Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Charge Higher Rates Then Most?
Calikate 09:33 AM 08-24-2014
Hi everyone! Do any of you charge on the higher end for your rates? Maybe you offer special things or other high end options for parents? If you are on the high end for your area did you have a hard time filling spots? What was the reaction from clients? Thank you!!!!!!!!
nothingwithoutjoy 10:12 AM 08-24-2014
I am one of the most expensive in my area (less so, over the years, as I haven't raised my rates since I opened, but still...). Worthy wages are very important to me, and I am not willing to subsidize child care by earning a poverty income or only being able to afford what I do because of my partner's job. I pulled it off with confidence in my abilities (I've been teaching for 20 years and I'm quite good at it), documentation of my work to share with incoming families, and word of mouth. I think what I offer is well worth the money, but I don't go to extremes to try to convince parents of it; I trust that they will see the value in what I do or go elsewhere.

The only downside I've found is that I tend to only get part-time families. I've come to see that those who are willing to pay a premium for child care are usually willing to do so because they value early childhood highly...and so they are often also the ones who want to be with their children in those years. Most of my families are self-employed and enroll their kids only 2 or 3 days per week. I have a mix of wealthy families who can send their kids here full time and families who struggle to afford it, but consider it their top priority and so make it work.
NightOwl 10:27 AM 08-24-2014
I am one of the most expensive in my area. I have a degree in ECE and a Certificate in Child Psychology, 13 years of experience, dozens of references, and we have a rockin' playground. I don't necessarily DO anything special, I offer a creative curriculum with child-lead activities, which lots of people do. But I find that I rely on my education often when planning activities and I have a lot of insight into their little heads because of the psychology work. The parents recognize that and appreciate it.

There are people who hear my prices and instantly move on, but $$$ is obviously their top priority, not environment. The families I have now value early childhood as an important time developmentally and they are fine with paying a little more to get that quality. For those who struggle with the cost, they find ways to make it work. They cut corners elsewhere, not on their child's care.

It sometimes takes a little longer to fill an opening, but I look at it as a weeding out process. It's very important to me that the new child AND the parents mesh well with my existing families. And the ones who only ask about cost and move on probably wouldn't be a good fit anyway.
nannyde 11:15 AM 08-24-2014
Absolutely. Space, one to four adult to child ratio, organic food, daily walk, and organic menus. No tablets or battery toys, deep sleep, proximal supervision during all times the child is up.
Calikate 11:27 AM 08-24-2014
Thank you!!!!! I'm planning to price higher then most homes daycares in my area, but I'm confident in what I'm bringing to the table. One question what is "deep sleep" thank you!
nannyde 12:21 PM 08-24-2014
Originally Posted by Calikate:
Thank you!!!!! I'm planning to price higher then most homes daycares in my area, but I'm confident in what I'm bringing to the table. One question what is "deep sleep" thank you!
2.5 hour nap where EVERYONE sleeps every day thru the entire nap
Unregistered 12:52 PM 08-24-2014
I am closer to what the centers charge in our area,however I offer more than more than some family daycares. Organic food,curriculum,field trips,low ratio,natural playground and more of a montessori/waldorf learning environment.Most home daycares charge $130-$150/week for dull time and $25/$30 day for part time. I charge $185/week for full time and $40/day for part time. I am always full with a two year wait list.
TwinKristi 03:12 PM 08-24-2014
I charge on the higher end of average. Some charge more but of the home daycares I am high. We live in a high COL area. I have had some people say I'm too much or they found someone cheaper but I would rather that be the case. I am currently full with a waiting list and new babies enrolling when infant spots open so my rate isn't unreasonable.
midaycare 06:10 PM 08-24-2014
I opened this year and started on the low range for my area. I didn't realize I was low. Some home daycares are cheaper, but I'm not sure of the quality of care they provide.

Centers are significantly more expensive.

