Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside On Winter Day's??? Do You Go Outside In Winter?
josie2014 07:16 AM 11-19-2014
Here's what the mom just told me...Omg,I asked if she's could bring proper clothes for her 9 month old,because we go out side every day with the kids.And she's said you not going outside anymore because I don't want her outside on winter.I said all the other kids incluide my 16 month old loves to go out side and has proper clothes.I not going to stay with all the kids inside,just because of her.She's said ok live her inside and watch from the door,but till she's not year old I don't wanna her outside...I just said ok I will try but she's love to stay outside with the other's kids....of couse I am going when is to cold.
Unregistered 07:19 AM 11-19-2014
I would term. No way would I leave a baby inside while the others go out. We all go!
Thriftylady 07:19 AM 11-19-2014
In Kansas I made up a chart and gave it to parents about what temps we would go outside in and what ones we wouldn't. As far as her asking you to stand at the door and watch, that is likely violating regs. Sounds like you have two choices, change how you do things or term this mom based on not a good fit for your program.
hope 07:20 AM 11-19-2014
I would not have said ok. Maybe your set up is different but I couldn't safely leave a 9 month old inside alone. I also wouldn't leave my door open so the house gets cold. I have an assistant some days but I am very clear with parents that she is not here to give individual care for one only. She is here to help with all the kids as a group. How are you going to manage this request?
KSDC 07:23 AM 11-19-2014
No way. The children and I would go crazy if we stayed inside all winter. Not healthy for mind, body, or soul!

I would tell mom that in my program we spend time outside everyday, unless it is truly inclement weather. In fact, my state mandates that we be outside for an hour each day. She can either send her child with the appropriate cold weather gear, or she can find another provider.
josie2014 07:26 AM 11-19-2014
My back yard isn't big,the kids stay very close from the door,the door is glass door and I normally stay very close to the door...I was thinking putting the pack and play on the door and sit next to the door because I would be close to the door and close to the kids.But hurts me doing this with her...so sad...she's going to cry I know her...Do you go out side with 9 month old...I always went outside with mom son since he was 3 months old......
VTMom 07:48 AM 11-19-2014
You live in MASSACHUSETTS! DCM cannot avoid winter! We all go outside. Check your regulations. My guess is that this is not allowed. You can then use that to backpedal with DCM saying "I checked state regulations after our discussion and it is not permitted to leave a child inside without an adult" or whatever the regs say. A 9 month old is very fine being outside. When I have non-walkers, I'd put them in a toddler sled (with the seat belts), and usually the older kids would jump in to pull them around the yard. I'd also clear a spot in the snow and let them explore on their own. They loved it!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:35 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by VTMom:
You live in MASSACHUSETTS! DCM cannot avoid winter! We all go outside. Check your regulations. My guess is that this is not allowed. You can then use that to backpedal with DCM saying "I checked state regulations after our discussion and it is not permitted to leave a child inside without an adult" or whatever the regs say. A 9 month old is very fine being outside. When I have non-walkers, I'd put them in a toddler sled (with the seat belts), and usually the older kids would jump in to pull them around the yard. I'd also clear a spot in the snow and let them explore on their own. They loved it!

I'd tell her we go outside every day, and her daughter can dress for it or go elsewhere. And in the future, I'd be sure to make it very clear to all enrolling families that you go outside in all weather.
Annalee 09:40 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by josie2014:
Here's what the mom just told me...Omg,I asked if she's could bring proper clothes for her 9 month old,because we go out side every day with the kids.And she's said you not going outside anymore because I don't want her outside on winter.I said all the other kids incluide my 16 month old loves to go out side and has proper clothes.I not going to stay with all the kids inside,just because of her.She's said ok live her inside and watch from the door,but till she's not year old I don't wanna her outside...I just said ok I will try but she's love to stay outside with the other's kids....of couse I am going when is to cold.
NO WAY would this work for licensing here....major supervision issue. All children go out here......no exceptions! Supervision is so strict here that when my assistant and I are outside with 12 kids and one has to be changed, 5 kids have to come in with the diaper changer because ratios are 1 to 7 or 2 to 12....ratios are a big issue here and come with fines......
finsup 10:08 AM 11-19-2014
Yeah, that wouldn't work here. Not even if it was easy to watch a child inside while the others were outside. I wouldn't like being told what *I* was going to do. If it were me, I'd either send mom a message or a pick-up today say something like "I had some time to think about your request and I do not feel comfortable leaving a child inside while the others are outside (or say it's against regulations). You may either send her with proper outdoor gear and she will come out with us, or, I will call you for a pick-up before we go outside."

I did have a mom tell me the opposite once, I was to bring their 10 month old outside, every day, regardless of weather. Uh, no...we go outside often but if it's -10 out, we're staying in!
melilley 10:22 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
In Kansas I made up a chart and gave it to parents about what temps we would go outside in and what ones we wouldn't. As far as her asking you to stand at the door and watch, that is likely violating regs. Sounds like you have two choices, change how you do things or term this mom based on not a good fit for your program.
Not to hijack, but do you mind sharing your chart?

And op, I would NEVER leave a child inside alone, even if they are in a pack and play right by the door. You have to pay attention to all children, regulation or not! I agree with pp, I would not let this dcm tell you what to do! I like the idea of calling for pickup before you go outside or tell her you have to go outside and if she won't bring proper clothing, you will put some on her or term.
Josiegirl 10:25 AM 11-19-2014
If she refused to budge, she'd be gone from my daycare. We all live for our outside time and if they're properly dressed for it, they'll be better off for it. Less exposure to germs, nice fresh air, sunshine. Besides I have 2 dogs, we *have* to go out every day.
daycarediva 10:29 AM 11-19-2014
"Dcm after checking with the state regulations, I am unable to accommodate your request for no outside time, and leaving dcg inside when we go out. Your only options are to pick up from X-X when outside time is daily, bring proper gear so that dck can participate in outdoor play, or find alternate care. Please let me know what you decide."

Fresh air is SOO SO SOOOO good for everyone! I do NOT understand this mentality.
josie2014 11:03 AM 11-19-2014
Thank you soo much for all your help...you're so nice.I always learning so much in here.I will let her know when she's come today...I told her is good for the baby and everthing explained.She's said ok but my daughter not going outside...poor baby.One thing I learned here,saying Noooo.I told her I am not going stay inside only because of your child.That's no fair with me and with the other's kids...Thank you all
Checkinkids.com 01:48 PM 11-19-2014
Depending on your state, it could be a requirement that kids have outside time unless weather meets certain severity lines. I was surprised at how cold it actually has to be for kids to stay inside in Indiana.
grandmom 02:37 PM 11-19-2014
Washington state: 30 minutes every day unless it's 20 or below. The rules say nothing about ages, or parent objections.
Ariana 07:58 AM 11-23-2014
Ummm....yeah! She goes out as part of the program. If she doesn't go out she is no longer to be part of the program. aka term!
CraftyMom 09:44 AM 11-23-2014
I'm in MA. You would get cited for leaving the infant inside alone, even with the way you are describing. I just had my licensor here on Thursday and asked her this question, since my setup is similar, a sliding glass door in the playroom and the kids play right there on the other side of the door outside. She gave me a great big NO!

Tell mom you CAN NOT do this since you are not willing to risk your license. Point out the regulation that says you can not do this and that you have to make an effort to take the kids outside everyday, weather permitting.

I can look for the regulation for you if you'd like
Reply Up