Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-25-2015, 02:08 AM
rbkpineda83's Avatar
rbkpineda83 rbkpineda83 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1
Default Provider Take Out My Child with No Reason

Can a provider kick out my child with no reason?????
My child was in this family daycare for over a year, she is one now, so she started very young.
Over the year there were minor irregularities but nothing to care about as a parent, I love the provider and my child does as well.
The thing is that; two weeks ago my child came home with a bruise on her eye, her dad asked for the accident report and she have not gave it to me due that the bruise wasn't there when i pick her up that day, the provider just notified me verbally.
Next day i asked for the report, she gave it to me when i pick her up and one week after this happened she gave me the termination.
she denies that was for that reason, she says she wants to avoid future problems with my child's dad.
I'm worried because if this is ok, i don't want my child keep been kick out from daycare "just because" I ask her for an accident report.
I got the sensation over the year she was looking for an excuse to kick her out but i refused to admit... and now even tho she haven't she still kik my child out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-25-2015, 08:52 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,305
Default

Of course she can. She can term you because she doesn't like the laundry soap you use to wash your kids clothes.

Unless she has a contract offering a time frame for her to terminate, she's well within her rights.

If the kid had a bruise it would be there for days. Why wasn't it there when you picked up the kid?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

I'm afraid nannyde is right on this one. Home based providers are typically small businesses with limited resources. If a client (parent) did anything to make me believe that they were concerned I had injured their child, I would likely terminate care as well.

In this case, it sounds like the provider may have believed you were upset about an injury. (Which may or may not have happened there). When you pressed for a formal report, she opted to end the business relationship.

I have four kids myself so I can tell you from experience that kids are going to get hurt, at home and at childcare. If you have a concern at your child's next childcare, it's best to have a friendly discussion if you are genuinely concerned. When you are at the point of requesting formal documents, in my experience, the relationship goes south quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default thank you for your response

the bruise was red the first day, they admitted she felt that day, and i understand that my child will fell and get many injuries over her life.
But, since I'm a divorced parent and the eye got the bruise, in california it is required by tittle 22 get an injury report if the child gets cut, burn, bruised or poisoned. they had to report also if it gets bitten or bite, but never revel the name of the child that give or got the bite.
it just procedures that all daycares, family or center have to do as a child care business.
I didnt mean to get a big deal, i just asked for the injury report.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2015, 01:26 PM
MissAnn's Avatar
MissAnn MissAnn is offline
Preschool Teacher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the bruise was red the first day, they admitted she felt that day, and i understand that my child will fell and get many injuries over her life.
But, since I'm a divorced parent and the eye got the bruise, in california it is required by tittle 22 get an injury report if the child gets cut, burn, bruised or poisoned. they had to report also if it gets bitten or bite, but never revel the name of the child that give or got the bite.
it just procedures that all daycares, family or center have to do as a child care business.
I didnt mean to get a big deal, i just asked for the injury report.
If you trust your provider then why did you want the report? Just because it's required?

You may not realize the vulnerable situation we are in. Many of us have been falsely accused of and it's one of our biggest fears. By asking for the report you put out a lack of trust vibe. Just as someone mentioned before me a friendly conversation or questioning about the bruise would have been more appropriate and effective. I would've probably made up an excuse to terminate as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I strongly understand

