Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Just Wondering

In our center, children are required to keep their shoes on at all times, even during nap. One of the reasons is so they have them on in case we all have to get out fast. ( Infants are excluded ). For those of you who want shoes off, do you have them in a bin where you can just scoop up all the shoes at once in case of an emergency ? I just canít see anyone getting very far with 8 2-4 year olds with no shoes on outside.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Honestly in a true emergency the last thing you are going to be worrying about is shoes so whether they are in a bin or not in a bin it probably doesnít matter.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
Honestly in a true emergency the last thing you are going to be worrying about is shoes so whether they are in a bin or not in a bin it probably doesnít matter.
THIS... no offense but everyone including me goes shoes free in my home. I have had to evacuate 4 babes/toddlers twice within 48 hrs. I don't worry about shoes in a drill & sure as hell didn't care about them when the emergency happened; now I did grab the evacuation bag, but that was more important than shoes (I keep the silver emergency blankets & fold up plastic toddler raincoats in it along with bottles, snacks); staying safe is more important than shoes
Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Family Childcare Home

We are shoes off here, including me. I keep a pair of flip flops or slip-ons near my door where all of the kids keep their but we don't put them on for fire drills.

My emergency plan and drill plan is to put the infants and toddlers into my mini-portable crip (pack n play), it has wheels on one side. Then I roll it outside either through the front door or through the back door. The whole process takes me about 30 seconds. I do grab my own shoes and usually I can slip them on while I'm scooping up two kids. My own kids are older (5 years +) and they don't put their shoes on, they just walk out barefoot.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
We are shoes off here, including me. I keep a pair of flip flops or slip-ons near my door where all of the kids keep their but we don't put them on for fire drills.

My emergency plan and drill plan is to put the infants and toddlers into my mini-portable crip (pack n play), it has wheels on one side. Then I roll it outside either through the front door or through the back door. The whole process takes me about 30 seconds. I do grab my own shoes and usually I can slip them on while I'm scooping up two kids. My own kids are older (5 years +) and they don't put their shoes on, they just walk out barefoot.
Yep... put all the babes in the PNP with wheels & I set off the alarms on my windows on the way out the door; My neighbors know if the alarms sound or the car alarm is set off, I need help NOW. I have it in place because of of an medical emergency I had in February. I live alone & it saved my life. I have cheap glass alarms on all windows in the house... loud enough to hear a block away
Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Shoes off here, too. I keep an emergency tote in my shed (far enough away that it would be safe to access). It has various sizes of slip on shoes, jackets, hats, gloves, diapers, wipes, etc. I also always grab my emergency bag (food, juice boxes, first aid kit, emergency contact info, etc) so I feel well prepared.

When we do drills we do them all out- just as in a real emergency. We have walked outside without shoes MANY times.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

We have all the children keep their shoes on especially during nap so that in the event of an emergency then they cans just get up and go.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

When I worked at a preschool in vegas, all the kids had to keep their shoes in case of emergency because you cannot just run outside barefoot when the ground is 120+ degrees.

i would hate to nap with my shoes on
Old 08-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
When I worked at a preschool in vegas, all the kids had to keep their shoes in case of emergency because you cannot just run outside barefoot when the ground is 120+ degrees.

i would hate to nap with my shoes on
I do infants, most have never been in shoes, much less walk well so non issue lol. Me... yep, I'll deal with heat on asphalt if needed; Oh wait did that in '94 when my home got firebombed one night (Baltimore)... got my own 4 children out but lost everything we owned when the gasoline caught & exploded
Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have a basket for shoes in my entryway. We go barefoot indoors in the warm months, wool socks in the cold months (we heat with wood so wool socks are a must! ) Since my program is nature based we're outside for a great part of the day and footwear is often a battle as my group loves to roam with without shoes at all.
I also have IKEA hanging storage shelves in the closet in which I keep extras (canvas sneakers, crocs, rubber boots, woolies, etc).

Tags
shoes - inside