Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Have No Microwave So NO, Please Read And Tell Me What You Think
familyschoolcare 01:57 PM 06-13-2012
So today my I did not understand or my I thought I read that DCD, sent his DCB with a lunch just in case he did not like what I was offering for lunch

today. (BTW, this is the same DCD that Gave notice two weeks ago and DCM is still sending DCB on her days the parents use Day care as their means

of “transporting” DCB, which means that sometimes DCD will drop off even though he is no longer a DCP of mine.) That in and of itself is not a problem.

With the system I have for food little to no food is wasted even if someone does not eat and basically, there has not been any problems. Until, now DCD

sent rice and chicken in a Tupperware container and at lunch time DCB asked me will you heat this up for me. I looked at him and said sorry I do not have a

microwave I have no way of heating that up. DCB looked sad and eat some of it cold. Therefore, I have typed up the following letter to go home today.

I will mail one to DCD, as I cannot count on DCD and DCM to talk to each other. Does this letter sound OK I do not want the DCD to think I am picking

on him or making things “difficult” for him as he has put it in the past. I have no plans on buying a microwave and I do supply break/Am snack; lunch; and

an afternoon snack, I do give a schedule for lunch but not for breakfast or snack.

Dear Parents and Guardians,

During the summer and on school breaks you are more than welcome to send your child with a lunch just in case they do not like what is

for lunch or snack that day. If you choose to do this please keep my food from home policy in mind, see quote below. Also, do not send things that

need to be heated or prepared by me. I do not have a microwave and thus cannot accommodate such things.

“Food from home: Children may eat food brought from home under the following guidelines: food will only be eaten when I am already offering a meal

or snack, children will not be allowed to share food with other people, including but not limited to their siblings; and children will only be allowed to

have one serving of treat or junk food per day.”

While food from home is welcome I will not heat thins up, I will not allow the children to share food, and I will only allow one non-growing food item a day.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Signed ME
cheerfuldom 02:01 PM 06-13-2012
I think it sounds fine. If you dont have a microwave and dont offer cooking or heating services than thats fine. none of this should be a surprise since this kid has been with you for awhile. a reminder seems in order.
daycare 03:07 PM 06-13-2012
why cant you heat it in a pan??

what am I missing out on here?? lol
littlemissmuffet 03:15 PM 06-13-2012
You couldn't heat his lunch in a pot on the stove??

Anyhow, I am not sure why you even allow kids to bring food, especially when you won't reheat it? The best solution to this whole situation is not allow food or drink from outside period. Simple.
GretasLittleFriends 03:20 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
You couldn't heat his lunch in a pot on the stove??

Anyhow, I am not sure why you even allow kids to bring food, especially when you won't reheat it? The best solution to this whole situation is not allow food or drink from outside period. Simple.
I certainly wouldn't want to reheat someone's lunch on the stove if I was already using the stove to cook lunch for 8 other kids. That being said, I do NOT allow food from home, unless it's a special dietary need. Otherwise Johnny brings kiwis but I am serving apples. Now everyone wants kiwi. The way I look at it, even if Johnny doesn't like what I'm serving, he won't starve. Worst case scenario he'll get what he wants to eat at home.
familyschoolcare 03:35 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
why cant you heat it in a pan??