I've been raising my rates with each new client. No one seems to mind. I will end up on the high end with more and more that enroll, but I don't think it will be a problem.
Annalee 06:33 PM 08-24-2014
Originally Posted by Calikate:
Hi everyone! Do any of you charge on the higher end for your rates? Maybe you offer special things or other high end options for parents? If you are on the high end for your area did you have a hard time filling spots? What was the reaction from clients? Thank you!!!!!!!!
I charge within $5-$10, give or take either way, from the daycares around here, BUT I charge 52 weeks a year taking all holidays, vacations, professional days and personal days, not to mention emergency days.....this is a big decision for my clients because there is NO daycare in my area that charges when the child isn't in attendance..my clients must pay me regardless.....I stay full but there are many clients that pass me by where money talks louder than their child's care!
bananas 09:40 PM 08-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Absolutely. Space, one to four adult to child ratio, organic food, daily walk, and organic menus. No tablets or battery toys, deep sleep, proximal supervision during all times the child is up.
We're very similar. I take my kids out daily, each gets their own separate bedroom to sleep in with their own white noise machines and all equipped with noise and/or video monitors, zero battery operated toys, Montessori-based approach, and 4:1 ratio I also have purchased each child a $300 Diono Radian RXT carseat and extend rear-face them. I run about $10 more per day than the average daycare, but daycare and the cost of living is VERY high in my area in general. I have a LONG waiting list.
Play Care 03:51 AM 08-25-2014
Yes, I do.

The only special thing I offer is transportation to "real" preschool. This works well as it attracts the age group I prefer.

A lot of things mentioned here would not allow me to charge higher rates - in my area parents need to SEE the additional service.
DaveA 04:21 AM 08-25-2014
I charge the county average for care, which means I'm high for my town. I also haven't raised rates in 3 years, so a rate increase this Jan is very likely to put it back in line with the county.

I do a lot outside the classroom with the kids: we are on the go at least 2-3 times a week. That and during the day the kids do a lot more than decide on Disney Vs Nick, which seems to be the overriding curriculum for several homes I have taught CPR/ First Aid for over the years.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 08-25-2014
I charge a higher rate than most child cares in my area.

I've been in business longer than most and have a 4 star (max stars) rating.

I also offer things that a majority of cares in my area do not offer.

My rates are also dependent on the parents needs (hours/pick up times) which MOST parents have raved about as that leaves the over-all cost of child care in their hands.
Annalee 09:07 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I charge a higher rate than most child cares in my area.

I've been in business longer than most and have a 4 star (max stars) rating.

My rates are also dependent on the parents needs (hours/pick up times) which MOST parents have raved about as that leaves the over-all cost of child care in their hands.
The "stars" here needs to find a way for parent education on them....The stars program (QRIS) has been here since 2001-02 and clients STILL DO NOT know what it is nor do they appear to care! Plus, many providers have begun playing the game for assessment day to get their stars to appease QRIS/state but have NO intention of performing those unrealistic rituals daily. I explain my report card during my interview but rarely do clients even respond to it!
Blackcat31 09:24 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
The "stars" here needs to find a way for parent education on them....The stars program (QRIS) has been here since 2001-02 and clients STILL DO NOT know what it is nor do they appear to care! Plus, many providers have begun playing the game for assessment day to get their stars to appease QRIS/state but have NO intention of performing those unrealistic rituals daily. I explain my report card during my interview but rarely do clients even respond to it!
We're lucky. With our star program, we were given $45 million in scholarships to give to parents that choose to use a star rated program.

When daycare has the possibility of being free.....parents WILL educate themselves about the QRIS thing pretty quickly so we (providers) have actually not had to do anything. QRIS is doing it for us.

Parents are calling the FEW providers in my area that participate in QRIS like crazy! Ive even had a few parents call weekly to check on availability.
Annalee 09:27 AM 08-25-2014
We're lucky. With our star program, we were given $45 million in scholarships to give to parents that choose to use a star rated program.

When daycare has the possibility of being free.....parents WILL educate themselves about the QRIS thing pretty quickly so we (providers) have actually not had to do anything. QRIS is doing it for us.

Parents are calling the FEW providers in my area that participate in QRIS like crazy! Ive even had a few parents call weekly to check on availability.
I wish that was happening here!
spinnymarie 12:30 PM 08-25-2014
We charge almost double the 'average' county daily rate, and about $5 more/day. Clients are only paying for 195 days of care/year though (school calendar), so we work out to be on the high end of the regular daycares.
TooManyKitties 02:51 PM 01-25-2018
This post is several years old, I realize. Still, BlackCat, what do you offer that others don’t?
Tags:charging higher rate, rates
Reply Up