Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time Outs For Toddlers
Heidi 07:47 AM 02-01-2012
Does anyone use or believe in time outs for toddlers?

Hitting, biting, tantrums?

If so, how do you present them, and where?
sariejohnston 11:30 AM 02-01-2012
Yes i do time outs for my class i teach the two year old class, but what i have is i made a smile chart with smiles of green which is smiling, the yellow is slightly frowning and the red is sad. when they bite or hit, or anything that is a big No No! they go in time out according to their age they are 2 so for two mins they have to sit in time out, if they keep acting out i change their smiling.. if it gets to red i write a note home to the parents to let them know everything that happened, and they don't get a sticker. if they keep a green smile all day they get a sticker at the end of the day.

i know in the one year old room they do time out for 1 min they just have them sit by themselves.
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 02-01-2012
Time outs are GREAT for toddlers.....

I took a 30 minute one today while my DH had them on the playground.

It made for a MUCH better afternoon for us all...

Granted I was not hitting, biting or having a tantrum..... I still think it has it's merits.

In all seriousness, though, "Time Outs" only work for me when I reverse them. Instead of the child going to a "Time Out Bench" (which is only allowed for ages 3 and up, here) the toy goes in a box or the activity is stopped until another time.
Heidi 12:21 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Time outs are GREAT for toddlers.....

I took a 30 minute one today while my DH had them on the playground.

It made for a MUCH better afternoon for us all...

Granted I was not hitting, biting or having a tantrum..... I still think it has it's merits.

In all seriousness, though, "Time Outs" only work for me when I reverse them. Instead of the child going to a "Time Out Bench" (which is only allowed for ages 3 and up, here) the toy goes in a box or the activity is stopped until another time.

lol...leave it to you, Cath!

We are not supposed to use them for under 3, either. I know it's different for other states, so I was wondering.

Honestly, my opinion is that if you start trying to use them at 3, it's a little late. Then you have kids that wont stay put, and it's useless.

I just feel like I am going in circles some days. I can't even go to the bathroom unless 3/5 of my kids are completely locked down somewhere (like belted into their clip on chairs). Most days, I can't drink a cup of coffee or answer a quick phone call. "Free play" means "free-for-all" or "wrestlemania" to these kids, and after 10 months of saying "gentle hands" and "x doesn't like it when you pull her hair, it HURTS her", and "SQUIRREL" (lol-redirection), it's getting worse, not better!

There are days when I think maybe just good-old-fashioned "NO" and "YOU HIT-YOU SIT" might be what's needed, inspite of what the regs and the dev. appropriate practices say.
Cat Herder 12:41 PM 02-01-2012
I see what you are saying, now....

I do separate.

I have individual rooms with half walls as well as group play areas. If I have someone who can't play in group without drama, they play alone during Indirect Supervision times until they can control themselves or I have the ability to provide DIRECT supervision.

For me that means they play alone while I am setting the table, taking someone potty, etc... When I am back 100% I give them a chance back in group. If they start back up, back to individual play. Friendship is not guaranteed, it is earned...good to learn it young, IMHO.

It is not technically "time out", just individual play space. 36 sq feet, decorated and WELL stocked and rotated out in theme toys. (think sending your child to play in their room)

In the mornings I start everyone in group, then rotationally separate each child for some private play throughout the day to avoid the frustration buildup (escalation pattern) of "having too many "friends" touching me all day".... Sometimes they go in at their own request...

It is not a dreaded thing, everyone get's a turn (some more than others) I don't make a big deal of it at all....but I also don't have many disciplinary issues either. When I move them over, they don't even cry... It is just expected. They hang out and play...then I ask them if they are ready to come back to group....sometimes they tell me no "I like blocks"....
Heidi 12:47 PM 02-01-2012

I do separate.

I have individual rooms with half walls as well as group play areas. If I have someone who can't play in group without drama, they play alone during Indirect Supervision times until they can control themselves or I have the ability to provide DIRECT supervision.

For me that means they play alone while I am setting the table, taking someone potty, etc... When I am back 100% I give them a chance back in group. If they start back up, back to individual play. Friendship is not guaranteed, it is earned...good to learn it young, IMHO.