what am I missing out on here?? lol
My kitchen was a miss form making the schedguled lunch. For the other children and my family.
familyschoolcare 03:37 PM 06-13-2012
Any way thank you to those that responded to the letter. I will print it out ans start the sending home process.
wahmof3 05:38 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I certainly wouldn't want to reheat someone's lunch on the stove if I was already using the stove to cook lunch for 8 other kids. That being said, I do NOT allow food from home, unless it's a special dietary need. Otherwise Johnny brings kiwis but I am serving apples. Now everyone wants kiwi. The way I look at it, even if Johnny doesn't like what I'm serving, he won't starve. Worst case scenario he'll get what he wants to eat at home.
Totally agree! I do not allow food from either, but totally understand the OP giving the option. I think its fine: if they don't like whats being served a sack lunch is fine but it better not need preparation. I know our elementary school system doesn't accommodate to heating up foods or prepping them when a student chooses to pack.
Soccermom 06:47 PM 06-13-2012
The thought of that poor little boy sitting there eating cold rice and chicken breaks my heart. I find the letter very confusing IMO. The words non-growing food sounds a little odd even though I get what you are trying to say. I would just state that you cannot reheat foods as it requires too much added work and that the things children bring from home need to be healthy and nutritious.
My rule has always been no food from home unless we are having a special occasion or something. End of story. I offer two choices at each meal and snack and the children choose 1. No fights, no problems and no sad children eating cold food.
EchoMom 06:59 PM 06-13-2012
I have 3 infants and 3 toddlers and all pack lunch from home. I know many of you have more than 6 kids but I don't see a problem with all the kids having different lunches and it hasn't been a problem for me. The kids want what the other has and I just say, "No, that's what his mommy brought, this is what you're mommy brought." And that's the end of it.

I have to spoon feed 2 infants and also supervise them self-feeding at their super slow pace while also cutting, microwaving, opening packaging, refilling water, etc. etc. for 3 toddlers and everyone packs a differnt lunch and everyone usually needs something microwaved. Toddler portions all take about 30 seconds to microwave, I don't think this is too much to ask.

I don't understand why you would do home daycare and not have a microwave. Good job to you for making fresh food on the stove, that's truly amazing and delicious, just saying, I personally think it's pretty ridiculous to not own a microwave and let the poor kid sit there eating stone cold food. I'd be sad if I were his mommy.

I do not provide any snacks, lunch, breakfast, milk, nothing. Everything is brought from home.
sharlan 07:37 PM 06-13-2012
What is a "non-growing food item"?
laundrymom 07:49 PM 06-13-2012
I personally would have popped it in a small pot or skillet with a bit of water and steamed it for him. I don't see the issue with not having a microwave. I don't typically use mine but once a week or so. I cook for 10 each day though. Only one of mine brings their food.
SilverSabre25 07:52 PM 06-13-2012
Hey, it's the line you've decided to draw and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever! We all have our own lines in the sand; let's not quibble over the OP's okay?

OP, your letter seems a bit off to me but I'm not putting my finger on it tonight. I'm tired; I'll chew it over and get back to you tomorrow.
daycare 09:42 PM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
My kitchen was a miss form making the schedguled lunch. For the other children and my family.
got it!!!!

I had a hard time to understand your letter, but maybe that is just me

If you don't want to reheat food, I can understand that. Especially when you have already prep food for others. I guess I am mean and I don't allow back up food. If you don't like what I serve, hopefully there is something on your plate that you will eat. If you try at least one bite of it all, I will give you one of the items that you do like from your plate. The kids can have as much as they want, becuase I will only provide healthy options.

Perhaps you can work on the letter a little bit. I think simple and straight forward is best way to go.
SilverSabre25 04:55 AM 06-14-2012
Okay, a few of those sentences were long and needlessly wordy; I cleaned that up for you.

I think the other big issue is that the no reheating rule should be stated in your food from home policy. Perhaps you should also have a rule about not sending things that need kept cold unless the parents have ice things in the bag? Just to be fair and not use up your fridge space

Then, you basically summarize the entire letter in your final paragraph, which is unnecessary and comes off feeling redundant.

Does your policy on preparation extend to needing to open up applesauce or string cheese containers or anything like that?

Finally, you could offer the parents the "carrot" of telling them how they CAN provide warm things--namely, putting the already warmed food into a thermos in the morning. It will stay warm until lunch .