As I mentioned before, I am a divorced parent, my child dad asked for the report since he gets from his other child over the school year.
I totally understand child care providers have their rights, I have studied child development and worked on a child care center as a TA.
I just concern that the parents doesn't have the right to know what happened if our children get hurts on daycare? it that a reasonable reason to kick a child out? We have never complain about anything, we always try to get along as a family with all the caregivers.
My child has develop secure attachment with all of them, and now as a mom I'm concerned about how will affect her the environment change, I'm worried about if this will happened again? should i just keep quiet just to no offend the providers???
An injury report also protect providers, since parents sign as understanding that wasn't something big, if the child get hurts someone else and the parents wants to turn it to the daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2015, 02:09 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As I mentioned before, I am a divorced parent, my child dad asked for the report since he gets from his other child over the school year.
I totally understand child care providers have their rights, I have studied child development and worked on a child care center as a TA.
I just concern that the parents doesn't have the right to know what happened if our children get hurts on daycare? it that a reasonable reason to kick a child out? We have never complain about anything, we always try to get along as a family with all the caregivers.
My child has develop secure attachment with all of them, and now as a mom I'm concerned about how will affect her the environment change, I'm worried about if this will happened again? should i just keep quiet just to no offend the providers???
An injury report also protect providers, since parents sign as understanding that wasn't something big, if the child get hurts someone else and the parents wants to turn it to the daycare.
It's best practice, and a good idea, for home based providers to draft injury reports but it is not in the title 22 regulations for family child care. I believe that it is required in childcare centers here in California.

I don't think anyone on here would suggest that you should never bring up or be concerned about an injury your child receives at childcare. However, home based settings are often more relaxed and "homey" than centers. Less paperwork oriented and more family friendly. It's why a lot of parents choose them.

This is why I suggest that if you select a home based program again, a conversation about what happened might be a better option. Alternatively, you could ask upfront what a providers procedures are for handling minor injuries. (Eg: do they fill out and give parents injury reports). Asking these questions upfront will help you to decide if the childcare is the best fit for you and your child.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
It's best practice, and a good idea, for home based providers to draft injury reports but it is not in the title 22 regulations for family child care. I believe that it is required in childcare centers here in California.

I don't think anyone on here would suggest that you should never bring up or be concerned about an injury your child receives at childcare. However, home based settings are often more relaxed and "homey" than centers. Less paperwork oriented and more family friendly. It's why a lot of parents choose them.

This is why I suggest that if you select a home based program again, a conversation about what happened might be a better option. Alternatively, you could ask upfront what a providers procedures are for handling minor injuries. (Eg: do they fill out and give parents injury reports). Asking these questions upfront will help you to decide if the childcare is the best fit for you and your child.
It doesn't matter which parent showed a lack of trust. I handed a parent tuition for the following week back once and termed her on the spot when she basically told me she didn't trust me. To me, if you don't trust me you shouldn't leave your child with me another hour, much less another week. Just because it was your ex who showed distrust wouldn't make a difference, the distrust was shown. I have in my contract that I can terminate at will. As far as the eye being red and then getting bruised, I probably would have written a report to cover my backside, but I am not required to. But it likely didn't seem to be a big deal at the time, if the eye was read it may have been from a child rubbing it for all anyone knew, they may not have thought it was from a fall at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2015, 03:05 PM
NoMoreJuice!'s Avatar
NoMoreJuice! NoMoreJuice! is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 715
Default

Your provider did not terminate your contract for no reason. There are always two sides to every story, and you're the only one who knows the truth about your side. Your ex may have been angry that his child was hurt, he may have said something to the provider to make her feel that she was no longer trusted. And I agree with previous posters, by the time it gets to asking for paperwork, heated words were probably already exchanged.

Learn from this, and take it to your next provider. Let them know that you want them to be completely up front with you, and you will treat them with the same respect in turn. Try to develop a good relationship that benefits the child.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2015, 03:13 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the bruise was red the first day, they admitted she felt that day, and i understand that my child will fell and get many injuries over her life.
But, since I'm a divorced parent and the eye got the bruise, in california it is required by tittle 22 get an injury report if the child gets cut, burn, bruised or poisoned. they had to report also if it gets bitten or bite, but never revel the name of the child that give or got the bite.
it just procedures that all daycares, family or center have to do as a child care business.
I didnt mean to get a big deal, i just asked for the injury report.
How do you know it was an injury as a result of a fall. A bruise has a cycle of healing. It doesn't go away in a day.

