Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stealing
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:29 AM 05-14-2012
Have you ever had a daycare child steal something from your house? This just happened to me, it was a valuable item that belonged to my daughter, it was missing for a whole week. Daycare child (age 8 this month) was questioned about it several times during the week asking if he seen anyone with it (as was everyone else) and denyed knowing anything about it.

Once the parents discovered this missing item was taken by the boy they immediately took care of the issue and were very sorry. I am very thankful the item was returned to my daughter.

However we had a small discussion about this incident this morning and the boy is STILL lying to cover up his actions after giving him a talk about how we all make mistakes and it's better to tell the truth than to lie to cover it up.

Have any of you ever had a child steal from your house and how did you handle it? I want the boy to learn from his actions but he's STILL lying
Nellie 06:39 AM 05-14-2012
I have little kids that try to take stuff home. They will put toys in there diaper bag. Most of the time the parents realize it when they get home and do the talking to. Most of the time it is once per child. I had a little girl the other day try to take her sippy cup home. Mom was picking up and while we were talking I noticed it in the bag, the girl kept putting back in the bag after I took it out, finally I took it out again and just held it. I talked with the girl the next day and you could tell she felt bad. I have only had this with 4 and under kids. I just tell them it isn't nice, it makes me feel bad, and if they take it then we won't have any "blank" here. I maybe asked why, but that seems to go no where. So most of the time they just stare at me and say they don't know. I think they do that because they don't have an excuse and saying "I just wanted it." wouldn't get them out of the situation.
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 05-14-2012
Maybe you should have a conversation about lying and stealing with him AND his parents alone so they can support you in "calling him out" about this.

I think for him to see that his parents AND you are all on the same page.

I have had this happen before as well, but luckily the child with the sticky fingers had a bad case of remorse and admitted her actions as well apologized profusely and never did it again.

I would also find ways to let this dcb know that you no longer trust him and that he must play where you can see him at all times.
My3cents 09:51 AM 05-14-2012
yes, right around that age too. Anything shiny he took it. My bathroom was upstairs so he would go to the bathroom and detour into my sons room. Parents came back with a collection of shiny little stuff. They felt bad, the child reacted the same way- knew he was caught but still denial- embarrassed. My son took it the worst- he will never forget that kid- Normal part of growing up for many kids and then you have those that would never try that in a heartbeat. Glad your daughter got her item back
AnneCordelia 09:56 AM 05-14-2012
8 years old is old enough to know not to steal. I have an 8yo boy of my own. If he was caught stealing from anyone's home he would have the fear of god put into him and he would certainly be making an apology to whom he stole from infront of me so I could witness it. My kids also write out apologies for big things like this.

As a provider, a child that age would get a written warning that if he stole from me again then there would be a termination. That will have his parents really crack down on the behaviour too. I would also never have him leave my sight for at least a few weeks.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 01:22 PM 05-14-2012
I am more upset that he lied about taking it several times and didn't come forth until he was caught.

I really wanted this to be a learning experience for him but I'm at a loss as he was making up stories again this morning about it all.

He seems to have a compulsive need to lie. I noticed the mother's day card in his backpack this afternoon which we made in daycare on Friday. I aked the boy if he gave it to his mom, he said yes...I proceeded to ask him what she said about it and he said she said it was very nice. I asked him if she put it on the table, he said yes. IT'S STILL IN HIS BACKPACK!! So he is lying...why is he doing this?? Any suggestions on how to help him? He is a good boy, but has a knack for lying and I can't beleive a word he says.
permanentvacation 02:26 PM 05-14-2012
A daycare girl - somewhere around 12 years old - stole a new book of checks from my box of checks. I was extremely upset when I noticed they were missing and rambled on about them being missing to all my parents just in conversation. A few days later, this girls mother called me after daycare hours and told me that she had just found my checkbook in her daughter's toy box. She had been writing on them pretending to be at stores shopping. I had watched her and for a few years, so I was comfortable with the family. They let me come over and get the checks and let me say anything I wanted to the girl. I told her ALL ABOUT JUVINILE HALL! I let her know that I could have her arrested and gave her a big speech! She was scared to DEATH by the time I was done with her! She stayed in my daycare and I never had a problem with her again!
Reply Up