Originally Posted by :

Dear Parents and Guardians,

During the summer and on school breaks you are more than welcome to send your child with a lunch just in case they do not like what is being served that day. If you choose to do this please keep my "Food From Home" policy in mind. I have restated it below for your convenience. Also, do not send things that need to be heated or prepared by me. I do not have a microwave and thus cannot accommodate such things.

“Food from home: Children may eat food brought from home under the following guidelines: food will only be eaten when I am already offering a meal or snack, children will not be allowed to share food with other people, including but not limited to their siblings; and children will only be allowed to have one serving of treat or junk food per day.”

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Signed ME

LittleD 05:00 AM 06-14-2012
For those of you you that are asking why doesn't she reheat the food, it really doesn't matter why. She asked for opinions on the letter, not run downs on how mean she is and poor little boy had to eat cold food, wah wah wah. Personally, I like chicken better when it's cold

And has anyone out there heard of a thermos? It's something that keeps warm foods warm for extended periods of time

Meh, maybe I'm grumpy cuz I haven't been up long enough, but it really chapped my but when I saw a bunch of complaints/criticism when all she wanted was help with wording.
cheerfuldom 05:39 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
For those of you you that are asking why doesn't she reheat the food, it really doesn't matter why. She asked for opinions on the letter, not run downs on how mean she is and poor little boy had to eat cold food, wah wah wah. Personally, I like chicken better when it's cold

And has anyone out there heard of a thermos? It's something that keeps warm foods warm for extended periods of time

Meh, maybe I'm grumpy cuz I haven't been up long enough, but it really chapped my but when I saw a bunch of complaints/criticism when all she wanted was help with wording.
THANK YOU!

Whats up with people getting way off topic? She asked for help with the LETTER, NOT opinions on her food policies.

It is not that big of a deal to pack a cold lunch. 90% of school age kids probably dont have a stove or microwave option once they get to 5 years old and kinder. Why is it that big of a deal to not have that option at 4 years old?

Anyway, good luck with the letter OP. There was some helpful responses. There is nothing wrong with sticking my your food policy, even if it doesnt match other providers here. Its not the end of the world if you dont reheat food.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
THANK YOU!

Whats up with people getting way off topic? She asked for help with the LETTER, NOT opinions on her food policies.

It is not that big of a deal to pack a cold lunch. 90% of school age kids probably dont have a stove or microwave option once they get to 5 years old and kinder. Why is it that big of a deal to not have that option at 4 years old?

Anyway, good luck with the letter OP. There was some helpful responses. There is nothing wrong with sticking my your food policy, even if it doesnt match other providers here. Its not the end of the world if you dont reheat food.
LOL!! These were some of my thoughts as I read this thread as well. Recently I have noticed that we all immediately start responding to threads with "Well, what I do....." or "I dont have that rule, I do this instead...." etc etc... when the OP is asking for opinions on her letter.

We all do things in whatever manner works for us and not having a microwave or wanting to take the time to re-heat food is how things work best for FamilySchoolCare so that is how she does it. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with the letter, and really like Silver's cleaned up version best. I think worst case scenario is the little guy eats cold food (Which is usually what a sack lunch is) or he eats what the provider has supplied for the day.

FWIW~ I had a dcm once who told me that any time I served fruit, I would need to peel and dice her child's so she could eat in in the manner she was used to at home. This included grapes . None of it would have been a big deal but her child was 5....almost 6.

I don't prepare anything "special" for anyone (with the exception of a special diet statement/allergies)...too much trouble and besides, once the OP heated up this little guys food, who knows how many other parents would want that too so no way would I start something small that has the potential to balloon into HUGE!
bmoreluna 10:12 AM 06-14-2012
Yes, the wording was a bit awkward, but the re-write posted here look much better.

This reminds me of a family I use to have. They insisted on packing a lunch, in spite of me being on the food program, and yes, they wanted things heated. I finally drew the line when they started sending whole oranges (which the child would only eat peeled). I told the dcm more- the next day she asked to come in and cut up the orange herself in my kitchen.