It is not technically "time out", just individual play space. 36 sq feet, decorated and WELL stocked and rotated out in theme toys. (think sending your child to play in their room)

In the mornings I start everyone in group, then rotationally separate each child for some private play throughout the day to avoid the frustration buildup (escalation pattern) of "having too many "friends" touching me all day".... Sometimes they go in at their own request...

It is not a dreaded thing, everyone get's a turn (some more than others) I don't make a big deal of it at all....but I also don't have many disciplinary issues either. When I move them over, they don't even cry... It is just expected. They hang out and play...then I ask them if they are ready to come back to group....sometimes they tell me no "I like blocks"....
arggg....space....I need more space!
Cat Herder 12:49 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
That is always a fact.....

So far this house is the biggest one I have used for daycare.... My first one....agh!! I still don't know how I survived doing daycare there....

I swear even with 900 square feet dedicated space....the walls still close in some days...
Country Kids 12:52 PM 02-01-2012
You and me both! I would actually love to have a elementary sized classroom for my daycare room. It would be so awesome I thinkto actually have something that size. You could do sooooooooo much with it!
Heidi 12:57 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
You and me both! I would actually love to have a elementary sized classroom for my daycare room. It would be so awesome I thinkto actually have something that size. You could do sooooooooo much with it!
Yeah, well, I used to have that space. 800sq feet of 100% daycare. Unfortunately, in order to keep that particular space, I would have had to keep my former husband, as well. Life is all about choices, eh?
Cat Herder 01:33 PM 02-01-2012
Yeah, well, I used to have that space. 800sq feet of 100% daycare. Unfortunately, in order to keep that particular space, I would have had to keep my former husband, as well. Life is all about choices, eh?
Sorry, hun.....

I bet it is so much harder down sizing after that... I wish I had better advice for that. With all the old discipline plans being against the rules, there is not much we can do anymore.... Not even rewards/treats for good behavior....too humiliating or cruel for the ones not getting a reward.

Here, putting a child in a high chair (unless they are eating) for violent behaviors while you tend to the victim is considered confinement and against regs... I guess that is why I see so many big kids eating cheerios in baby room high chairs at centers (during mandatory training classes).

My playroom setup and extra space are the only way I survive with my sanity intact currently...

There really are no easy answers anymore.... Even in training classes they only tell us what we CAN'T do...never giving us CLEAR instructions of what we CAN do. If they take away my playrooms, I will close...and become a thorn in their behind at ALL public hearings with my new found free time.
daycare 01:36 PM 02-01-2012

I do separate.

THis...

separation has always worked for me. I do say the words no or no thank you and tell them what I do want. I then separate the child from the group. Most of the time if they are too small to really understand, I just hold their hand or hold them a little closer to me.

catch them before it happens.....
Checkinkids.com 01:54 PM 02-01-2012
lol...leave it to you, Cath!

We are not supposed to use them for under 3, either. I know it's different for other states, so I was wondering.

Honestly, my opinion is that if you start trying to use them at 3, it's a little late. Then you have kids that wont stay put, and it's useless.

I just feel like I am going in circles some days. I can't even go to the bathroom unless 3/5 of my kids are completely locked down somewhere (like belted into their clip on chairs). Most days, I can't drink a cup of coffee or answer a quick phone call. "Free play" means "free-for-all" or "wrestlemania" to these kids, and after 10 months of saying "gentle hands" and "x doesn't like it when you pull her hair, it HURTS her", and "SQUIRREL" (lol-redirection), it's getting worse, not better!

There are days when I think maybe just good-old-fashioned "NO" and "YOU HIT-YOU SIT" might be what's needed, inspite of what the regs and the dev. appropriate practices say.
We always have problems occur at free play. It's when they get bored or don't know what to do that the trouble comes out! So - we still do "free play" but make sure someone big is involved most of the time. And we never announce it anymore like "ok now it's time for free play" : translation - You guys go nuts while we sit around watch for someone to do something bad.
Tags:time out
Reply Up