maternity Leave When Baby is Born...
Angelwings36 05:41 AM 11-13-2012
So my husband and I just found out on Sunday that we will be expecting our second child in July 2013. Our first child is 8 years old and was born before I originally opened the daycare so this will be the first time for me juggling a new baby and the daycare at the same time.

I run a full daycare of 8 kids on any given day. I was thinking that I would close for one week for my school aged children and 4 weeks for all the other child after the baby is born. My husband is going to take a month off after me to help with the daycare and to give me extra time to get adjusted to everything.

The problem is I don’t think that I am going to be able to give families concrete dates of when I will be closed? I want to use the full 4 weeks (or 1 week for school aged children) from the point that I go into labor and not start it prior to that to give me time to bond with my baby prior to all the children coming back.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Thanks.
littlemissmuffet 05:49 AM 11-13-2012
I opted for an elective c-section so that I could give concrete dates. I realize this isn't the most ideal option, but it's what will work for me/my families. I am closing for only two weeks (I would lose families and way too much income if I closed for longer) and then my husband will be home for 6 or so months to help.

I know I have read on here a fair bit that most families are understanding (they all have their own children afterall) about giving an estimated date and then going from there. It's next to impossible to be able to pinpoint for certain when you will go into labor and give a ton of notice to parents... and if they can't understand that, then you probably don't want them coming back anyways.

I would simply tell the families "This is my estimated due date, so please plan to have back-up care around this timeframe for a period of 4 weeks (begins day of going into labor)."
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 11-13-2012
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I wish I had advice but I never did child care while pregnant so can't help but still wanted to say Congratulations!
MNMum 08:32 AM 11-13-2012
Congrats! We are expecting in July as well. I plan to work up to the point of delivery as well. I'm due July 10th. I think we will just wait and see. It's hard to plan for it! I hope to close for one week, so we can have the house to ourselves. I have someone who will cover for me for 6 weeks. I just found her and plan to get her on my license. I will have her work 2 mornings per week regularly, so I hope the transition is pretty easy. I haven't told my families yet, eek! Hope they all respond positively!
Little Love Bugs 09:52 AM 11-13-2012
When I was pregnant both times I just gave the parents my due dat and told them to be ready, both times parents where able to figure stuff out. I only took 2 weeks off after I had the baby
Country Kids 10:14 AM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I opted for an elective c-section so that I could give concrete dates. I realize this isn't the most ideal option, but it's what will work for me/my families. I am closing for only two weeks (I would lose families and way too much income if I closed for longer) and then my husband will be home for 6 or so months to help.

I know I have read on here a fair bit that most families are understanding (they all have their own children afterall) about giving an estimated date and then going from there. It's next to impossible to be able to pinpoint for certain when you will go into labor and give a ton of notice to parents... and if they can't understand that, then you probably don't want them coming back anyways.

I would simply tell the families "This is my estimated due date, so please plan to have back-up care around this timeframe for a period of 4 weeks (begins day of going into labor)."
I don't want to give you a horror story but even two weeks with having a c-section it was very hard to be up and around.

I had hubbys help and didn't even do childcare but ran into complications after my c-section and actually had to move in with my mom as I wasn't even allowed to lift baby.

A full 8 weeks before doctor would even think about me returning to work and then still light duty for a couple weeks.

Remember your body will be going through alot because of the c-section, please don't try and be a super woman. I thought I would bounce back pretty quick-oh my was I wrong.
SunshineMama 12:01 PM 11-13-2012
I agree with country. A C section is major surgery and your body will have a lot to recover from. I am planning an elective induction at 39 weeks in December. I told the parents ahead of time that I will be off for at least 6 weeks. Everyone has a back up option in place, and I don't anticipate issues. Good luck to you! Remember, your health and your baby need to always come first
cheerfuldom 12:06 PM 11-13-2012
A c section rule is generally 6 weeks not lifting anything heavier than your own baby. you also cant drive. i am sure caring for multiple children at 2 weeks post partum would be advised against but please speak to your doctor about your plans. The 6 week rule is for recoveries that go well....and not all do. Not trying to scare you but elective c section does have many risks and concerns of its own.
cheerfuldom 12:12 PM 11-13-2012
I have gone thru two pregnancies while doing daycare. For my second and third children, I worked up until I went into labor, took two weeks off, and then came back to work. I did have some help mostly from my assistants at the time. The second recovery was well but my child was extremely high needs, sickly, reflux, etc. and so that transition was quite a challenge. For my third, things went much smoother.

Right now I am 38 weeks with a fourth pregnancy. I am having some complications this go around and had to let some part timers go several weeks ago. They are with a backup provider for now. At 37 weeks, I could no longer handle the full timers either and officially closed the daycare. I will be induced on Thurs. if the baby doesnt come in the next couple days. the daycare will be reopened after Thanksgiving. I am doing the best i can to accommodate families but they all knew i was pregnant and that they were responsible for back up care at any time and for any length of time. I have learned over the years to put my family first and not try and time anything around what they need.....try to accommodate but i personally would not do anything like an elective c section for the sole reason of the daycare families. I understand the financial concern but for us, the bills and recovery time and potential risks far out weigh any benefits.
DCBlessings27 04:54 PM 11-13-2012
You don't think 2 weeks off after a c-section is enough when she'll have her husband's help? We've told most of my daycare parents that we're taking from Dec. 24th-Jan. 7th off. We're scheduled for my c-section Dec. 27, so we're planning on reopening only about a week and a half after the surgery. Dh is planning to run the daycare as much as he can without my help. I've had a c-section before, and I know that it does take awhile to recover. But, I hope my husband will be ok.
cheerfuldom 05:46 PM 11-13-2012
I would only plan on the c section with DHs help IF your DH is able to do everything from start to finish as if you weren't even there. He shouldnt be just "helping", he should be doing all of it, on routine, just as you would or as close as possible and without constant prodding and reminders.

If he is just an extra pair of hands, waiting for instructions and not taking initiative, I am not seeing that as very relaxing for recovery. If he cant handle the diapers, the feedings, the interactions with the parents...that is just not as helpful as you ladies will need post surgery.

Its up to you if you want to try this plan and feel that your DH is up for the challenge.
littlemissmuffet 06:04 PM 11-13-2012
Country, if there are any complications, I will simply have to close for longer. Right now, I have no reason to close for longer than the two week period as my husband is fully capable of operating the daycare on his own (he often does - he's my assistant) - I will be with baby... and not one person I know who had a c-section (many) has had help with baby while recovering, so I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Cheer, I won't be lifting anything heavier than baby, no worries. I won't be anywhere near the daycare (our private living area is upstairs, daycare on the main floor) for at least a month after baby arrives - hubby will handle the business side of things
My doctor is fully aware and supportive of our plan - she knows my hubby does just as much (oftentimes MORE) than I do around the house/for the business. I anticipate a great recovery - I have had several major surgeries in the past - I heal quickly!

Thanks for the advice, ladies.
Reply Up