Eventually they left because they didn't like the way I did things. Good riddance. Stick to your policies- your house, your rules. If you need to be "difficult" in order to maintain you sanity, so be it.
Michelle 10:24 AM 06-14-2012
I agree with Blackcat but I was just wondering, what's wrong with microwaves? Are you afraid of cancer or something?
Just really curious, not being snarky
bmoreluna 10:39 AM 06-14-2012
Know what- I just realized that my last post was totally not helpful and off topic. The question was about wording.
So, I'm pretty new here and I think I just really needed to vent about the "orange family." It feels like a huge relief to have found this forum. Thanks everyone for listening.
My3cents 10:46 AM 06-14-2012
I read and what I think is........

I wouldn't allow one item of junk food a day. I am on the Food Program and I can serve a homemade junk food item twice a week. I don't. We do mostly fruits and vegetables.

I get so many compliments from families on how, they are so thankful for what I feed the kids because I am offering variety and they eat real meals. My kids eat vegetables, and fruits. I serve them and they see me eating them.

I am not mean, I just don't allow meal time to become a battle, a struggle, or a restaurant. We play so hard that come time to eat- that is what the kids want to do. I never force a child to eat something they truly don't like. I don't do substitutes either, because they can eat something else on their plate. No one is going to starve. If I was dealing with a child that needed calories then I would revisit my way of doing things. It is my job to serve, it the child's job to eat, even if they chose to eat nothing at all.

Do what is best for you and your program. Parents will either go with it or find another daycare. They know when they sign up with you what your policies are-

I do cut stuff up small for my kids, I don't want them choking. I enjoy doing this.
I am sure if that food really needed to be heated you would have found a way to do it or called the parent. I would just make it easy on yourself and tell your parents no outside foods unless it is for a party and I will ask you for that ahead of time. Simplify even more.

Best-
familyschoolcare 12:11 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
The thought of that poor little boy sitting there eating cold rice and chicken breaks my heart. I find the letter very confusing IMO. The words non-growing food sounds a little odd even though I get what you are trying to say. I would just state that you cannot reheat foods as it requires too much added work and that the things children bring from home need to be healthy and nutritious.
My rule has always been no food from home unless we are having a special occasion or something. End of story. I offer two choices at each meal and snack and the children choose 1. No fights, no problems and no sad children eating cold food.
I used the words Non-growing food because that is what the children are taught in school.
familyschoolcare 12:14 PM 06-14-2012
Growing foods

food from what used to be calle the four food groups

Non-growing foods Junk food and food that has other things in it so does not help childern grow. This is the way my school distirct teaches the children about what food choice to make and I am sure the kindy teacher does a better job at explaining it because the children can tell you what is and what is not a growing food.
cheerfuldom 12:17 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Growing foods

food from what used to be calle the four food groups

Non-growing foods Junk food and food that has other things in it so does not help childern grow. This is the way my school distirct teaches the children about what food choice to make and I am sure the kindy teacher does a better job at explaining it because the children can tell you what is and what is not a growing food.
I knew what you meant...but I also grew up in CA.
familyschoolcare 12:19 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I agree with Blackcat but I was just wondering, what's wrong with microwaves? Are you afraid of cancer or something?
Just really curious, not being snarky
five years ago when I moved nearly 200 miles my microwave was about to die it was making funny sounds. So I did not move it. After getting maried and settling down in the move. We had gone 3 months with out a microwave and realized we did not miss it. So we did not buy a new one.
Childminder 12:44 PM 06-14-2012
Silver's version sounded better to me, as they say: KISS - Keep It Simple Sweetheart.

As far as lunch from home it can become a big pain if you have to warm six different persons foods and also worry about little Johnny's allergies. I still see the child that eats up on the stage in the cafeteria because one of the other kids MIGHT have brought a food that he was allergic to even if they were told not to. Not that you asked fro our opinions.
Reply Up