She may have just rubbed her eyes and it turned red. She may have fallen that day and it didn't affect her eye. They can't come up with a report if there isn't a real bruise.

It doesn't matter now. They can write a report saying the kid had a red eyelid or red under the eye and it was not present the next day. The redness was of unknown reason.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2015, 04:46 PM
KidGrind's Avatar
KidGrind KidGrind is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Red, White & Blue
Posts: 1,108
Default

OP, you keep saying she kicked out your child for no reason.

The provider did not immediately terminate childcare services, she gave you notice. There was no kicking out involved.

I’d like to point out she gave you a valid reason. She doesn’t want to deal with your ex-husband anymore. Maybe you just divorced the greatest man in the world. I don’t know. It’s none of my business. You had the right to detach yourself from him as a partner. The provider has the same right to deal or not deal with him on her terms.

You have the reason. You may not like it but it has been shared with you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2015, 09:27 PM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkpineda83 View Post
Can a provider kick out my child with no reason?????
My child was in this family daycare for over a year, she is one now, so she started very young.
Over the year there were minor irregularities but nothing to care about as a parent, I love the provider and my child does as well.
The thing is that; two weeks ago my child came home with a bruise on her eye, her dad asked for the accident report and she have not gave it to me due that the bruise wasn't there when i pick her up that day, the provider just notified me verbally.
Next day i asked for the report, she gave it to me when i pick her up and one week after this happened she gave me the termination.
she denies that was for that reason, she says she wants to avoid future problems with my child's dad.
I'm worried because if this is ok, i don't want my child keep been kick out from daycare "just because" I ask her for an accident report.
I got the sensation over the year she was looking for an excuse to kick her out but i refused to admit... and now even tho she haven't she still kik my child out.
Dad wanted the report (why?? was it a major black and blue eye or serious injury?)

She told you why she termed, so it is not for "no reason". The issue you have to deal with is managing a healthy daycare relationship between you, the provider, and DAD. He is the reason you have been termed, so I would start there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

We totally trust the daycare and all the caregivers, we never try to offend anyone just wanted to avoid misunderstanding.
The dad and me always shown trust and respect to all the staff.
The day i asked for the report i told the provider that she had the option to make the report or not to, it was something that she will make it just if she wanted, trying no to make a big deal to make her feel offended.
Since the dad never calls or visit daycare anymore due to work schedule, he gets the written reports from his other child all the time for this reason.
Well, we have learned our lesson as parent.
We never got a contract with the provider or a handbook because she is a family based and we always try to have the best communication.
My daughter started in the program at a very young age (38 days), We trust her so much that didn't ask for any handbook or something like that.
Thank you all of you for your responses, it had help us a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We totally trust the daycare and all the caregivers, we never try to offend anyone just wanted to avoid misunderstanding.
The dad and me always shown trust and respect to all the staff.
The day i asked for the report i told the provider that she had the option to make the report or not to, it was something that she will make it just if she wanted, trying no to make a big deal to make her feel offended.
Since the dad never calls or visit daycare anymore due to work schedule, he gets the written reports from his other child all the time for this reason.
Well, we have learned our lesson as parent.
We never got a contract with the provider or a handbook because she is a family based and we always try to have the best communication.
My daughter started in the program at a very young age (38 days), We trust her so much that didn't ask for any handbook or something like that.
Thank you all of you for your responses, it had help us a lot.
Well for me if the provider didn't have a contract and handbook, I for one would never use them. Family care is a business just like any other. A contract protects both parties, and a handbook keeps everyone on the same page. But you can't go back and complain about that now because you knew that when you signed up.

