Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Different Kinds Of Milk Do You Buy?
Country Kids 08:36 AM 06-13-2018
As of last nights newest client I'm up to buying four different kinds of milk and it isn't cheap!!!!

1%-5 Gallons
Almond-1 Gallon
Goat Milk-1 Gallon
Soy-1 Gallon

Is there any other type of milk a child may need? I honestly don't think I could fit anymore in my fridge and need to get a refrigerator just because of all the milk!
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 06-13-2018
I buy 1% as I have ages 2+ only.

I don't have any kids that require substitute milk and honestly if I did, I think soy is the only one I would provide.

Any other type would need to be supplied by the parent.

I don't think my food program accepts almond or goats milk as an credible substitute for cows milk or soy milk but that might have changed, I don't know...I don't have anyone in care currently with special dietary needs
daycarediva 09:14 AM 06-13-2018
I don't provide food for special diets, so those kids would need to come with milk from home, in three separate sippy cups, daily.

I buy whole, under 2's and skim, over 2's.

My current crew ALWAYS chose water, so we use milk for under 2's and in cereal only. I go through about 3 gallons a week for 12 kids.
jenboo 09:36 AM 06-13-2018
I bought while milk. Parents provided their specialty milks.
Febby 10:11 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I buy 1% as I have ages 2+ only.

I don't have any kids that require substitute milk and honestly if I did, I think soy is the only one I would provide.

Any other type would need to be supplied by the parent.

I don't think my food program accepts almond or goats milk as an credible substitute for cows milk or soy milk but that might have changed, I don't know...I don't have anyone in care currently with special dietary needs
Mine will only accept almond/coconut/hemp/goat/etc. milk if there's a note from a doctor saying the child can't have both cow's milk and soy milk.

I buy 1% for the DC kiddos (all 2+) and almond milk for my DD. When the infant turns 1, I'll get whole milk for her but right now mom supplies formula. I also wouldn't be supplying any alternative milk other than soy.
Jupadia 10:22 AM 06-13-2018
I provide 2% for 2+ ages and 3.5% for the under 2 crowd. Any children that require a different kind I have the parents provide it. For example I have one child that gets lactose free milk so parents bring it. No price change to fees or anything and I'm not a part of any food program so I have no issue if parents want a different kind.
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Febby:
Mine will only accept almond/coconut/hemp/goat/etc. milk if there's a note from a doctor saying the child can't have both cow's milk and soy milk.
I think special diet statements will make non-dairy milk credible or claimable but without a special diet statement almond milk, goats milk and/or coconut milk aren't nutritionally equivalent.
Country Kids 12:01 PM 06-13-2018
For those who have the parents supply the milk how are you reimbursed on the food program?

We can't claim if the parents are supplying items.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
For those who have the parents supply the milk how are you reimbursed on the food program?

We can't claim if the parents are supplying items.
New food program rules for kids over 12 months (Oct 2017) say you CAN claim meals/snacks where parents supply one component of the meal IF the parent supplied portion is a credible substitute.
hwichlaz 12:31 PM 06-13-2018
Real milk for my family, 2-gal
1 % for daycare, 2 gal
Cat Herder 12:50 PM 06-13-2018
Milk provided: 1%

Infant Formula provided: Parents Choice Infant with Iron - to 12 months

Toddler Formula provided: Parent's Choice Toddlers Beginnings with Iron - to 24 months

All included with tuition.

Parents provide alternatives. Few do this past 6 months.
racemom 12:35 PM 06-14-2018
Not on food program, but we offer whole up to age 2 and 1% after. Have only had 1 parent request different said they were doing an elimination diet to find what was wrong with dck, and was told they had to supply, new unopened carton as needed and fresh one every monday morning. Lasted 2 weeks, parent forgot milk monday, director said needed to go home with child and return with carton. Suddenly they decided milk was not the issue. Side note: none of us think dck has anything wrong except Mom and her needing special.
Tags:milk
Reply Up