Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan Stars Program
momofsix 11:01 AM 08-27-2012
Has anyone in MI gone through the home visit for this yet?
SunnyDay 03:39 PM 08-27-2012
I have only been licensed a few months and I don't fully understand what this is. I know I got a letter about it in the mail the other day and I know it shows up on Great Start Connect when I log in.

Is it worth all the hassle to do it? Where will parents be able to look up how may stars we have? I haven't had any referrals from Great Start Connect, so if that's where parents see the information, I don't see how it would be worth it.
momofsix 06:13 AM 08-28-2012
I think the parents will see how many start we have when they go to great start to look for child care. According to their sight, I got 2 referrals from them, but I don't think they ever called me. Every single family I have ever gotten is by word of mouth-so I'm not really that worried about earning stars to impress anyone!
I guess I filled out a basic profile back in Feb., though I don't really remember. I just got a call saying that they hadn't forgotten about me and will be coming out soon I just had a surprise inspection from licensing a few months ago (which even my inspector said they never do!) and I don't want another one. I get so nervous and act so stupid when I'm in a spot like that
I have a feeling that soon, we won't have any choice but to do the stars program though...I think that's where this is all headed
SunnyDay 11:22 AM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I think the parents will see how many start we have when they go to great start to look for child care. According to their sight, I got 2 referrals from them, but I don't think they ever called me. Every single family I have ever gotten is by word of mouth-so I'm not really that worried about earning stars to impress anyone!
I guess I filled out a basic profile back in Feb., though I don't really remember. I just got a call saying that they hadn't forgotten about me and will be coming out soon I just had a surprise inspection from licensing a few months ago (which even my inspector said they never do!) and I don't want another one. I get so nervous and act so stupid when I'm in a spot like that
I have a feeling that soon, we won't have any choice but to do the stars program though...I think that's where this is all headed
I was wondering if it would eventually be required, but I thought it was strange that we didn't hear a word about it at my licensing orientation back in May.
lovemykidstoo 11:52 AM 08-28-2012
I'm from Michigan too and I haven't done it. I also get my referrals from word of mouth and have never gotten anyone from Great Start. I don't know how they even think of requiring it thereby having people from the state go to all of the daycares to do the visits. They don't have the money for that I don't think.

Why do you think you got a surprise visit? Did you get one of those letters saying that in the next 3 months you would have a visit, but randomly or did they just show up?
momofsix 06:44 PM 08-28-2012
I got one of the letters, but so did 2 of my friends last year-one never got a visit and the other one got a scheduled one (which is what they are supposed to do).
My license was about to expire right before she came too. She said they really never do surprise visits unless there is a complaint (they don't want to come out if you're out/on vacation, etc)-but they just decided to do one for me because of the timing with my license and the letter. gee thanks!
I can't complain though, she was very happy and I passed everything-she even wrote on my paperwork (that goes online too) that I passed with "substantial compliance" on my inspection report

well...it appears "substantial compliance" doesn't mean that much-I looked at another provider's report online, she had quite a few violations and still had the same wording in her report as mine (???)
lovemykidstoo 04:41 AM 08-29-2012
The only other time I"ve received an inspection other than my initial licensing one was when I received a letter saying I was in a random 20% that would be inspected in the next 3 months. They didn't give me a specific day, just anytime within that time frame. That's unnerving for 3 months LOL! Glad you passed with flying colors!!
Reply Up