But I still say from your original post, I would have taken the whole thing as non trust. To go back and ask for an incident report for something that may not have happened at daycare is accusing to me. You say the bruise wasn't there at pick up, as a provider I can not and will not write a report on something that was never there. If a parent asked me for it, I would term on the spot. Like I said, I handed back tuition to a parent for the next week and termed for less. Distrust is distrust, and I for one will not work for anyone once it rears its ugly head. I would be even more inclined to term if the problem was coming from a parent I never seen.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-26-2015, 08:01 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkpineda83 View Post
Can a provider kick out my child with no reason?????
My child was in this family daycare for over a year, she is one now, so she started very young.
Over the year there were minor irregularities but nothing to care about as a parent, I love the provider and my child does as well.
The thing is that; two weeks ago my child came home with a bruise on her eye, her dad asked for the accident report and she have not gave it to me due that the bruise wasn't there when i pick her up that day, the provider just notified me verbally.
Next day i asked for the report, she gave it to me when i pick her up and one week after this happened she gave me the termination.
she denies that was for that reason, she says she wants to avoid future problems with my child's dad.
I'm worried because if this is ok, i don't want my child keep been kick out from daycare "just because" I ask her for an accident report.
I got the sensation over the year she was looking for an excuse to kick her out but i refused to admit... and now even tho she haven't she still kik my child out.
I would talk with dad and see what happened. If everything was fine until this, I think that this is where the issue lies.

If she is required to give a report, I would have asked for one, too. So I don't see anything wrong with that. I always do reports, even with no mark showing, so that if anything does happen, I'm covered and parents know what happened. I have never 'forgotten', 'not gotten around to it', etc.

I may have missed where the alleged bruising origins were unknown and were assumed to happen at daycare. So if the bruise showed up, provider said it didn't happen there, and dad pushed the issue, then I would be concerned as a provider. At the end of the day, we have to protect our business. So I would chat with dad and see what was said/implied. Like I said, that part of the thread doesn't seem clear to me.

As for terminating, we don't have to have a reason, but most of us won't term willy nilly, either. She told you it was because of dad. So again, start there.

Sorry this happened. When you find a new provider, I would suggest letting her know upfront that dad will require documentation of all incidences. Also, make sure you get a contract and handbook. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As I mentioned before, I am a divorced parent, my child dad asked for the report since he gets from his other child over the school year.
I totally understand child care providers have their rights, I have studied child development and worked on a child care center as a TA.
I just concern that the parents doesn't have the right to know what happened if our children get hurts on daycare? it that a reasonable reason to kick a child out? We have never complain about anything, we always try to get along as a family with all the caregivers.
My child has develop secure attachment with all of them, and now as a mom I'm concerned about how will affect her the environment change, I'm worried about if this will happened again? should i just keep quiet just to no offend the providers???
An injury report also protect providers, since parents sign as understanding that wasn't something big, if the child get hurts someone else and the parents wants to turn it to the daycare.
Minor injuries, bumps bruises and scrapes shouldnt need a report. I don't think it's that the provider felt like not giving it to you as much as she wasn't sure it happened there. It sounds like no one knows where the bruise happened. Why would the provider say it happened in her care, if the bruise wasn't there when you got there? I wouldn't say something happened that didn't. And if I saw a bruise the NEXT day, I would assume it happened at home. I would never assume that something happened in my care, then document it. I would need to KNOW for sure that it did before I put it down on paper.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidGrind View Post
OP, you keep saying she kicked out your child for no reason.

The provider did not immediately terminate childcare services, she gave you notice. There was no kicking out involved.

Iíd like to point out she gave you a valid reason. She doesnít want to deal with your ex-husband anymore. Maybe you just divorced the greatest man in the world. I donít know. Itís none of my business. You had the right to detach yourself from him as a partner. The provider has the same right to deal or not deal with him on her terms.

You have the reason. You may not like it but it has been shared with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Minor injuries, bumps bruises and scrapes shouldnt need a report. I don't think it's that the provider felt like not giving it to you as much as she wasn't sure it happened there. It sounds like no one knows where the bruise happened. Why would the provider say it happened in her care, if the bruise wasn't there when you got there? I wouldn't say something happened that didn't. And if I saw a bruise the NEXT day, I would assume it happened at home. I would never assume that something happened in my care, then document it. I would need to KNOW for sure that it did before I put it down on paper.
LOL NannyDe, I almost had to let a child go because of Mom's perfume. I'm highly sensitive and the child reeked like it after being dropped off. I talked to the mom, and she ended up not putting it on until she was in the car after drop off. Dad did pick ups- win-win.

