Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One Year Anniversary
Boymom 08:18 AM 06-30-2016
Warning: this is a totally negative "Debbie downer" post but I could use some advice!

Yesterday was my one year daycare anniversary.

I'm miserable. Absolutely miserable. If I won the lotto or found another way to make money, I would quit in a heartbeat. I love kids, but I hate having other people's kids in my house for 10 hours a day. I honestly started this daycare so I could stay home with my kids. I knew the daycare would be a challenging job, but it's too much for me! I hate that I've let the parents control my business. I'm the reason why I'm miserable. I have always let people walk all over me.

When dcd wasn't here at 5:30 yesterday (again) I could feel my blood boiling. No respect for MY time. I told myself that I was going to enforce my contract. But of course the words didn't come out and his son was acting like a fool, so I could barely get a word in anyways.

AND I feel like I can't charge a late fee because of this: In May, I got really sick over the weekend and had to close on a Monday. They pay me monthly, so for June, I tried to credit them for the day I had to close in May. (I gave them an invoice with the deducted amount.) Well, they paid me for all of June and they didn't deduct the day I closed in May. I asked why and the dcd said that it was no big deal and the extra is for any days that he's a few minutes late....ummmm no!

So now I feel like I'm being cornered and that I can't even enforce my late fees because of this. I don't want to work 1 second past 5:30. He got here at 5:45 yesterday because of traffic. Ummmm there's hardly any traffic around here!! This is also the family that I'm constantly having to remind to pay me (and of course I haven't charged late fees, so it's 100% my fault.)

And another dcp brought their son in underwear today. of course he pooped in his underwear 5 minutes after he went pee on the potty. He's not ready and I'm going to tell her it's not happening again. Disgusting.

Forgive my negativity. I used to be a very happy person. I can't remember the last time I had fun or laughed!

Soooo where do I go from here? Do I update my contract and have them sign a new one and tell them I'm really going to enforce the contract?

Do I type up a simple reminder about how I want things to work around here?

I feel like I can't just all of a sudden start enforcing my contract now without handing them something new.
childcaremom 08:28 AM 06-30-2016
For me, this was the hardest part of this business to get under control. I am not an outspoken person by nature so it is something that I had to learn and prepare myself to do. But... since I've started doing it, I enjoy my job.

Enforce your contract. I would write a letter that highlights the areas you are having trouble with (late pick ups, potty training policy) and specify the policy. State that moving forward starting today, you will be enforcing the policies, no exceptions. Parents have already signed and agreed to these policies so it should not be a surprise.

Dear dcps,

Well I have been lenient with some issues over the past year, I will be enforcing all of my policies and procedures as outlined in my policy handbook.

Some of these areas include:
list them here

I appreciate everyone's cooperation moving forward.

Your dc provider

Sign, date and return.

Then prepare yourself to enforce them. It is hard initially but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

I have a late pick up fee form that I just slip in the bag that states the amount due at drop off next day. That child will not be accepted into care without the payment. You can follow up with a verbal reminder (late fee form in the bag, dcd, see you tomorrow!) or a text.

It will get better if you enforce the policies that parents have already agreed to when they signed on.
DaycareDays126 08:32 AM 06-30-2016
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way! We've all been there, but that doesnt make it any better. You can update your handbook/contract or don't...it's YOUR business. Meaning it's up to YOU to enforce policies. Whether you update any rules or not doesn't matter...what matters is getting that backbone (that is so easy to talk about but much harder to use) and stick with it. I've had the same issues and once you start enforcing policies and sticking to them it gets much better. A parent doesn't like it? Too bad. It's your business and it's up to you to run it the way YOU want it to be run...don't let your feelings or the parents run the show!
KiwiKids 08:34 AM 06-30-2016
I would enforce the contract you have but if you wanted to make any changes, now is the perfect time to do it. I can tell you from experience the first time you charge a late fee, that DCD won't ever pay for an extra day again but that makes it easier on you in the long run.

If you have families that continue to battle you or bring stress into your home after you've started to uphold and enforce your contract, get rid of them. They'll learn a valuable lesson about not taking good childcare for granted. Keep the families that are interested in having a good working relationship with you. No family or amount of money is worth the stress. This might mean interviewing and terminating as you can and that's ok!
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 06-30-2016
I agree you need to start enforcing. I know how hard it is, I too have let people run me over most of my life. But DCD is getting a heck of a deal. For the small cost of one day of care he can be as late as he wants as often as he wants? You are playing right into his hand. Put an end to it now! If he says something say "I am sorry DCD, but you have used up every dollar of that day of care and then some, if I billed you right now you would owe me money".
Boymom 08:48 AM 06-30-2016
Thank you all very much!

For late pickup, do you double the fee if you watch siblings? Like if I charge $1 per minute and if they are 5 minutes late, do I charge $5 or $10 since there are 2 of them?
Luvnmykidz 08:49 AM 06-30-2016
Sorry you're feeling so stressed and frustrated with the daycare. I'm not sure how much help I can be, but this is what I would do. I would redo my contract and update any paperwork to make sure everyone is on the same page. I would list my expectations and consequences, whether it is termination, probation, or a fee and give an effective date that is no longer than a week (or effective immediately). I would then create a form for parents to sign stating they are aware of the changes and agree to comply or be terminated. I have a form and can pm it to you if you like. It's called an aknowledgement of policies and lists the policy the date it's effective and the consequences for not complying and has space for parent signatures. I would write a short letter to parents sort of like this
Dear Parents of ABC Daycare,
To better serve my clients and reduce the possibility of confusion or chaos as it pertains to policies I will be enforcing all policies in my handbook. Attached is an aknowledgement of polices form that parents are required to sign in order for care to continue and return by the close of business on July 1. I understand that some families may not be in agreement of all of my policies and have also attached a withdrawal form for anyone choosing to withdraw for this reason. Policy changes and enforcement of policies is for the good of my business and are non negotiable. Feel free to contact me regarding questions or clarification of policies.
Sincerely
Your Provider
Hand the forms and letters to parents at pick up, inform them that it's important time sensitive forms that must be submitted by the next day and then go from there.
I'm sure some of the other providers will chime in and give some great advice.
hugs to you and I hope it gets better. Just know that after the 1st few times of enforcing your policies it gets easier and you will definitely feel more in control of your business.
Thriftylady 08:51 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Thank you all very much!

For late pickup, do you double the fee if you watch siblings? Like if I charge $1 per minute and if they are 5 minutes late, do I charge $5 or $10 since there are 2 of them?
It depends. I charge $5 for every 15 minutes or part thereof. If I was having big issues, I would go with the rate of some other providers who charge $1 or even $2 a minute!
Luvnmykidz 08:54 AM 06-30-2016
Thank you all very much!

Each fee should be per child regardless of if they are siblings. So yes double the fee .
KiwiKids 09:04 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Each fee should be per child regardless of if they are siblings. So yes double the fee .
Exactly!
Boymom 09:08 AM 06-30-2016
Thank you! I didn't think I could charge double! That will really make him want to pick up on time hahaha!
Boymom 09:11 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Sorry you're feeling so stressed and frustrated with the daycare. I'm not sure how much help I can be, but this is what I would do. I would redo my contract and update any paperwork to make sure everyone is on the same page. I would list my expectations and consequences, whether it is termination, probation, or a fee and give an effective date that is no longer than a week (or effective immediately). I would then create a form for parents to sign stating they are aware of the changes and agree to comply or be terminated. I have a form and can pm it to you if you like. It's called an aknowledgement of policies and lists the policy the date it's effective and the consequences for not complying and has space for parent signatures. I would write a short letter to parents sort of like this
Dear Parents of ABC Daycare,
To better serve my clients and reduce the possibility of confusion or chaos as it pertains to policies I will be enforcing all policies in my handbook. Attached is an aknowledgement of polices form that parents are required to sign in order for care to continue and return by the close of business on July 1. I understand that some families may not be in agreement of all of my policies and have also attached a withdrawal form for anyone choosing to withdraw for this reason. Policy changes and enforcement of policies is for the good of my business and are non negotiable. Feel free to contact me regarding questions or clarification of policies.
Sincerely
Your Provider
Hand the forms and letters to parents at pick up, inform them that it's important time sensitive forms that must be submitted by the next day and then go from there.
I'm sure some of the other providers will chime in and give some great advice.
hugs to you and I hope it gets better. Just know that after the 1st few times of enforcing your policies it gets easier and you will definitely feel more in control of your business.
Yes, please! Thank you very much!
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 06-30-2016

What do you WANT to do?

Do you want to operate a child care?

Do you want to just do it until your child(ren) goes to school and then you plan on getting an outside the home job?

What do YOU want to do?

Once you decide that, you can make a plan of action to work towards that.

I have lots of advice on how to take control or take back the control in your business but before I start spouting off on how easy it really can be..... YOU have to know what direction you really want to move.......
laundrymom 10:07 AM 06-30-2016
BC is awesome.
That is all

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

What do you WANT to do?

Do you want to just do it until your child(ren) goes to school and then you plan on getting an outside the home job?

What do YOU want to do?

I have lots of advice on how to take control or take back the control in your business but before I start spouting off on how easy it really can be..... YOU have to know what direction you really want to move.......

Blackcat31 10:11 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
BC is awesome.
That is all
aww
Boymom 10:56 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

What do you WANT to do?

What do YOU want to do?

I'm working on my bachelor's degree right now, but I still have about 2 years left. So right about the time I finish my bachelors, my youngest will be starting kindergarten :-)

I plan on having the daycare until then, but I don't want to be miserable for the next 2 years LOL!

But, what I want to do is figure out a way where I don't have to have the daycare and hang out with my kids away from the house ha! But I don't think it can happen financially right now :-/
Snowmom 11:58 AM 06-30-2016

The first year really IS the hardest. It's a transition time for us too. This is a hard job and the real kick in the nutz is that most of the people who surround us daily think it's a cake walk.

When you get to the point where you KNOW it should always, always, always be business first, it gets easier to reinforce the rules. The more you take control, the easier it gets. I promise.

Thank you all very much!

Yes, I do.
I also charge $1 per minute within my operating hours (contracted arrival times) and $2 per minute past closing time PLUS their contract will be subject to termination for arriving past closing.
They sign this... and initial it... in three places... it's bolded and highlighted.... you get the idea.
Second Home 02:34 PM 06-30-2016
Thank you all very much!

The fee should be per child .In your example it would be $10.
Second Home 02:39 PM 06-30-2016
A while back I was tired of all the late pick ups , I let late fees slip if it was only a few minutes but then I was getting mad about them being late .

I typed up a letter stating that as of xx day all policies will be enforced including all late fees . And I stuck to it , it was hard at first but it really isn't hard anymore. Sure some times a dck is picked up a few minutes late but at least I am getting paid for the extra time .
Unregistered 03:24 PM 06-30-2016
I got to where I didn't mind charging late fees. If someone paid late or p/u late, I'd send an invoice and think: pizza!!
Nurse Jackie 04:02 PM 06-30-2016
Boymom I am in the same boat. I just recently past my year anniversary and was feeling unhappy and stressed up until yesterday. I came to the conclusion that next year if business isnt doing well I'm closing shop and focusing on my family
Meeko 08:07 PM 06-30-2016
I used to enforce all my policies, but it was difficult and I felt bad doing it.

I then decided to take another approach....

Late pick up would go like this...

DCP: Sorry I'm late! Traffic was awful!"

Me: I'm so sorry Clare, but there will be a late fee added (sad, compassionate face)

DCP: But it was only a few minutes...etc...etc.etc...

I noticed that I was APOLOGIZING for enforcing my rules.

So now, the conversations go like this...

DCP: Sorry I'm late! The traffic was awful!"

Me: Sara had a great day! Gotta run..lots of things to do with my family! The late fee will be $$$. See you tomorrow! (BIG SMILE)

As soon as I stopped apologizing...they stopped trying to take advantage and make me feel bad.
CityGarden 08:17 AM 07-01-2016
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on making it to you one year daycare anniversary!!!!!!!!!

After a year in business I do think it is a good time to look at your policies / contract / handbook and see if there are areas that need to be updated. Based on your post some items I would look at:

- A clear late policy and fees spelled out.

- Sick days for yourself built into the contract - there are providers who allow X numbers of days per year they may close with pay should they become ill, parents do not get a discount for those days and fees stay the same.

- Hours of operation. One of the best pieces of advice I have gleaned from this forum is to set your closing hours 30 minutes prior to when you actually want to be finished with the day. The cushion you set yourself gives you time to clean up and prep for the next day, if I child is late you are still working anyway and then are getting financially compensated for them being their. Of course you still need to consider the hours needed in your area.

- Do you provide lunch? Are you okay with doing so? That is one item that I am not planning to provide because it is extra work that truly is not needed (in my area). I will prepare a morning snack (same as my dd's breakfast for the day) but that's all. Not providing lunch means I will not be cleaning my kitchen as much from the daycare, able to be more present with the children instead of in the kitchen cooking, etc.

Take a look at what you offer that you like? What you offer that you don't like? From there see what can be adjusted for your piece of mind.

Another item in terms of late picks up is the have a digital sign in / sign out system. I am not familiar with them but others are and some of the automatically highlight to parents they were late and can be set to automatically add the late fees. I find having something like that does reduce the conversations between parents and providers on that subject. My understanding is these program can work with an ipad / tablet or laptop..... hopefully providers who use these can chime in.

In terms of you and college, some colleges will grant credit for life experience (look at Pacific Oaks College based in California but with online options as an example) so you can be earning college credits for the work you are doing depending on if you want to go into a related fields and there are many related field to home based day care (from my mind Teaching is obvious but Social Work, Marketing, Business seem they would all apply if you can make a compelling presentation to the committee who approves of the credits).

AGAIN CONGRATS FOR MAKING IT A YEAR!!!
Unregistered 10:06 AM 07-01-2016
In my experience, the cooking has little to do with the cleanup.

It's the eating that's messy
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 07-02-2016
Hey, I've been doing this 33+ years and I still have problems asserting myself. I just redid my policies and added in it that from such'n'such a date, these policies and contract will be enforced. Nobody has tested their limits yet.
It's so much easier having it in fresh writing, especially if you started letting things slide little by little like I did. Have them sign an agreement(it's included in their contract)that they've read and agreed to the policy handbook. Then when they are late by a few minutes, you can say 'per my policies, you owe __ in late fees which can be paid___.'
I also changed my handbook a few years ago to include 'payment is based on enrollment, not attendance'. 52 weeks paid.
rosieteddy 01:36 PM 07-07-2016
I would follow CITYGARDENS ideas. Send a note saying you passed the 1 year mark. These are the changes------.I would definitely add paid time off.You have earned at least 2 paid weeks.As someone else noted your day should end when you want it to. Good luck try to think of thr benefits of working from home.
Boymom 06:29 AM 07-11-2016
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help! I do have a question about how to word something.

Late Pick-Up Policy:

My daycare closes promptly at 5:30..........then I list the late fees and then at the end I put "Please respect my family/personal time."

Is this ok? Is it unprofessional? They have been late more times than I can count and I am DONE!
Tags:anniversary, daycare experiences
Reply Up