Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WOW!! Really?? Whats Wrong With This World?
wahmof3 08:34 AM 08-01-2012
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...unishment.html
Breezy 08:45 AM 08-01-2012
Wow. Wow. Wow. How could someone think it was ok to punish children like that!!
SilverSabre25 08:49 AM 08-01-2012
I bet that since it's something she knew would hurt, it was something that was done to her.

NOT that it makes it okay, noooooo nononono. But at least it's an explanation...?

I don't even think I HAVE alum powder and I cook an awful lot. What's even used for?
wahmof3 08:53 AM 08-01-2012
I KNOW!!! I saw that and said what the heck is Alum powder?????

SMH terrible, just terrible.
Daycarelady1979 09:08 AM 08-01-2012
Oh snap! My sister runs a Type A daycare out of her home in Chillicothe. I'm going to see if she knows this person or has more info.
crunchymama 09:49 AM 08-01-2012
Those poor kids! And who knows how many other kids have been "punished" that way. Does anyone else find it disturbing when things like this happen.
SilverSabre25 10:52 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by crunchymama:
Those poor kids! And who knows how many other kids have been "punished" that way. Does anyone else find it disturbing when things like this happen.
I find it particularly disturbing when it happens in my own state...
itlw8 10:55 AM 08-01-2012
I remember making playdough that had alum in it when I was a kid. But I doubt it was bought just to make playdough.

NO - COOK PLAYDOUGH
1 c. white flour
1/2 c. salt
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. alum
Food coloring
1/2 c. water

Mix first 4 ingredients. Add food coloring to the water. Gradually add small amounts of water until mixture attains the consistency of bread dough. You may not use the entire 1/2 cup of water. You can make colors not commercially available, such as purple, by creatively mixing colors. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag. It lasts a long time. (If you can't find alum at the grocery store, it is available at the drug store.)

found it to make pickles alum was used to shrink cucumbers into pickles
Happy Hearts 01:41 PM 08-01-2012
I won't even read the link because I know I would get too upset. Even when there are shows on TV or on the news I change the channel... I just can't watch.
Truly Scrumptious 01:46 PM 08-01-2012
When we were kids, my mom would put alum powder on a sore inside our mouth and it would shrink it and help it heal.
DCBlessings27 01:47 PM 08-01-2012
I hate this kind of story. Even if the "fired" teacher was the one, parents should have been notified. IMO.

We had a daycare shut down here 2 years ago for using corporal punishments and making the kids eat sand, hot sauce, baking soda, and soap. It disgusted me that some of the parents there still said the lady was a good provider and wanted her to keep watching their children.
saved4always 02:08 PM 08-01-2012
That is terrible. I don't think making a child put anything in his/her mouth is an appropriate punishment. What would even make someone think of doing something like that?? Some people should just not be allowed near children. At least it sounds like from what the doctor on there said that the alum powder is not something really harmful to ingest that could have killed the child.
MyAngels 04:42 PM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't even think I HAVE alum powder and I cook an awful lot. What's even used for?
For some reason I think it's used for pickling things. My Mom always used to buy it in canning season.
SilverSabre25 05:08 PM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
For some reason I think it's used for pickling things. My Mom always used to buy it in canning season.
ahhhh, okay, yes I think you're right. That sounds familiar.
littlemissmuffet 08:06 PM 08-01-2012
According to Google... "Alum powder, often found in spices department of grocery stores, is often used for pickling, as additive to preserve crispness for cucumbers and other foods."
MsMe 06:58 AM 08-02-2012
I didn't read the artical, but I keep my Alum in the bathroom.

We use it when we get a canker sore. Wet your finger, dip it in, apply to sore. We leave it on as long as we can stand (5-10min) and then rinse.
crazydaycarelady 07:33 AM 08-02-2012
[QUOT What would even make someone think of doing something like that?? E][/quote]

That's what I was wondering? Is she just sitting around thinking of unusual ways to punish a kid, and also did she not think a kid would tell their parents?

I once had a dcfamily that would put hot sauce on the kids tongues if they said bad words. I guess it is similar to making kids eat soap. Still I think that is not something a provider should be doing.
AmyLeigh 08:13 AM 08-02-2012
Guess dh is going to have to stop making jokes about giving alum to the little chatterboxes. I didn't know that people still did that, smh.
Tags:article, child abuse, punishment
Reply Up