OP- I am terminating a child TOMORROW because I don't like the Dad. He's overbearing, acts distrustful (but says he IS trusting of me), questions EVERYTHING, and honestly, I feel like he attempts to intimidate me. She may just NOT LIKE your ex, or think your ex was accusatory, or thinks he was at fault for the injury and attempted to blame her.

Is this the first time your child has been injured?
Are you CERTAIN the child was injured there?
She is NOT legally obligated to give a report (per a previous poster this is a CENTER requirement). Does she typically give reports? I am not obligated- but I write up a little boo-boo thing and have parents sign.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-01-2016, 10:19 AM
rbkpineda
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The injury happened there, the day she had the accident they report me verbally that she felt while she was trying to climb up the slide, she lost the balance and she hit her eye.
The bruise didn't appear the first day, it was red, and the main provider wasn't there.
I didn't make a big deal since my child is one year and i understand she is developing her motor skills.
That day my child spend the some time with her dad, and the bruise started to appear...
He asked me for the report because he though I already had it, so he asked for a copy.
Next day I asked the provider for the report, making clear that i wasn't demanding it, she could decide to make it or not...
She said she haven't make it because the bruise wasn't there, it was just red and explain me how my child got the bruise.

A couple of days after this happen she gave me the two weeks notice, saying that the reason was the dad asked for the report and she is afraid that if my child get a major injury he could demand her...
that was nonsense for me, i tried to make her understand but she just claim that was her right to choose whose families to work with.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-01-2016, 01:06 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkpineda View Post
The injury happened there, the day she had the accident they report me verbally that she felt while she was trying to climb up the slide, she lost the balance and she hit her eye.
The bruise didn't appear the first day, it was red, and the main provider wasn't there.
I didn't make a big deal since my child is one year and i understand she is developing her motor skills.
That day my child spend the some time with her dad, and the bruise started to appear...
He asked me for the report because he though I already had it, so he asked for a copy.
Next day I asked the provider for the report, making clear that i wasn't demanding it, she could decide to make it or not...
She said she haven't make it because the bruise wasn't there, it was just red and explain me how my child got the bruise.

A couple of days after this happen she gave me the two weeks notice, saying that the reason was the dad asked for the report and she is afraid that if my child get a major injury he could demand her...
that was nonsense for me, i tried to make her understand but she just claim that was her right to choose whose families to work with.
It is her right because she owns/runs the business... most of us would probably have done the same because your family became a liability due to an injury that didn't show for a few days... requesting a paper that may not legally be required by a childcare home as per regulations (every state is different), plus asking for it from the main provider who wasn't' onsite when an accident happened? I wouldn't give you anything in writing if I didn't witness it either.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysesKids View Post
It is her right because she owns/runs the business... most of us would probably have done the same because your family became a liability due to an injury that didn't show for a few days... requesting a paper that may not legally be required by a childcare home as per regulations (every state is different), plus asking for it from the main provider who wasn't' onsite when an accident happened? I wouldn't give you anything in writing if I didn't witness it either.
I agree with this. And I probably wouldn't have given you a two week notice. At this point, I would consider you a determent to my business. You yourself say there was not bruise when you picked up the child, it came later. There is no way I would write a report on a bruise that wasn't there. I would write you an immediate termination notice though. I feel that you are lucky she gave you two weeks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Pick Up Tips daymommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 02-26-2016 11:23 AM
Lingering DCD Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 48 08-26-2014 08:45 AM
Assessment Sheet??? daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 09-25-2012 04:31 PM
Not Sure What To Do (Sorry!! Very Long) Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 02-24-2011 06:38 PM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 12:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming